Violence 'is getting worse' in primary schools

Search this Thread

Old 29 March 2010, 07:20 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Violence 'is getting worse' in primary schools

BBC News - Violence 'is getting worse' in primary schools

Education, education, education NL promised yet this is the verdict on primary education

Some 48% of primary teachers reported pupils being physically aggressive, the Association of Teachers and Lecturers poll of more than 1,000 teachers says.

and

Some 83% of staff had reported physical aggression such as pushing and shoving, while 48% had reported the use of fists and 42% the use of legs.

Sixty four staff had reported having been physically harmed by a student.

Over a quarter of school and college staff have had to deal with physical violence from a student, and just over a third had been confronted by an aggressive parent or guardian, the survey said.

ATL general secretary Mary Bousted told Today: "We think at primary schools behaviour is definitely getting worse."

Nearly half of those questioned believed that behaviour in the classroom had become worse over the past two years, while 60% thought it had worsened over the past five.

Last edited by The Zohan; 29 March 2010 at 07:23 PM.
Old 29 March 2010, 08:11 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

And in NO other occupation in the present day UK would day to day violence or verbal abuse be taken, and ACCEPTED, as the norm

As my old boy said, 20 years ago, "The kids these days have the bit between their teeth and they are running..........and NO-ONE is going to stop them".

We gave them all the rights and took away their responsibilities, what did we expect?
Old 29 March 2010, 09:44 PM
warrenm2
Scooby Regular

bring back caning - simples
Old 29 March 2010, 09:59 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

We had the child from hell at my sons old nursery, one look at the parents and you could see where he got it from. Unfortunately by the time these kids are at Primary school the damage is done. Any school trying to implement any real discipline these days would probably end up being sued, or having "poor little" timmys Dad in threatening the teachers.
Old 29 March 2010, 10:08 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

My sis got a skool report stating she was violent in the play ground when she was at primary

- Naturally this was also under a Labour government
Old 30 March 2010, 12:49 AM
Lisawrx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by alcazar
And in NO other occupation in the present day UK would day to day violence or verbal abuse be taken, and ACCEPTED, as the norm

As my old boy said, 20 years ago, "The kids these days have the bit between their teeth and they are running..........and NO-ONE is going to stop them".

We gave them all the rights and took away their responsibilities, what did we expect?
Want to bet on that?

Place to place will vary, and signs might be up, but certainly verbal abuse is part of certain jobs (if not physical), and is accepted to a point, at least in my experience. And I only work in a shop.

Over the last couple of weeks I have had several people being verbally abusive to me (one even admitting to management what he'd done) and not one has even been barred from the shop. We have the signs up saying abuse isn't part of our job, but it is, and little if anything is done about it.
Old 30 March 2010, 02:56 AM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

I went to one job tonight, the basic story behind it was the young lad had come back from his holiday to be told he'd been dumped by his girlfriend.

Now, he's in his first year of comprehensive rather than primary school, but the example set by his father went a long way to explain how this situation reflects a lot of what people now refer to as anti-social behaviour.

"Julian" has arrived home from holiday on Thursday. On Friday, he returned to school, where "Dorothy" told him she didn't want to go out with him anymore, and she was now seeing "Tarquin".

Now Julian isn't happy about this and has been calling Tarquin names at school and over the internet.

Tarquin isn't happy that he's being disrespected (innit) so decides to have a chat with Julian on the local playing field.

Julian and Tarquin argue, and Julian, in a fit if jealousy lays in to Tarquin. Tarquin hit's the deck liek a sack of spuds at which point his two friends, "Harry" and "Will" step in and put Julian on his ****.

With this, Tarquin, Harry and Will walk away.

Julian runs home and tells his dad.

Dad then takes Julian out to find the three lads.

Dad goads Julian, telling him to be a man and fight his battles, ordering him to fight Tarquin again, after telling Harry and Will to stay out of it.

Again, Julian gets the upper hand, at which point, Harry and Will decide to rescue Tarquin. They jump in and one of them punches Julian in the eye.

With this, Dad then steps in. Dad, I should point out, is about 18 stone and 6'6" in height (and probably also in width). Dad then grabs hold of Will and pushes him over, causing a cut to his elbow.

Dad and Julian walk off at which point Tarquin and Harry throw a metal bar which just misses Dad and wave a broken bottle at his saying they'll cut him.

Along with Will, Tarquin and Harry follow Julian and his Dad home, throwing stones at the house windows, shouting abuse and even urinating on the car.

At this point, the triple 9 call came in. We responded. We arrive to find the three boys have left the scene.

The first thing we are told is that Julian has Asperger's and autism.

Gran, Dad and Mum want the three boys arresting. Fair enough. But, we've been told by Dad that Julian took part in the fight, so as far as we are concerned, it's an affray.

Gran hit's the roof when we say that if we do make arrests, her precious Julian will be coming in. She then went through the roof when told that Dad had incited this behaviour and would end up being arrested too.

Gran and Dad both thought it was perfectly acceptable that only the other three lads should be dealt with, even though Julian had taken part in two fights and Dad had encouraged one of them.

The question was asked, "Would you still have called us if Julian had won the fight?" That was answered with silence.
Old 30 March 2010, 04:48 AM
bob r
Scooby Regular

^^^^^^^^^
Someone is going to get into trouble [ScoobyWon't]
Old 30 March 2010, 07:29 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bob r
^^^^^^^^^
Someone is going to get into trouble [ScoobyWon't]

My guess is he's made enough changes to make that a generic story ..

but from your post I now know its you and @u

Anyway,

When I was younger the kids started to get violent, people were starting to carry knives, people were starting to argue with teachers .. now those idiots are parents .. what else can we expect ?
Old 30 March 2010, 10:49 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Thats it in a nutshell, cant improve on that.

PC plonkers are King!

Les
Old 30 March 2010, 11:00 AM
RA Dunk
Scooby Regular

I've said it before and I'll say it again, banning the belt/cane has been a bad thing, I got belted quite often at school and every time I got it I knew where I stood afterwards, fair enough after a while my confidence would grow again and I would start playing up again only to be brought back to earth with another dose of the belt

If kids are not corrected for doing wrong then they will keep doing wrong

All IMO of course
Old 30 March 2010, 11:11 AM
[-(o)-]
Scooby Regular

Was watching the strict parent thing on BBC last night. Great quote from the American Dad (no pun intended) the kids were staying with.

"Its the things we don't want to do that make us grow up"

There was a 17 yr old girl who'd had a kid at 15/16. She was using the babies benefits to fund her drink and drug habits. My initial reaction was anger, but it became clear she was too immature to know any better. As Alcazar says they think they should do like adults with kids responsibilities. And its our fault they think that.
Old 30 March 2010, 11:53 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RA Dunk
I've said it before and I'll say it again, banning the belt/cane has been a bad thing, I got belted quite often at school and every time I got it I knew where I stood afterwards, fair enough after a while my confidence would grow again and I would start playing up again only to be brought back to earth with another dose of the belt

If kids are not corrected for doing wrong then they will keep doing wrong

All IMO of course
+1

Les
Old 30 March 2010, 08:14 PM
Gordo
Scooby Regular

It's a relief to know that all my taxes are being spent wisely.
Old 31 March 2010, 08:14 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Spot on!
Old 31 March 2010, 12:47 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pimmo2000
My guess is he's made enough changes to make that a generic story ..

but from your post I now know its you and @u

Anyway,

When I was younger the kids started to get violent, people were starting to carry knives, people were starting to argue with teachers .. now those idiots are parents .. what else can we expect ?
How do you feel about the next generation?

Les
Old 31 March 2010, 01:04 PM
dazdavies
Scooby Regular

Received 82 Likes on 46 Posts

The bottom line is the laws and political correctness the powers that be introduce to this country are to blame.

When I was a kid we got a clip round the ear or a belt from a slipper. In those days it was classed as discipline now it's classed as assault.

We lived in fear of Mr Borden's slipper and we grew upp all the better for it.

These days the kids know that teachers can't give them a clip round the ear or a dose of the slipper. Teachers have their hands tied these days and the kids know it and take advantage of that.

Bring back the right to give the kids a clip or the slipper then maybe the little sods will learn to respect again.
Old 31 March 2010, 02:46 PM
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ScoobyWon't
"Julian" has arrived home from holiday on Thursday. On Friday, he returned to school, where "Dorothy" told him she didn't want to go out with him anymore, and she was now seeing "Tarquin".

Now Julian isn't happy about this and has been calling Tarquin names at school and over the internet.

Tarquin isn't happy that he's being disrespected (innit) so decides to have a chat with Julian on the local playing field.

Julian and Tarquin argue, and Julian, in a fit if jealousy lays in to Tarquin. Tarquin hit's the deck liek a sack of spuds at which point his two friends, "Harry" and "Will" step in and put Julian on his ****.

With this, Tarquin, Harry and Will walk away.

Julian runs home and tells his dad.

Dad then takes Julian out to find the three lads.

Dad goads Julian, telling him to be a man and fight his battles, ordering him to fight Tarquin again, after telling Harry and Will to stay out of it.

Again, Julian gets the upper hand, at which point, Harry and Will decide to rescue Tarquin. They jump in and one of them punches Julian in the eye.

With this, Dad then steps in. Dad, I should point out, is about 18 stone and 6'6" in height (and probably also in width). Dad then grabs hold of Will and pushes him over, causing a cut to his elbow.

Dad and Julian walk off at which point Tarquin and Harry throw a metal bar which just misses Dad and wave a broken bottle at his saying they'll cut him.

Along with Will, Tarquin and Harry follow Julian and his Dad home, throwing stones at the house windows, shouting abuse and even urinating on the car.
Hmmm, this is just one account of what may have gone on

If any of the above is true it should have been left when Julian decked Tarquin. Tarquin's mates shouldn't have waded in as it's simply not cricket
Old 31 March 2010, 02:49 PM
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Paul Habgood
Sixty four staff had reported having been physically harmed by a student.
These are primary school kids FFS, teachers must be right gheyers these days, beaten up by an eight year old

I agree though, the reign of fear that was the cane should be brought back for these little *******.
Old 31 March 2010, 02:56 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Coffin Dodger
These are primary school kids FFS, teachers must be right gheyers these days, beaten up by an eight year old

I agree though, the reign of fear that was the cane should be brought back for these little *******.
Yes, and yes, agreed!
Old 31 March 2010, 03:05 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Pretty obvious really that if they know they can just sail through life doing just as they please with no fear of any significant punishment, they will just get worse and worse.

They need to understand the meaning of respect and if it takes a caning to do that, there is no other viable choice.

Les
Old 31 March 2010, 03:18 PM
Will
BANNED

Originally Posted by dazdavies
When I was a kid we got a clip round the ear or a belt from a slipper.
Same here. Any disrespect/misbehaving from us and it was a good clip or a belt across the ****!!

I remember how 5 of us used to share a room and 1 of my brothers were asleep. And me and my little brother used to jump up and down on the landing until our dad got so pissed off he came flying up stairs and crashing through the door and asked us who was it and we pointed at my brother who was asleep!!! The shock he got when he was woken up from getting a belt across his **** And me and my little brother was pissing our selfs laughing under the covers! Them were the days, i was only 7

but i agree though, bring back canes and good old fashioned beatings!
Old 31 March 2010, 06:24 PM
Mus
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dazdavies
The bottom line is the laws and political correctness the powers that be introduce to this country are to blame.

When I was a kid we got a clip round the ear or a belt from a slipper. In those days it was classed as discipline now it's classed as assault.

We lived in fear of Mr Borden's slipper and we grew upp all the better for it.

These days the kids know that teachers can't give them a clip round the ear or a dose of the slipper. Teachers have their hands tied these days and the kids know it and take advantage of that.

Bring back the right to give the kids a clip or the slipper then maybe the little sods will learn to respect again.

Couldn't agree more
Old 31 March 2010, 07:00 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

So we are seriously suggesting that teachers start slippering and belting 7 & 8 year old children.......

If a teacher belted my child i'd have his friggin ears cut off (well id be damned cross anyway)

The answer lies with holding the parents responsible for the actions of the child

I cannot comprehend how more violence will help
Old 31 March 2010, 07:12 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Theres violence and then theres discipline of course ( fear of )

I think your quite right martin the option for the parent should be there from berth and for the teacher from the first day the potential little horrors stroll through the skool gates

Last edited by dpb; 31 March 2010 at 07:45 PM.
Old 31 March 2010, 07:15 PM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Martin2005
So we are seriously suggesting that teachers start slippering and belting 7 & 8 year old children.......

If a teacher belted my child i'd have his friggin ears cut off (well id be damned cross anyway)
Herin lies the problem.
If you go wading in to support your little angel regardless of what they've done then they will think they can do no wrong.

If, on the other hand, you say "good, you probably deserved it", then disipline is maintined as he knows there is no-one to defend him if he steps out of line and gets a whack on the **** as a punishment.

Your way of thinking is what is driving this country on the rocks.
astraboy.
Old 31 March 2010, 07:30 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by astraboy
Herin lies the problem.
If you go wading in to support your little angel regardless of what they've done then they will think they can do no wrong.

If, on the other hand, you say "good, you probably deserved it", then disipline is maintined as he knows there is no-one to defend him if he steps out of line and gets a whack on the **** as a punishment.

Your way of thinking is what is driving this country on the rocks.
astraboy.
A slightly annoying response

'my way of thinking' wtf does that mean??

I have never taken my childs word over that of his teachers. We have had to sort out an issue caused by my son in class (nothing serious), but we and his teacher dealt with it, with no violence, but I damned sure he'll never do it again. It's called good parenting, something there is a distinct lack of these days. So 'therein doesn't lie the problem' therein lies the solution.

Parents should be held responsible for their children actions

I want better disclipline in schools - no question it's needed, but I draw the line at canning 7 & 8 year olds, if that is what is 'driving the country onto the rocks' then I'm guilty as charged.

Plus why stop at canning why not wind the clock back further maybe send them up chimneys or into workhouses
Old 31 March 2010, 08:03 PM
Mark Mac
Scooby Regular

I think you will find anyone over 40, prolly wont have an issue with corporal punishment in our schools.

Would it be accepted, unfortunately I don't believe so.

If my child was so bad in class, I would not have an issue with him / her being caned.

Here is a question on a similar vein, how many still smack their kids......
Old 31 March 2010, 08:12 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Leslie
How do you feel about the next generation?

Les

They terrify me ..
Old 31 March 2010, 08:12 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Bring back the workhouses , now theres sense at last martin

It may well be the only way this country could ever get back to reasonable finacial/moral standing

Quick Reply: Violence 'is getting worse' in primary schools