Help with motoring holiday to France

Search this Thread

Old 16 May 2001, 09:33 AM
The_Gza
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Hi guys,

I am trying to plan our first motoring holiday to France and am looking for info from all you seasoned travellers out there.

My only experience of France is from many years ago when I was a sprog and we stayed in Benodet which, if my memory serves me correctly, is in Brittany (Spears)

So far I have had a stab at trying to track down a good Travel Guide to France for some initial ideas, but faced with 4 shelves full in Waterstones I was slightly overwhelmed!

I really have no idea where the ‘nice’ parts of France are, and what areas I should be looking at traveling to. I probably don’t want to travel too far from the north of France as we might only be going for a week or so, and have to travel down from sunny Ecosse

Any recommendations for good travel guides both to take with me and for getting some ideas from?
Any recommended areas for staying and visiting?
Websites that might be useful?
Ferry crossings – what is the cheapest way to get across the Channel?
Any ScoobyNetters ‘top-tips’ for driving in France? I remember one tip for driving in Italy about not putting your handbrake on when parking as Italian drivers ‘bump’ cars to get into parking spaces that are a bit tight!

Many questions!

Any help greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Old 16 May 2001, 02:07 PM
Dave P
Scooby Regular

Wink

Firstly check out this thread
Old 16 May 2001, 02:33 PM
Jza
Scooby Regular

Hey - you've knicked my Wu-tang Name!! It said the Gza was taken! There is no father to your style mate -you should have called yourself the ODB!

You are missing some of the best motoring roads in europe by staying north.

Head from Calais down to Gap - onto Grenoble and then find a road that goes down to Cannes. This road is awesome - goes through a massive gorge - cliff edge roads, hairpins etc. And of the roads in the St Tropez - Monte Carlo are fab. And the weather is great. Takes 10 hr drive flat out to get there!!

Jza
Old 16 May 2001, 02:49 PM
Rich_R
Scooby Regular

I'll second the Dordogne - roads are unbelievable and perfect for the scoob.

Sarlat, Beynac, La Roque Gageac, Rocamadour etc. Then if you have got time - get down to Andorra/Pyrenees.

I go there each year with the scoob and I'll be there again in August.

Rich.
Old 16 May 2001, 03:13 PM
The_Gza
Scooby Regular

Talking

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Jza:
<B>Hey - you've knicked my Wu-tang Name!! It said the Gza was taken! There is no father to your style mate -you should have called yourself the ODB!

[/quote]

LOL @ Jza - I think the YDB might be more appropriate though - plus the reason The_Gza was taken is ‘cos thats me. Just ‘cos I ain’t posting doesn’t mean to say I ain’t watchin

However I shall refrain from using my Shaolin skills on you this time for attempting to knick my name – [wu mode on] especially as “your mama don’t wear no drawers” [wu mode off]

Anyway, back on topic – thanks for the replies so far
Old 16 May 2001, 03:17 PM
Lars
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

France is beautifull, but what do you want to discover, cities or countryside.
Paris is great and do not forget to visit the latin quarter around metro Saint Michell. If you prefer countryside select one of the wine districts. Champagne is the most northern, just 100 km east of Paris around Reims. Great roads, good food and wine. But as some already state south of France is the place to go in summertime. Best road in France is from Greenoble to Nice Route de Napoleon, mountain road. Or col de turine from Rally Monte Carlo just North of Monte Carlo. If you stay in the North, you can do some track driving the second Sunday in each month on Folembray
Old 16 May 2001, 03:44 PM
Dave P
Scooby Regular

Talking

Rich,

Where do you stay when you visit the Dordogne? In seven years of visits I have seen only one scoob around... and he was an Irish guy on the same site as us.

Dave
Old 16 May 2001, 04:14 PM
bros
Scooby Regular

The Dordogne is fine - was there last summer - but if you've got a Scoob you should really head to the Alps. Anywhere near Chamonix will offer blinding roads, wonderful scenery, the best mountain walking in the world (not joking), fantastic mountain biking (around Morzine/Les Gets) and the chance to climb Mont Blanc if you're that way inclined. The cable car up Mont Blanc then across to Italy is expensive (£60 each) but absolutely breathtaking.

Cheapest way across the Channel is to get two seperate day trip tickets on Le Shuttle. I've done this many times and never been caught out on it, though to make sure they don't catch you it's best to book the tickets in different names with different credit cards.

Fuel is a bit cheaper in France, though SUL is significantly so. Note that the difference between motorway and non-motorway fuel prices is even greater than in the UK.

Speeding? You can't get points, and the French police aren't exactly prevalent - I'd watch out within 50 miles of the ports though, as they like to clobber people who are speeding, late back for their ferry! Generally cruising at or around 100mph will cause you no problems other than having to stop every ten minutes to fill up.

If you're going for a pure driving holiday, then Lars' suggestion of the Route Napoleon cannot be bettered - I cycled this (then did a lap of Corsica to celebrate) but it took three weeks of 12-hours per day cycling!

Oh, and I hear the wine's not bad ....

Bros
Old 16 May 2001, 04:45 PM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Head for the mountains. Both Alps and Pyrenees have some amazing roads. If you make a concerted effort and have more than one driver you can get there in a day easily. Get an IRL sticker instead of a GB one if you possibly can. The french don't seem to mind us Irish blasting about their roads at any speed. If you are going on a budget, use the 'Garage' range of hotels and inns. They all offer secure car parking. (Useful for bikes and scoobs) and usually cost approx STG10-20.00 pppn.
First time I travelled to France, wifey and me jumped on a motorbike each and headed for the ferry with no plans other than the ferry timetable. We had a superb time. Food and accomodation is easy to find everywhere (except in Roscoff, which only opens for an hour each time a ferry is about to arrive or leave,) and locals can usually give you better ideas about the area you happen to arrive in than any travel guide
Old 16 May 2001, 04:46 PM
Luis
Scooby Newbie

Smile

Route Napoleon is a nice relaxing drive; Cannes, Nice or Monte Carlo are tourist traps IMHO, but still worth a visit at least once.
I liked Ardeche region - fantastic driving and not too many tourists.
...Carnac in Bretagne, if you find those pre-historic rocks exiting.
But if you want to see different France and test your Scoob to the limit - go to Corsica! I spent two weeks driving there last year and officially declare it my favourite place in France...Of course it can still change, as I will spend part of my vacation in France again. Maybe in Dordogne, as somebody suggested...but I doubt if it can beat the exctreme fun of meeting pigs on Corsican road
Old 16 May 2001, 05:03 PM
Rich_R
Scooby Regular

Cool

Dave,

I stay just outside of Monpazier - never seen another scoob around though.

Luis - I took out a chicken last summer - not met a pig though

Rich
Old 16 May 2001, 05:07 PM
WAL
Scooby Regular

Cool

Agree all comments regarding the Dordorgne, lovely area all places mentioned well worth a visit.
My favourite area though is the Vendee region on the Atlantic coast, lovely sandy unspoilt beaches, great roads and friendly locals.
Le Mans is generally worth visiting for a weekend in the middle of june as well....
I always find driving in France a real pleasure after the nightmare that is Southern England as well. I'd get the Pompey/ Cherbourg or Caen ferry across (about 5 hours or 2 hours on the turbo s ferry).

Warren
Old 16 May 2001, 05:18 PM
barge
Scooby Regular

Sod France

Euro Tunnel to Calis then put your foot down & dont stop until you get down to Malaga in Southen Spain, I did it last year in 18.5 hours each way including some food & fuel breaks, in a shogun so you should be able to match that, that way you get real decent weather, SUL is available all the way.

Old 16 May 2001, 10:40 PM
MrData
Scooby Regular

Wink

We always get the night ferry from pompey to Cherbourg. It's real handy as it leaves at about 11:00 at night and arrives Cherbourg at 06:00 the next morning. If you get a cabin, you can have a kip on the way over so you don't really spend too many waking hours travelling.

Dordogne & Vendee regions are fabulous but there's also some interesting stuff in Normandy, especially if you are interested in the war stuff.

I was at Omaha beach on the anniversary of D-Day and it was a moving experience. Some of the guys who fought on the beaches were there and are exceptionally proud people, quite rightly so.

I went over in the P1 and it got a lot of attention wherever we went. People in my parents village over there would come walking around with their kids in tow, purely to have a look at the car. A bunch of local petrol heads must have come to admire the car at least 5 times a day.

Wherever you go, you'll have fun. The roads are fabulous. Just don't go around thinking that you can speed everywhere, as they are as hot on it over there as they are here.

Cheers
Data
Old 17 May 2001, 01:54 PM
Jza
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>
However I shall refrain from using my Shaolin skills on you ..[/B]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

LOL

Ive got a mean Liquid Sword style. We'll have to engage in some verbal chess boxin!!!

Anyway - like they all seem to say - head for the Alps man!!!

Jza
Old 17 May 2001, 03:35 PM
ChristianR
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
deffintly go to mont michelle, great road and some great pics!