Help - building surveyor / maintenance advice needed

Search this Thread

Old 15 April 2010, 09:22 AM
MrNoisy
Supporting Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Help - building surveyor / maintenance advice needed

Hi all,

Bought a new house a few years back, but the lounge has always been cold. Had the builders back and they put insulation in the partial lean-to roof over the back of the lounge (none in there previously), but still cold.
Had the gaps under the window sills and french doors properly pointed and then sealed (they hadn't been). Still cold.
Had the roofers back and they took out the old insulation and pumped cavity wall insulation into the roof space. Still cold.

Now, I'm fed up of excuses from the builders (Persimmon Homes).

Could someone with a bit more knowledge please advise me how I could diagnose where and how the heat loss is occurring?

The builder originally offered to take thermal imaging pictures but they've now said it wouldn't work on a newer property; however it's obviously a fault because there are 5 properties on my estate with the same problem and I am considering taking them to court.
Old 15 April 2010, 01:17 PM
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is there a gas / solid fuel fire in there and if so is there ventilation for it? The vent for our gas fire seems to let in a fair bit of cold air & it's at floor level. I'm considering making some sort of cover for it as the gas fire is only really there as a feature (we have central heating as well, that's in the garage so well vented), just remove the cover when using the fire!

Also do you know how well the floors are insulated? Our floors always seem pretty cold, 1960's house so I doubt there is any insulation under the concrete. Can't wait to get rid of the laminate flooring in there and get some thick carpet down with some extra thick underlay. That should help cosy things up a bit

Check for draughts with all the door shut, use an incense stick and see if the smoke from it rises straight up or is drawn to / away from some where.

Are the radiators you have in there sufficient to heat the room? May need bigger ones or an extra one. Where is the central heating thermostat, ideally wants to be in that room or a similar living / dining room in the house.

Close the doors when you in there.
Old 15 April 2010, 11:08 PM
MrNoisy
Supporting Member

Originally Posted by Coffin Dodger
Is there a gas / solid fuel fire in there and if so is there ventilation for it? The vent for our gas fire seems to let in a fair bit of cold air & it's at floor level. I'm considering making some sort of cover for it as the gas fire is only really there as a feature (we have central heating as well, that's in the garage so well vented), just remove the cover when using the fire!
Nope, just gas central heating and rads mate. No chimneys or gas fires.

Also do you know how well the floors are insulated? Our floors always seem pretty cold, 1960's house so I doubt there is any insulation under the concrete. Can't wait to get rid of the laminate flooring in there and get some thick carpet down with some extra thick underlay. That should help cosy things up a bit
This house is only 2 years old mate - brand new. Judging by how cheap they are built nowadays it wouldn't surprise me if it had very poor insulation; I'm not sure I have any underlay on the ground floor tbh. Interesting point.

Check for draughts with all the door shut, use an incense stick and see if the smoke from it rises straight up or is drawn to / away from some where.
Nice one - yes, will do.

Are the radiators you have in there sufficient to heat the room? May need bigger ones or an extra one. Where is the central heating thermostat, ideally wants to be in that room or a similar living / dining room in the house.

Close the doors when you in there.
That's a point of contention I've been fighting with the builders. It's a regular size rad, under a window, but I reckon it's too small for the room, and I also reckon it could benefit from another. However, that said, the problem seems to be with the room retaining heat rather than the rad generating enough - it's boiling hot, the room just never warms up.
The central heating thermostat is out in the hall; stupid thing is, with the door to the lounge shut, the rest of the house is toasty - it's just that room.
I reckon I might get a thermometer and put it in both two rooms in the house to highlight the difference.

Cheers bud

Last edited by MrNoisy; 15 April 2010 at 11:15 PM.
Old 16 April 2010, 12:17 AM
specialx
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Bugeye_Scoob
Nope, just gas central heating and rads mate. No chimneys or gas fires.

This house is only 2 years old mate - brand new. Judging by how cheap they are built nowadays it wouldn't surprise me if it had very poor insulation; I'm not sure I have any underlay on the ground floor tbh. :

I had an extension completed 18 months ago and was amazed at how strict the regulations on insulation were! I started with a 2 bedroom house and built it again on the side basically building a new house, we had to insulate:The concrete floor,all outside walls, internal floors&walls/ceilings/loft spaces all done to comply with the regs, the insulation was then tested and properly checked by the council building regs chap before we could proceed with the build. (the man with the clip board!)He checked quality of materials used, BS numbers and kite marks etc even taking samples away with him! It kept my builder on his toes but that was good for me! The end result when knocked through is my new build actually keeps my older non insulated side warm, my heating bills have even stayed the same!

what I am getting at here is if done properly surely your house should be built from regulated materials and be warm and it all should have been checked for you pre/during the build! As I payed for my own regs when doing the build I am coverd by their (the councils) insurance if any build related problems pop up in the next 10 years or something like that! I would check with the council building regs department and see what regs were in place at the time of build, who passed them off etc and work from there, all this is assuming that bigger housing companies such as the one that built your house are covered by similar governing regs when they built your house.

I hope this helps any way, I hate being cold!

good luck!

Ads

Last edited by specialx; 16 April 2010 at 12:22 AM.
Old 16 April 2010, 01:41 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The front room isnt built over an indian burial ground is it? (just kidding )

Tony
Old 16 April 2010, 12:46 PM
marky1
Scooby Regular

If there is a cavity in the external wall you might be able to get an insulation injected into it. Don't know much about it but have heard of people doing this recently. It's a foam that hardens. Sounds like there may be a lack of insulation... a new build should not have major issues. Might be worth cutting out a section of plaster board and checking insulation is there and that it conforms to building regulations. If it doesn't get NHBC involved.

Last edited by marky1; 16 April 2010 at 12:47 PM.
Old 16 April 2010, 01:04 PM
Neanderthal
Scooby Regular

Do you know the sales name of the style of house you've bought?
I have a mate that works at Persimmon so could possibly get you the construction drawings.
Old 16 April 2010, 01:04 PM
Neanderthal
Scooby Regular

I have a mate that works at Persimmon so could possibly get you the construction drawings.
Old 16 April 2010, 03:34 PM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

Thermal imaging does work on new homes, I've just bought 2 new Fluke thermal imagers and I can confirm they work rather well. If I were you I'd question why the construction company doesn't want to even attempt to use them, I mean if you've a cold problem you're attempting to find the source for what better way than using a thermal imager is there!
Old 16 April 2010, 05:14 PM
Mog
Scooby Regular

If the rad is boiling hot then it is clearly not big enough for the room, post up the room dimensions and the size/type of rad so I can do a calc.

Mog
Old 20 April 2010, 07:14 AM
MrNoisy
Supporting Member

Originally Posted by Neanderthal
Yes mate it's a Mottistone. 3 storey town house.
Thanks!
Old 20 April 2010, 07:15 AM
MrNoisy
Supporting Member

Originally Posted by DCI Gene Hunt
Thermal imaging does work on new homes, I've just bought 2 new Fluke thermal imagers and I can confirm they work rather well. If I were you I'd question why the construction company doesn't want to even attempt to use them, I mean if you've a cold problem you're attempting to find the source for what better way than using a thermal imager is there!
Thanks very much - now I can go back to him and tell him so.
Are you in the building trade mate? Any hints you can give as to the approach I should force them to take to diagnose the problem?
Old 20 April 2010, 07:16 AM
MrNoisy
Supporting Member

Originally Posted by Mog
If the rad is boiling hot then it is clearly not big enough for the room, post up the room dimensions and the size/type of rad so I can do a calc.

Mog
I will try and measure and post tonight - many thanks.
Old 20 April 2010, 07:20 AM
MrNoisy
Supporting Member

Guys - thanks for the usual helpful and quick response - much appreciated.
I'll keep you posted how I get on.