Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Selling a stolen recovered Mondeo ST220

Search this Thread

Old 30 March 2010, 10:55 AM
Buster-WRX
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Selling a stolen recovered Mondeo ST220

I dont post here very often and am a seriel lurker, but I really need some opinions on how to sell this car.

It is a black ST220 54 plate with full history and 56k on the clock. It was stolen forcibly from my wife with the keys (taumatic to say the least). The car was found 500 yards down the road 20 mins later with zero damage and it has a full new set of locks and keys caried out by my insurance company.

The car has to go as my wife wont have it back and I am now a little confused as to the best price to ask and the best method to sell.

I will start by saying that if it had not been stolen I would have asked £6300 ono and probably used ebay.

Any input muchley appreciated.

Cheers
Old 30 March 2010, 10:59 AM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

Sell it at full price if its in the condition you describe. If all the locks have been changed, and you have two sets of keys then there is nothing to detract from the sale of the car.

As its a private sale, if you are asked if it was stolen, then you should say. However, I do not think you would even have to declare that information given what you have posted if someone does not ask first. Locks can be changed for all sorts of reasons, and 500 yards of driving is not going to hurt a car (unless it was crashed in that distance).
Old 30 March 2010, 11:03 AM
Buster-WRX
Scooby Regular

It was wether or not to declare in any advert that is has been stolen that was worrying me. It has definetley not had any damage and really is in mint condition.

To be honest I am totally gutted that I have to sell it!
Old 30 March 2010, 11:07 AM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

I would not say so in the advert. I take it that it has not been written off by your insurance company? Any checks that are done on the car should show up that its totally clean, and as long as it is totally clean then I don't think there is an issue here at all.

I take it that an immobiliser kicked in to stop the car that close to home? If there is nothing more to the story, then I just don't think this is an issue. A learner driver having a go of the car would do more harm, and you'd not have to tell anyone about that either...
Old 30 March 2010, 11:15 AM
Buster-WRX
Scooby Regular

No I think it will show on the HPI stolen recovered undameged. I have a reciept from the insurance company to say just the locks wher changed.

The reason they didnt make it that far was as they took the keys from my wifes left hand she was already on the phone to the police in her right hand!

Thay got scared pulled it over locked it and took the original keys.

Quick thinking on her behalf...there is no way I would have been so calm about it...
Old 30 March 2010, 11:16 AM
my94wrx
Scooby Regular

it wont show on any hpi report unless they have written it off, hpi it yourself to check.

you should not have to say anything, the car by the sounds of it was repaired by the insurance company and not written off so as above ask full price.

Last edited by my94wrx; 30 March 2010 at 11:22 AM.
Old 30 March 2010, 12:10 PM
joey_turbo
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Don't mention it. As already said, unless it was written off, it won't come up on any checks.
Old 30 March 2010, 01:28 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

I don't want you to get the impression that we are suggesting that you should be dishonest about things. I hate it when people sell second hand cars with hidden problems. If the car is good and well maintained, sell it as such.

If it makes you feel better, leave all the paperwork about the new locks with the rest of the details of the car. Then anyone looking through can see it, and ask if they want. I would not be bothered about seeing that at all, and in fact seeing something like that would lend me to think the owner can be trusted.

Just don't tell them your wife wants a quick sale and is so shaken up that she will not drive the car again. You don't want them pulling your pants down on price.

And I should have said this before....glad you are both OK.... and seriously, she had the ***** to call the police in front of them. I'm surprised she did not get punched and have her phone stolen as well
Old 30 March 2010, 02:03 PM
Buster-WRX
Scooby Regular

Thanks for all the advice it has been helpfull. I am going to list on ebay later today with a buy it now price and make offers.

Ye the wife is ok but she was shaken at the time (as you can imagine) she scramed a whole load of abuse at them when it happened and relly stood her ground.

Id like to say I would of battered them, the reality is I probably would of shat myself!

Thanks for the help.
Old 30 March 2010, 02:10 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

If it is in any way helpful I bought my 2005 blue ST220 with 32k miles, FFSH, sat-nav, refurbished alloys (2 days before I picked it up, all 4 of them), 4 brand new tyres (good ones) in excellent condition from a main dealer for £6999. That was almost a year ago now.

I tell you this because I suspect that £6300 may have been optimistic even before it was stolen. Unfortunately, these are not cars that hold their value particularly well. I'd probably be happy to get £6k for mines now and it's only at 42k miles.
Old 30 March 2010, 02:23 PM
Buster-WRX
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Saxo Boy
If it is in any way helpful I bought my 2005 blue ST220 with 32k miles, FFSH, sat-nav, refurbished alloys (2 days before I picked it up, all 4 of them), 4 brand new tyres (good ones) in excellent condition from a main dealer for £6999. That was almost a year ago now.

I tell you this because I suspect that £6300 may have been optimistic even before it was stolen. Unfortunately, these are not cars that hold their value particularly well. I'd probably be happy to get £6k for mines now and it's only at 42k miles.
Yeah I know and the value is difficult to estimate. If I look on ebay and the trader there are some very silly (high) prices. To be honest I would be happy with £5500 for the car (webuyanycardotdickface) will pay £5100 for it if I need to get shut even quicker.

I think thats why I would list it with a make offer option....maybe with a buy it now of 6k??......
Old 30 March 2010, 02:45 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

If webuyblahblah are offering £5100 even with it's history then that is a good starting point IMHO. You probably can achieve your £5500 target. And yeah, obv start at £6k or over to leave room to come down. GL.
Old 30 March 2010, 04:12 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

500 metres down the road and not recorded? I wouldnt entertain telling prospective purchasers this.
Old 30 March 2010, 05:50 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Wait, it's NOT recorded? No waaaaaay would I tell people then! What good does it serve you (or even them in this particular case) to have them know?
Old 30 March 2010, 10:05 PM
salsa-king
Scooby Senior

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

i cn't see why this is a problem, it's not as if the car was stolen and joy ridden with police chasing it or anything like that.

If the car was't stolen/recovered and insurance payed out on it, what diference is it than having you mate having a drive in it??

you could have had more damage from locks being smashed out, glass being smashed in a car park etc.
would you tell someone you'd had the drivers side glass replaced cus the radio was nicked??
Old 31 March 2010, 11:17 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Hardly necessary to mention the short lived theft although if you did it surely should not affect the car's value.

Les