More phone advice I am afraid

Search this Thread

Old 06 April 2010, 07:06 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default More phone advice I am afraid

OK serious post about phones.

I am on my second iPhone as the first one was clearly faulty, but the second one is no great shakes in the signal strength department either, very low or dropping out while the trusty PAYG Nokia 6300 has full strength on the same network.

I love the build quality of the iPhone and the touch screen is amazing, but the signal strength issues, coupled with the toytown SMS interface, lack of SMS delivery receipts, relatively poor battery life and a SIM card holder that is virtually impossible to access without the tool (needed to do this twice with the new phone when it locked up) mean I have decided to part company with it.

I did quite a bit of research before buying the iPhone, but now I realise I use a phone differently to many of those who told me it is the best thing since sliced bread.

So what phone to get? Well this is where you lot may be able to help.

Firstly and fore mostly I need it to be an A1 phone and SMS device, easy to make calls, access detailed call logs, detect when SMS's actually arrived and MUST have SMS delivery receipts (I do a lot of work with overseas customers and suppliers and NEED to know when an SMS is delivered).

Second most important is good email support - IMAP, ability to read common attachments, multiple mailbox support etc.

Thirdly - web surfing - ability to have a choice of more than one browser, they are all buggy so best to have a couple loaded to get round one's shortcomings with the other.

Finally a good easy to use alarm clock and a reasonable camera with a flash.

And that is it. I have no real need for music, video, the time in Abu Dhabi, a compass, apps to do everything I have never needed to do anyway etc. etc.

So what have you got?

Last edited by f1_fan; 06 April 2010 at 07:20 PM.
Old 06 April 2010, 08:08 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

I use a Blackberry 9700 and a MotoDEXT, both of which I am very happy with and perform all of the above well
Old 06 April 2010, 10:35 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

I have the 9700 as well. Fits your bill pretty much. The latest big screen touchscreens like the iphone and HTC desire will do web better but I have 3 browsers on the 9700 to pick from. Camera pics are clear but nothing astounding. It's an LED flash and only 3.2 mpx which is lowish by current standards.

The desire tempts me and I'm interested when the next gen iphone is released.
Old 06 April 2010, 10:50 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Wink

Get an iPhone
Old 06 April 2010, 11:13 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by f1_fan

So what have you got?
I have the one that didn't work for you. I am on my 2nd iPhone now. New BLING handset, I mean. Old one didn't break or anything, I just got a new one on my other upgrade. Despite of all issues with it e.g. pants battery, screen format ocasionally going on a p!ss (horizontal) for nothing, screen ocasionally going blank after finishing the convo (rather than showing red bar with "end call"), inability to save contacts on the SIM without p!ssing about with ITunes or jailbreaking etc. (I haven't a clue what that is!), I like my iPhone. It is fool-proof for people like me, it keeps the logs, and I can acess my emails very easily on it. I also noticed that my answers to others' emails don't reappear in my original internet account on my PC Anyhow, iPhone imposes no fiddling with buttons etc.; just touch the screen like you touch your microwave. Sorted for the people who are used to their kitchen. I have had no probs with signal either.

I hear BB Storm is a very good one. I nearly bought that, but I think iPhone is better for the likes of me.
Old 06 April 2010, 11:28 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I got a viewty its Fabulous at video , jus what you dont need

Im in dilema myself

Bold for 'RIM' ( apparently ) - does divx ! again useless to you , also does everthing else 'ok' .30 a month
X10 / Desire android ( appararently ) - does most everything well , not the best for email maybe ? , no divx . 25 a month
Omnia 2 or Jet windows (apparently) does the same , email better i guess - if your a wndows fanboy , does divx 25 a month

Some kind of Applemac mobile - does about 3/4 's of everthing pretty well indeed, but you need to be a serious fanboy , 42 quid plus with internet
Old 06 April 2010, 11:44 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Turbohot
I have the one that didn't work for you. I am on my 2nd iPhone now. New BLING handset, I mean. Old one didn't break or anything, I just got a new one on my other upgrade. Despite of all issues with it e.g. pants battery, screen format ocasionally going on a p!ss (horizontal) for nothing, screen ocasionally going blank after finishing the convo (rather than showing red bar with "end call"), inability to save contacts on the SIM without p!ssing about with ITunes or jailbreaking etc. (I haven't a clue what that is!), I like my iPhone. It is fool-proof for people like me, it keeps the logs, and I can acess my emails very easily on it. I also noticed that my answers to others' emails don't reappear in my original internet account on my PC Anyhow, iPhone imposes no fiddling with buttons etc.; just touch the screen like you touch your microwave. Sorted for the people who are used to their kitchen. I have had no probs with signal either.

I hear BB Storm is a very good one. I nearly bought that, but I think iPhone is better for the likes of me.
So apart form all those highlights what is it you really like about you apple mobile communication device

Does it ping when you eventually get connected
Old 06 April 2010, 11:52 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dpb
So apart form all those highlights what is it you really like about you apple mobile communication device

Does it ping when you eventually get connected
Did you actually read my previous post?

I have already said that iPhone reminds me of my Microwave, so it obviously goes "ping" when all the new emails have been downloaded, dirrr! When a text comes in, the sound is like "ping" in reverse; like an inverted sound.<nods>

Would you like to know anything else?

I have downloaded all Robbie Williams songs on my iPhone, so HA!
Old 06 April 2010, 11:57 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

What nothing else,you mus be his number one fan Swati
Old 07 April 2010, 12:03 AM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dpb
What nothing else,you mus be his number one fan Swati

Too right, Duncan.

Look, We better stop highjacking this thread with our non-serious talks. F1 wants serious suggestions on mobile phones, we don't want to annoy him, mate.
Old 07 April 2010, 12:16 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Turbohot
Too right, Duncan.

Look, We better stop highjacking this thread with our non-serious talks. F1 wants serious suggestions on mobile phones, we don't want to annoy him, mate.
LOL You carry on, this is way more entertaining than the usual Apple iPhone threads on here

Thanks for the suggestions so far except for the numpty that suggested the iPhone
Old 07 April 2010, 11:31 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

OK any more serious suggestions?

BTW anyone know what an iPhone 3GS is worth on the open market or rather what it will fetch money wise as I already know what it is worth and that is not a right lot LOL
Old 07 April 2010, 11:50 AM
subaruturbo_18
Scooby Regular

OK any more serious suggestions?

BTW anyone know what an iPhone 3GS is worth on the open market or rather what it will fetch money wise as I already know what it is worth and that is not a right lot LOL
Couple hundred quid ish, maybe more on fleabay.

I have a HTC Hero andi have about 4 browsers on it. The HTC Desire, which is the newer version has access to the same market so you can get the same apps and multiple browsers. Does have sms delivery reports and you can access full email with attachments. The blackberrys however are better for email, just to my preference is the HTC android sense interface.

Any questions about any phones let me know as i work in a phone store and can find out.

Old 07 April 2010, 11:53 AM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

http://www.envirofone.com/trade/?search=Apple%203gs
Old 07 April 2010, 11:55 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by subaruturbo_18
Couple hundred quid ish, maybe more on fleabay.

I have a HTC Hero andi have about 4 browsers on it. The HTC Desire, which is the newer version has access to the same market so you can get the same apps and multiple browsers. Does have sms delivery reports and you can access full email with attachments. The blackberrys however are better for email, just to my preference is the HTC android sense interface.

Any questions about any phones let me know as i work in a phone store and can find out.

Couple of hundred quid? That's crazy, but good news.

OK I have heard good things about the Desire, will do some research and maybe back to ask a few questions.

Thanks for you help. Appreciated.
Old 07 April 2010, 11:56 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by STi wanna Subaru
Cheers
Old 07 April 2010, 11:58 AM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

I'll bung you £120 though if it's a rubbish as you say
Old 07 April 2010, 11:59 AM
subaruturbo_18
Scooby Regular

Check some other websites first though as some offer more money. If you search on google for "phone recycling" or "money for my phone" you will find plenty and may make an extra £20 or so, possibly even more.
Old 07 April 2010, 12:00 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

SSsssshhhhhh! He's selling it to me!!
Old 07 April 2010, 12:02 PM
subaruturbo_18
Scooby Regular

Couple of hundred quid? That's crazy, but good news.

OK I have heard good things about the Desire, will do some research and maybe back to ask a few questions.

Thanks for you help. Appreciated.
No problem. The best way to find out if you like it though is just to play with it. But the reviews should show it does everything you want it to. I have not had first hand experience yet but we get them in on saturday (orange) but i have read the camera is noticebly better than on the Hero and the software is the newer version.
Old 07 April 2010, 12:17 PM
Luther
Scooby Regular

So what phone to get? Well this is where you lot may be able to help.

Firstly and fore mostly I need it to be an A1 phone and SMS device, easy to make calls, access detailed call logs, detect when SMS's actually arrived and MUST have SMS delivery receipts (I do a lot of work with overseas customers and suppliers and NEED to know when an SMS is delivered).

Second most important is good email support - IMAP, ability to read common attachments, multiple mailbox support etc.

Thirdly - web surfing - ability to have a choice of more than one browser, they are all buggy so best to have a couple loaded to get round one's shortcomings with the other.

Finally a good easy to use alarm clock and a reasonable camera with a flash.

And that is it. I have no real need for music, video, the time in Abu Dhabi, a compass, apps to do everything I have never needed to do anyway etc. etc.

So what have you got?
First and foremost stay away from O2. O2 as a network doesn't support SMS delivery reports etc so no point going there. Secondly... you don't say whereabouts in the country you are.... Big city? Vodafone.... If not then I'd look at T-Mobile as they seem to have a good all round coverage.

Next.... handset.... if you are a massive emailer then you'd appreciate a dedicated QWERTY keyboard so I'd look to one of the Blackberries.... which one? I couldn't tell you.... I'm sure others could. If emailing isn't such a huge 'must-have' then without a doubt the HTC Desire.

I have both a Nexus One and the HTC Desire and the Desire just feels fantastic to use. Think iPhone but a modern usable version of it. Have a play and see what you think
Old 07 April 2010, 12:23 PM
Scooby Soon!
Scooby Regular

Next.... handset.... if you are a massive emailer then you'd appreciate a dedicated QWERTY keyboard so I'd look to one of the Blackberries.... which one? I couldn't tell you.... I'm sure others could. If emailing isn't such a huge 'must-have' then without a doubt the HTC Desire.

I would say the desire is considerably better than a blackberry for emailing (coming from a blackberry fan as I still use one), I now run 7 push email accounts on my Desire and they have every setting or option that I could ever need!

I never liked touch screen keyboards (tried the the storm and iphone) but the desires keyboard is excellent and I am a now full touch screen convert.
Old 07 April 2010, 01:59 PM
Luther
Scooby Regular

Glad you said that.... I hated touchscreen keyboards before I bought my Nexus One.... I found it a revelation. The Desire keyboard though just feels so much more polished.
Old 07 April 2010, 02:12 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

As much as I am getting used to a "decent" touchscreen, its still no replacement for my qwerty on the berry.
Old 07 April 2010, 02:20 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Snazy
As much as I am getting used to a "decent" touchscreen, its still no replacement for my qwerty on the berry.
Got water all in the battery comp of my 9700. both indicators have gone red. Still works though thankfully. I can upgrade my phone now if I want.... these desire reviews are very tempting but think i'm going to get the BB contract reduced to half price for a year and then upgrade.
Old 07 April 2010, 02:37 PM
Devildog
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Luther
First and foremost stay away from O2. O2 as a network doesn't support SMS delivery reports etc so no point going there.
Yes it does, albeit in a more basic format.

I have both a Nexus One and the HTC Desire and the Desire just feels fantastic to use. Think iPhone but a modern usable version of it. Have a play and see what you think
To the OP

Mate, get a Blackberry (provided it does your delivery reports in the way you want them).

Plenty to chose from and as standard devoid of all the extra stuff you say you don't need or don't want.

I use a blackberry for work (on Vodafone), and my iphone for everything else on 02.

If i had to have just one phone for both, I would keep the iphone and bin the blackberry, but that's just my experience and preference. Yours differs and the Blackberry sounds more like your ideal device from what I have read.
Old 07 April 2010, 02:39 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

I should have got an iphone. Jack just PM'd me to say it walks on water
Old 07 April 2010, 02:59 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by STi wanna Subaru
Got water all in the battery comp of my 9700. both indicators have gone red. Still works though thankfully. I can upgrade my phone now if I want.... these desire reviews are very tempting but think i'm going to get the BB contract reduced to half price for a year and then upgrade.
lol does that mean its full then ?
I got in the bath with my 8520 the other week, without thinking I put the hand I was holding it with in the water, pulled it out and it just carried on working Random, but I was pleased none the less.

There are some fantastic phones out there now, definatly something for everyone now. Just got to find the right match for you.

I got an upgrade due too, but not taking it just yet. Maybe I will see Sense too
Old 07 April 2010, 03:09 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Snazy
lol does that mean its full then ?
I got in the bath with my 8520 the other week, without thinking I put the hand I was holding it with in the water, pulled it out and it just carried on working Random, but I was pleased none the less.

There are some fantastic phones out there now, definatly something for everyone now. Just got to find the right match for you.

I got an upgrade due too, but not taking it just yet. Maybe I will see Sense too
It was sat on the kitchen worktop and I was cooking. water must have run along the back of the sink and the phone was sat in it. think an osmosis effect filled the battery compartment hence the water indicators going red.
Old 07 April 2010, 04:00 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Thanks for all your replies guys. Really appreciated. I am going to have a very good look at the Desire and the Blackberrys.

Quick Reply: More phone advice I am afraid