Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Washing your car, do you enjoy it?

Search this Thread

Old 08 April 2010, 03:36 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Washing your car, do you enjoy it?

I have done a full circle, i used to love it but now i hate it! Every feckin time i clean the motor i find more carpark dents, more scrapes and stone chips and even just noticed that some ******** has drove into the back of my car, lovingly kissed my back bumper scratching it up and drove off!

Luckily a bit of elbow grease and some scratch remover has sorted it out the bumper but does **** all for missing paint and dings!
Old 08 April 2010, 03:41 PM
subaruturbo_18
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I enjoy it until i have to wax. Ugh. So loooong. And dents are always nasty to find but new car for me soon so i'll have a fresh start
Old 08 April 2010, 04:00 PM
markr1963
Scooby Regular

Dents? Don't talk to me about dents
You guys may or may not have heard about a severe hailstorm in Perth a couple of weeks back. I wasn't in the worst of it but I would say my Scoob's bonnet, roof and near side panels have over 300 indentations, I siht you not. Unfortunately they will not 'T-cut' out.
On another note my Bro is about to have his Tiv Chimaera 'detailed'. It'll take 10 hours apparently. Before, during and after pics will ensue...
Old 08 April 2010, 04:06 PM
Steve vRS
Scooby Regular

I do but I hate doing fiddly wheels.

Steve
Old 08 April 2010, 04:19 PM
Glowplug
Scooby Regular

I use to when i had a black one, nice glassy finish
But now it seems a waste of time on a silver one, i polish half the bonnet and can't see bloody the difference
Still gets done though
Old 08 April 2010, 04:44 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

I have to handwash mine at the moment as its wearing alloys with low profile tyres, they are no good for the car wash at work (i tried and kerbed one of them lol)

I can never be arsed to handwash it, its just a total ball ache, and we clean cars for a living, doing it all day long
Thinking about going back to the stock 17" wheels as they cleared the machine fine with no issues.

It was the same when i put that bloody bodykit on the scooby with the 18" audi wheels, boiled my **** when i had to handwash it

Until the recession kicked off, i had a regular with a DB9, in every week for a clean, he did not want it put through the car wash, fair enough, his wheels would have caught anyway, so we handwashed it, and believe me, i was sick of the sight of it after 6 months

I have been cheating recently and making my own wash & wax solution with various car wash chemicals at my disposal, and have not needed to handpolish/wax the car for about 8 months LOL
Old 08 April 2010, 04:51 PM
sarasquares
Scooby Regular

7 years of washing white wheels with loads of spokes killed off the relationship for me.

Now i have a different car i am finding little things i didn't know about when i bought it. Almost makes you dread washing it again.

Looks great when its all done though
Old 08 April 2010, 05:01 PM
Turbo2
Scooby Regular

I like doing it the first time after I've bought a car. It's the only way you get to notice all the details. That novelty soon wears off though.

When I was a new driver, I would wash/vacuum my car pretty well every week and you could eat your dinner off any part of it. I used to wonder why the family next door rarely bothered washing their car: now I have kids too, I know the reason!
Old 08 April 2010, 05:11 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Another issue I have with washing my car is that I do it on the street as i have no driveway. Now in doing so I open myself up to redicule from children, my neighbour bouncing into her car saying, "ya can do mine next!"(every goddamn time, it wasn't funny the first time why would it be now?) and every old codger coming along and wrecking your head with their crap stories. All this is **** boilingly annoying but not as annoying as every single Corsa/Saxo that goes past decides to drop it down a gear and blast past me.
Old 08 April 2010, 05:48 PM
rossyboy
Scooby Regular

Received 94 Likes on 58 Posts

Depends which car. I hate washing the workhorse wagon so much that I just dont do it in winter. The old car on the other hand gets pampered
Old 08 April 2010, 07:45 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hate it until the drying stage, then at least you can see the fruits of your labour.
Old 08 April 2010, 08:35 PM
Hysteria1983
Scooby Regular

I like doing it, but mainly because I get time away from the rugrats to do it!

It's getting old now, and is showing the scars of an 11 year old car.

I'm thinking of throwing some cash her way and getting the dents sorted, but with an average of 2 dings in each panel it's going to cost a fair bit.

That is one reason I don't like washing it, a bit of dirt hides all the marks.
Old 08 April 2010, 08:46 PM
97TURBO
Scooby Regular

When I was young free and single I used to spend at least 2 hours every weekend cleaning my car. Nowadays our Golf gets a quick blast at the pressure washer every other week
Old 08 April 2010, 09:09 PM
s70rjw
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by b13bat
I use to when i had a black one, nice glassy finish
But now it seems a waste of time on a silver one, i polish half the bonnet and can't see bloody the difference
Still gets done though
What products are you using, mate?
Silver is a challenge, but with the right products you can get a fantastic finish.

By h12orw, shot with ViviCam 6324 at 2009-10-20
Old 08 April 2010, 09:44 PM
Clarebabes
Scooby Regular

Of course I hate it. I can't even manage to take sweet wrappers and general detritus out of it, let alone get my hands wet with soap suds.

I let the local Albanians to do it whilst I'm shopping twice a year. I might do it properly if I ever sell it.
Old 08 April 2010, 10:09 PM
wrx mark
Scooby Regular

love it wash it by hand at least once a week its as clean inside as it is outsidetake wheels off once a month to wash them proper and clean wheel arches and brakes bit of a cleaning fetish
Old 08 April 2010, 10:23 PM
Hysteria1983
Scooby Regular

Hi mark, do I know you? If not sorry, just recognise the username from elsewhere.
Old 08 April 2010, 11:46 PM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

No. I find it an absolute pain and it wreaks havoc with my nails
I pay the kids to do it
Old 09 April 2010, 12:21 AM
Ste RB5138
Scooby Regular

I dont like cleaning it in the winter, I quite enjoy it when you have a free afternoon and the sun is out.
Old 09 April 2010, 08:38 AM
urban
Scooby Regular

I washed mine last night after dinner.
Unfortunately it was getting a bit dark by the time I'd dried it

Neighbours **** me off however, for example why when a bloke across the road is walking past does he have to say "You'll wash the paint off that"

I really felt like saying
"Don't be so ******* stupid, and have you nothing better to do?"

The car was washed last week too - its not like I washed the thing every bloody day.
Old 09 April 2010, 09:41 AM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Clarebabes
Of course I hate it. I can't even manage to take sweet wrappers and general detritus out of it, let alone get my hands wet with soap suds.

I let the local Albanians to do it whilst I'm shopping twice a year. I might do it properly if I ever sell it.
Ah, a woman after my own heart

Back in the old days when I was a fit young thing I used to be obsessed with car cleaning and used to spend a ridiculous amount of time (and money) buffing, mopping, washing, polishing etc, I had brushes for this, brushes for that, one sponge for this, one for that, about four different buckets, hell, I even used to re-dye my black suede Momo steering wheel every week

Nowadays my poor old back can't take the strain although I did wash and polish my Scoob once last year myself. I don't want to make any of you detailers jealous but my brother-in-law's brother is the guy that makes Do-Do Juice so we get all their lovely products free and it seemed rude not to use them at least once
Old 09 April 2010, 10:35 AM
belliott69
Scooby Regular

i cleaned my new one properly yesterday for the first time, oh dear, its that bad that i'm thinking about a full respray.
Old 09 April 2010, 11:09 AM
austinwrx
Scooby Regular

its dull, boring and a waste of time.

but a necessity.

I cannot comprehend people who spend hours and hours on it. its just a car.

or bothering with lots of expensive cleaning things.

bottle of car shampoo and if I can be bothered, a whizz over with the chamois.

cars only get t-cut and polished when I sell them.
Old 09 April 2010, 11:52 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Mrs Leslie enjoys washing ours, and who am I to spoil her fun!

Les
Old 09 April 2010, 12:16 PM
jef
Scooby Regular

love it, apart from wheels!! and brake calipers.

waxing is easy as its silver
Old 09 April 2010, 12:38 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

I hate it. Especially when I find the car is once again covered in ingrained fall-out and tar spots. AGAIN.

It took forever to sort it last time and involved me requiring my head glueing back together after I cracked it open whilst fetching the tar off the bottom half of the rear bumper (car was raised in the air on a 4 post ramp, I stood up too soon after walking out from underneath )

Also I lose the will to live when tasked with cleaning all the metal/brake disk deposits off the 20spoke alloys

Therefore, I hate cleaning this:

Weird thing is. In Spain the Seat is a joy. Whilst its VERY dusty over there, as long as teh car is waxed it all just washes off!, nice open 5 spoke alloys are a doddle to clean too. Even underneath and the engine bay just rinsed off; nothing rusted either, not even teh edges of the brake disks, so even after two years the car looks like brand new underneath. Getting the sand out the interior is not so easy though.

Therefore I like cleaning this:

However, soon as the car landed back in the UK, it picked up several scratches and a door ding within one week of being here, plus its covered in fallout/whatever greasy gunk they mix in with the road salt (animal render? ) To top it off I noted the suspension components are getting surface rust. Thats what 3 months in winter on the UK's road does.

Jag has a strict no water policy; it must never get wet; ever. Partly because teh sunroof leaks, and partly due to how quickly bits start rusting on it - despite a bare metal respray. Thats not so bad, but its such a large car amd I go through quik-detailer like there was no tomorrow!

Therefore cleaning this is like cleaning the Fourth Bridge:

Last edited by ALi-B; 09 April 2010 at 12:48 PM.
Old 09 April 2010, 12:55 PM
M4RKG
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Kinda off topic, but... mines white (colour code 230) and everytime I clean it, it just never compares to 'brilliant' white cars is there anyway to make my white, whiter without having to have a paint job??
Old 09 April 2010, 04:03 PM
Jaybird-UK
Scooby Regular

Im happy to have someone else do it these days!
Old 09 April 2010, 06:08 PM
hoskib
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by M4RKG
Kinda off topic, but... mines white (colour code 230) and everytime I clean it, it just never compares to 'brilliant' white cars is there anyway to make my white, whiter without having to have a paint job??
if you haven't already take a look in the car care section for white car cleaning tips. any questions put a post up and Polished Bliss are pretty quick to answer queries

some white cars aren't very 'bingy' though, i'm not sure if yours is the same code as mine but i think scooby white always has been a bright, clean white? i think they can get oxidised like red can and that takes the depth of the finish away? think i read that one time

i just get bored 5hitless trying to keep it clean at the moment. tar spots drive me mad, but to be fair the Jeffs products do make it an easier task

that said though i do enjoy washing it, when it happens. hovering is a different matter though
Old 09 April 2010, 10:52 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

When I had a sexy curvy car ( Mazda 323F V6 ) even the water enjoyed running down it's flanks....

Oerr !

My bug-eye is curvy but not in the same way, I do it 'cos I ought to, but as stated before I cry at the sheer devastation wrought upon the flanks by feckless hosuewives in the car park at work

dunx

Quick Reply: Washing your car, do you enjoy it?