Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Geniune question about the forthcoming election and voting....

Search this Thread

Old 10 April 2010, 05:58 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Geniune question about the forthcoming election and voting....

OK, to say that politics and voting etc are not my "thing" would be an understatement.

I am a prime example of Mr Apathy. Suffice to say that my concerns with life tend to be focused at home rather than as a general country-wide aspect.

Anyhoo, I AM trying to be more interested this time around. Really.

However, I have hit a stumbling block.

Let's take it as read that each party actually has differing policies on how they would run the country and get us out of the ****.

I can understand and differentiate between what each party has to offer.

My MAJOR concern is this - I don't believe a single thing anything of them say.

So with this in mind, how would you vote? Why would you vote for someone/thing you don't believe?

Do you choose the best of a bad bunch?

My local elections are somewhat pointless due to the OVERWHELMING majority a certain party has. This has been the same since year dot.

What would you do in this situation?

Or do you think "**** it" and go down the pub at the time of voting?

Dan
Old 10 April 2010, 08:07 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

I think you should vote which gives you a right to complain later!

Th best bet is to look at the Party's manifestos as they tend to stick to those during their term of office (I did say tend).

Or vote for a Party even knowing they don't stand a snowball's such as the Greens or UKIP as it does demonstrate that they do have support. Is your MP any good do you know? It's also about help with local issues. dl
Old 10 April 2010, 08:20 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Whatever you do, you must vote!

Think about whether you want the party who look like they have turned the country around - Labour.

Or you can risk everything by voting for an Eton Boy who has a personal wealth of £15million and not a clue about real life and the man in the street.

Or, you could waste it - but vote anyway - by voting LibDem (could be a tactical vote to keep the useless Tories out!)
Old 10 April 2010, 08:58 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Not going to rise to the pro-any party stuff Pete.

And I don't HAVE to vote - xyz fought etc to give me the right to vote. Doesn't necessarily mean I have to though......

And this is the argument for the apathetic voter.....

Where to turn!!
Dan
Old 10 April 2010, 10:20 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by pslewis
Or you can risk everything by voting for an Eton Boy who has a personal wealth of £15million and not a clue about real life and the man in the street.
So whilst Flash managed to lose a couple of trillion pounds, Call Me Dave still has £15M - humm, now who seems to have the best financial acumen??

mb
Old 11 April 2010, 09:41 AM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

I was thinking about this last night actually and the whole Lib Dem angle, and for once it makes sense. A hung parliment could be interesting by putting a proper mix up of people in power. Lib Dem + Tories or something.

The only way you will get anything near "change" it to take total power away from one of the big 2.

Tempted to vote Lib Dem this time around, the local guy has an honest face lol
Old 11 April 2010, 09:49 AM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo555
OK, to say that politics and voting etc are not my "thing" would be an understatement.

I am a prime example of Mr Apathy. Suffice to say that my concerns with life tend to be focused at home rather than as a general country-wide aspect.

Anyhoo, I AM trying to be more interested this time around. Really.

However, I have hit a stumbling block.

Let's take it as read that each party actually has differing policies on how they would run the country and get us out of the ****.

I can understand and differentiate between what each party has to offer.

My MAJOR concern is this - I don't believe a single thing anything of them say.

So with this in mind, how would you vote? Why would you vote for someone/thing you don't believe?

Do you choose the best of a bad bunch?

My local elections are somewhat pointless due to the OVERWHELMING majority a certain party has. This has been the same since year dot.

What would you do in this situation?

Or do you think "**** it" and go down the pub at the time of voting?

Dan
I'm in the same boat. I would like to kick the lot of them out and start again
Old 11 April 2010, 10:22 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I understand your feelings.

I think you have to look to what sort of government you want in the future.

If you want a totalitarian style with effectively a police state run by those over the water in such a way that you can no longer do anything to affect your own future since your vote no longer will be of any importance, and you don't mind being governed by the unelected who will see to it it that they will always hold power in the future appointing their friends into power, and what is called a government of our own which consists of an administration in name only which will do exactly what they are told by the commission in exchange for incredibly highly paid jobs by the commission, then you should vote for Flash and his mates-those that he has got left that is! You soon would not have to worry any more because by then our voting will be considered unecessary!

Les

Last edited by Leslie; 11 April 2010 at 10:28 AM.
Old 11 April 2010, 10:34 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

As Pete says, you really should vote anyway. The only bit of power we have at the moment is our vote and it is surprisingly powerful as you will see by the posturing by the politico's leading up to the election.

It was hard fought for in the past and if you ignore it, we will lose it eventually and we are then putty in the hands of those in power.

Not voting will not prove a thing of any use and is leading into the hands of those who want sheer domination of us all.

Les
Old 11 April 2010, 10:47 AM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

Originally Posted by Leslie
I understand your feelings.

I think you have to look to what sort of government you want in the future.

If you want a totalitarian style with effectively a police state run by those over the water in such a way that you can no longer do anything to affect your own future since your vote no longer will be of any importance, and you don't mind being governed by the unelected who will see to it it that they will always hold power in the future appointing their friends into power, and what is called a government of our own which consists of an administration in name only which will do exactly what they are told by the commission in exchange for incredibly highly paid jobs by the commission, then you should vote for Flash and his mates-those that he has got left that is! You soon would not have to worry any more because by then our voting will be considered unecessary!

Les
I have never voted Labour in my life, and the fact I detest the unelected one with a passion, I never will vote for them.
The problem I have is, I have heard nothing yet, that gives me confidence in any of them.
This Country is in a mess in all aspects.
Hundreds of ludicrous laws, chipping away at our freedom and rights. Taxation by the shed load and more to come.
I could go on
Old 11 April 2010, 11:48 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Yes I know Lee, the only thing I can say is that we know first hand what we get from from the present load of self serving plonkers and i have not been impressed!

I sincerely hope that the others will come out with a full run down of their policies as the election run up continues. That is vitally important and we are at the stage where NL can't really steal their policies any more.

Les
Old 11 April 2010, 04:08 PM
warrenm2
Scooby Regular

vote for one of the minor parties, thats how they become major parties....
Old 11 April 2010, 08:36 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Please bear in mind one simple truth ...... if it could be done, it has been!

If the Tories had the answers then they would have done it in the years they were in power .... people forget what a shambles we were in 1997!!

If Labour had the answers they would have done it too!!

I very much believe that no Party sets out to destroy the UK or Economy or the fabric of society ....... no, it's the public which does that.

If you haven't made lots of money and a success of yourself, if you wanted to be, you cannot fault anyone but yourself .... the framework is there to work with ..... millionaires are made every week - they can do it, you can!

Nah, people who blame the Government do so because they can't be arsed to do it for themselves and want to blame someone ...... the successful never wait for the government to do something for them - they make it happen for themselves.

That's the painful truth .....

Pick who you fancy, but don't expect whoever to do anything for you - do it yourself!

Sermon over ...
Old 11 April 2010, 09:10 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

If the Tories had the answers then they would have done it in the years they were in power .... people forget what a shambles we were in 1997!!

I very much believe that no Party sets out to destroy the UK or Economy or the fabric of society ....... no, it's the public which does that.

If you haven't made lots of money and a success of yourself, if you wanted to be, you cannot fault anyone but yourself .... the framework is there to work with ..... millionaires are made every week - they can do it, you can!

Nah, people who blame the Government do so because they can't be arsed to do it for themselves and want to blame someone ...... the successful never wait for the government to do something for them - they make it happen for themselves.

Pick who you fancy, but don't expect whoever to do anything for you - do it yourself!

Sermon over ...
and that, in essence is the long and short of it

well put

Last edited by hodgy0_2; 11 April 2010 at 09:11 PM.
Old 11 April 2010, 10:20 PM
Clarebabes
Scooby Regular

All the stuff Labour says they're going to do if they get re-elected, I wonder why they're not doing it already? Would never vote for them, the party don't exactly have a good track record on not messing the country up. Hate the fact the plonker who is in charge of representing us to the world, is like the class geek. How can we be taken seriously?
Old 12 April 2010, 01:00 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Sermon over ...
You are skirting around the really important considerations connected with this coming election. You are talking about purely selfish considerations which are of little importance when instead you should be discussing the future of this country and its people which is what really matters. The results of the election will affect this country eventually to an ultimate degree, you are an intelligent man,I am sure you realise that as well as the next person.

Les