Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Moving and owning your own house?

Search this Thread

Old 05 April 2010, 07:11 PM
cossie-nutter
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Moving and owning your own house?

Well Ive took the plunge on buying my own house and wanted to see how many other people out there do own there own houses ?

All I'm going to say is I need to work abit harder each month to pay the mortgage and to pull my finger out my *** to do the kitchen and bathroom,

We get the keys to the property on this Friday so it's going to be a long bloody weekend!

Best bit about the move it we will have a shop int he village and 2 pubs! Ive lived on a place with no shop or pubs for nearly 10 years now and how I have survived is beyond me!

I will get some pics on the week of the place for you to see!

Also anyone ever had any hassle with building insurance policy as mine are being ****** with prices and worse than car insurance ?
Old 05 April 2010, 07:19 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I rent and probably will be renting for the forseeable future (next 10years) as I have alot of debt to clear before I could even think about mortgages.

Its nice having local essentials close to your home, the hairdressers, shop, pub and tackle/gunshop are all within stumbling distance of my door!
Old 05 April 2010, 07:23 PM
Jamie
Super Muppet

I bought my own house with the ex sold it. Get a barge funky foofing things to have these days
Old 05 April 2010, 07:54 PM
cossie-nutter
Scooby Regular

Jamz3k I liek the idea of a gun shop near lol

It will just be nice to walk to a pub instead of taxis or getting lifts or having to drive to get a loaf of bread or milk! Really can't wait till the weekend! Just a pity it wasn't this weekend as it was a long weekend! lol
Old 05 April 2010, 07:58 PM
cossie-nutter
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jamie
I bought my own house with the ex sold it. Get a barge funky foofing things to have these days
My mate lives on a barge and there having loads of hassle about not paying council tax the cheap scate *******! lol
Old 05 April 2010, 08:11 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

Must be about 1% of the UK population own their own house, usually 5 years before they die..
Old 05 April 2010, 08:15 PM
every1sgottablue1
Scooby Regular

I own my house (well the bank does for the next couple of years!), benefit is if you are renting you are paying someone else's mortgage, and paying your own is all investment.

I started buying mine 13 years ago, I respect you for taking the plunge now with house prices as they are. My house was 62K 13 years ago now it is worth 300K! Mortgage is only 200 quid a month now, but have paid off some lump sums over the 13 year period
Old 05 April 2010, 08:16 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Hey, congrats Cossie

I own part of my house, the mortgage company the other. The problem is that the mortgage company's bit doesn't go down much and the bit I own has dropped 20pc in the last couple of years about. That is not helpful when I want to release my equity and buy somewhere else

I did think your last place was rather "military" so hope you enjoy the new one. Mind you, that neighbour... (Even though she was young )
Old 05 April 2010, 08:20 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by cossie-nutter
Jamz3k I liek the idea of a gun shop near lol
Its nicely located halfway between the pub and my house!
Old 05 April 2010, 08:31 PM
cossie-nutter
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Puff The Magic Wagon!
Hey, congrats Cossie

I own part of my house, the mortgage company the other. The problem is that the mortgage company's bit doesn't go down much and the bit I own has dropped 20pc in the last couple of years about. That is not helpful when I want to release my equity and buy somewhere else

I did think your last place was rather "military" so hope you enjoy the new one. Mind you, that neighbour... (Even though she was young )
Sure was mate being ex military! lol Nice village here we come now! I can taste the pub beer now!
Old 05 April 2010, 09:03 PM
beef-on-the-bone
Scooby Regular

shall be buying this year hopefully.................

gulp!!!!!

has to be a place with a garage though
Old 05 April 2010, 09:18 PM
Ian
Scooby Regular

congrats m8, where u living now? pm me if u wanna

party??
Old 06 April 2010, 01:46 AM
paulwrxboro
Scooby Regular

I bought a house between a pub and a club in a village, what a pain in the **** it was
Old 06 April 2010, 03:17 AM
Will
BANNED

Originally Posted by DaOne
congrats m8, where u living now? pm me if u wanna

party??
Ewwwwwww Filthy bast@rd!!!

Old 06 April 2010, 07:28 AM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

I bought my house before I even started learning to drive @ 20. I was fortunate enough to get 5x my (then) salary @ £15k to buy my mums marital home off her for £72k. That was 5 years ago and although it probably needs £10k throwing at it for platering and decorating/new heating system eventually, I don't regret getting on the property ladder in 2005. Was just before house prices round here shot to their peak in late 2007 (house was valued at £95-100k then ).

In my opinion if you buy at the right time, there's nothing wrong with being on the ladder.
Old 06 April 2010, 12:55 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

I own my own property. And I mean own. Payed off the mortgage a couple years ago.

With the way the construction industry is at the moment (thats the industry I work in) I could lose my job within months (hopefully not) but at least I know that should the worst happen and I do lose my job, I won't lose the roof over my head.

Best thing I ever did, paying it off. Overtime, bonuses and general savings all went into a pot. Once there was enough in there, I walked into Barclays and payed it off. Saved well over £100k in interest payment alone.

I did without flash holidays, and spending lots on gadgets etc, but in the 5 years 3 months I did have a mortgage I still bought new cars. Went through a Clio 172, Focus RS, and a 2005 Impreza STI PPP.

Now everything I earn is mine apart from the usual utility bills.
Old 06 April 2010, 12:59 PM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Jamz3k
Its nicely located halfway between the pub and my house!
Sounds like a disaster waiting to happen.
Old 06 April 2010, 01:33 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by cossie-nutter
Well Ive took the plunge on buying my own house and wanted to see how many other people out there do own there own houses ?

All I'm going to say is I need to work abit harder each month to pay the mortgage and to pull my finger out my *** to do the kitchen and bathroom,

We get the keys to the property on this Friday so it's going to be a long bloody weekend!

Best bit about the move it we will have a shop int he village and 2 pubs! Ive lived on a place with no shop or pubs for nearly 10 years now and how I have survived is beyond me!

I will get some pics on the week of the place for you to see!

Also anyone ever had any hassle with building insurance policy as mine are being ****** with prices and worse than car insurance ?
Good move Cossie, You won't regret it. Now you have to look forward to the time when the mortgage is all paid up. No one can touch you then comparatively speaking!

Les
Old 06 April 2010, 07:04 PM
Jamescsti
Scooby Regular

Bought my house 2 years ago, just as prices were dropping but banks were still lending, don't regret it at all, I bought a house which needed work (totally replastering and a new bathroom) i did all the work myself so costs were kept to a minimum, as a result my house is still worth what i paid for it and a bit more too.
Good luck with the purchase, the first 18 months-2 years are the hardest with having to adapt then it gets easier.
Old 06 April 2010, 07:48 PM
WRX_Dazza
Scooby Regular

Location: Going further than the station and back !!! ZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzz

Warning dont post any pics on here unless its 8 bedrooms, cinema, swimming pool, triple garage and a few stables...

NSR has a reputation to uphold !!!

Seriously,
Good luck on the ladder bud.
Old 06 April 2010, 07:57 PM
stuart n
Scooby Regular

Me and my girlfriend took the plunge this time last year and bought a brand new 2 bedroom flat. We moved in at the end of November. Got all the insurance sorted through my bank, got a great deal.

Good luck with your own place
Old 07 April 2010, 07:57 PM
speye91
Scooby Regular

I took the plunge in 2001,bought a bungalow for 24k needed alot of work doing.Spent 30k doing it up..Loft Conversion/Heating..Full works.Valued at 130k 4 years ago.
Had it valued 1 year ago 80k. Now i rent it out,and my Girlfriend also rent's her property out,and just last month moved into a nice new build. Not the small shoeboxes you see either.
Old 07 April 2010, 08:14 PM
r32
Scooby Regular

You've done a wise thing, congratulations.
Old 07 April 2010, 08:44 PM
lordharding
Scooby Regular

Wink

I started with property 25 years ago when houses were cheap 18k bought and sold watched the pennies drink / cars / lap dancing clubs etc and built up a large portfolia my main house bought 13 years ago for 150 k is now worth over 450 k and rent out another one
I was lucky although hard work and beans on toast and having a decent wage enabled me to do it and pay off my morgages but it would be hard to do again due to high prices and living costs compared to years ago
make your sacrifices and get on the property ladder then sell it when your sixty five spend the lot on booze and hookers and our wonderfull govt will look after you to your end
Old 12 April 2010, 07:35 PM
cossie-nutter
Scooby Regular

Well that's it we all in,

Fooking boiler don't work properly and no fooking Internet for 3 weeks!!!!! Oh and Sky taking the p1ss aswell!
Old 12 April 2010, 07:45 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

We are very lucky, house owned in full, nice area, still never have any spare cash though !