Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Education, education, education

Search this Thread

Old 12 March 2010, 07:37 PM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Education, education, education

That was the mantra of Blair wasn't it? This is the true state of British education

Who wants a GCSE with fries on the side? - Telegraph
Old 12 March 2010, 07:45 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had a copy at the gym

They can't read, can't write and think the world owes them a living: Tesco director's damning verdict on school-leavers | Mail Online

Youngsters too often turn up late for work and interviews and fail to see the importance of dressing neatly and working with others, said Lucy Neville-Rolfe, director of corporate and legal affairs.

Many also struggle with basic maths and English as exams become easier and schools fail to properly enforce discipline.

Not just the schools issue, parents are just as responsible if not more, discipline starts at home

Last edited by The Zohan; 12 March 2010 at 07:46 PM.
Old 12 March 2010, 08:12 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Its not cool to be clever, being sh1te is celebrated and encouraged in certain schools, when the link between effort and attainment is re-established we might be ok but for now its all X-Factor, Lottery, DJ, Football Player etc etc distracting kids from just doing well at school and having a traditional career and earning well, the cream does float to the top but I suspect a lot of otherwise bright kids get sidelined due to laziness and waiting for a big break.
Old 12 March 2010, 08:56 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

When I observe the standards of things written (typed) by the younger generation on here and the likes of Facebook, I am appalled at the standard of English. Many are of an age where they grew up in Bliars tenure-ship and I have often wondered if they deliberately mistype words to be cool. However, I now think that they really are all that stupid. I commented recently on a post on FB by one such youngster in which out of nine words, six of them were wrong. When she realised my criticism she simply replied 'Fair nuff'

Extracts...

'congrates huni its a grate thing been an anti'

'nah it dont get worse gets better just think im an anty to 3 n would nt change at all i love it x'
Old 13 March 2010, 01:22 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Paul Habgood
Had a copy at the gym

They can't read, can't write and think the world owes them a living: Tesco director's damning verdict on school-leavers | Mail Online

Youngsters too often turn up late for work and interviews and fail to see the importance of dressing neatly and working with others, said Lucy Neville-Rolfe, director of corporate and legal affairs.

Many also struggle with basic maths and English as exams become easier and schools fail to properly enforce discipline.

Not just the schools issue, parents are just as responsible if not more, discipline starts at home
Good point Paul, but how do you get parents to shoulder their responsibilities these days?

How can teachers do their job anymore when children know no discipline now and just do as they like and even assault the teachers. Its an impossible situation brought on by the PC Plonkers!

Les

Les
Old 13 March 2010, 09:09 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

The little gangsters strut around thinking they are untouchable, I had words with a ****** on a bike, and he offered to "sort me out", so I offered to pull his f'ing head off and kick it off the premises..... followed by his corpse and the crappy bike.

LOL

dunx

P.S. I'm not a teacher, so I can retaliate ! South Leeds is an epi-centre of the pan-generational dole mentality, none of them have a) any respect for people/property b) any idea of civility or manners c) an education.
Old 13 March 2010, 09:12 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

d) any hope

Trending Topics

Old 13 March 2010, 11:06 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hutton_d
Hey! I'd trademark that phrase. Perhaps the Tories could use it in the upcoming election. 'We promise to eliminate epi-centres of pan-generational dole mentality' ....

Dave
Except that would be like having a policy and they don't do policies, just Spring conferences in Winter, stupid slogans a retarded giibon could have come up with, interviews with the PM elect's tart where she tells us all he is untidy and channel hops and then there is that f**king poster!!!
Old 14 March 2010, 10:28 AM
coolangatta
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

The UK youth are not all bad, but having lived for so long in a society where children, youths and young adults are polite, educated, neat, respectful and interested in making their environment better and working hard, I wonder one thing
How can the UK ever hope to compete or even survive as an industrial/advanced nation
Old 14 March 2010, 10:55 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hutton_d
And chill ....... It was only a suggestion ..... Anyway, the subject of this thread is 'education' which means that noone under the age of 30 will be able to understand what the phrase means anyway. Obviously it means ... ummm .... ummm ... errr .....

Dave
LOL Yes that was a bit vociferous wasn't it? Sorry, I guess at a time when we have a government who are woefully inept to put it mildly I was just hoping the opposition could be a bit more electable.
Old 14 March 2010, 10:56 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by coolangatta
The UK youth are not all bad, but having lived for so long in a society where children, youths and young adults are polite, educated, neat, respectful and interested in making their environment better and working hard, I wonder one thing
How can the UK ever hope to compete or even survive as an industrial/advanced nation
Spot on post - sad though it may be.
Old 14 March 2010, 11:06 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Yes you are right, they are not all bad. We do still have parents who know how to bring their children up.

It is largely the same over the channel as in Japan, the children over there are mostly well behaved and polite. They are better educated too, or should I say they have learned a great deal more at school.

Les
Old 14 March 2010, 11:10 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

I think you have hit a nail firmly on the head here, also interesting that you use the word compete as this idea of winning, of trying really hard to beat the others has almost been stamped out by NL in our schools which is a terrible thing to happen, kids from this country are going to be in for a real shock, the ones that want to work and can be bothered to that is which should really be all of them!

Parents who are long term/lifestyle unemployed are hardly role models or inspiring to their offspring, if things come easily and without any effort to work to pay for and attian things then why work, this has been almost encouraged by NL.

in a possible future with less and less UK jobs, with our manufacting closing and shrinking, call centre and cs jobs going abroard we have a shrinking job market that more youngsters will be entering. Only those with brains, guts and drive will be filling the places at all levels, the others have little hope unless perhaps they go abroad and again, what hope will they to compete against better educated and motivated competition.
Old 14 March 2010, 11:12 AM
mamoon2
Scooby Regular

The problem is that we are into 3/4 generations of scumbags and each generation has less and less respect for other people and themselves. It will only get worse!

Benefits culture has to be blamed for this and yes, Blair engineered this latest generation.

I was in the chippy the other day and four lads walked in (aged around 10) and not one of them had enough manners to say please or thank you. Its saddening that parents can't bring their kids up with basic manners. My son is three and if he doesn't use his manners, I make him! (which isn't often as its not hard to teach)
Old 14 March 2010, 12:48 PM
coolangatta
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Leslie
Yes you are right, they are not all bad. We do still have parents who know how to bring their children up.

It is largely the same over the channel as in Japan, the children over there are mostly well behaved and polite. They are better educated too, or should I say they have learned a great deal more at school.

Les
Hi Les, Yes! Is it a reluctance to be educated, a facet of UK youth, a trait that is instilled/peer or a failure of 'our' education system?

I think you have hit a nail firmly on the head here, also interesting that you use the word compete as this idea of winning, of trying really hard to beat the others has almost been stamped out by NL in our schools which is a terrible thing to happen, kids from this country are going to be in for a real shock, the ones that want to work and can be bothered to that is which should really be all of them!

Parents who are long term/lifestyle unemployed are hardly role models or inspiring to their offspring, if things come easily and without any effort to work to pay for and attian things then why work, this has been almost encouraged by NL.

in a possible future with less and less UK jobs, with our manufacting closing and shrinking, call centre and cs jobs going abroard we have a shrinking job market that more youngsters will be entering. Only those with brains, guts and drive will be filling the places at all levels, the others have little hope unless perhaps they go abroad and again, what hope will they to compete against better educated and motivated competition.
Hi Paul, the UK's future is reliant on, as you undoubtedly recognise, our people competing not only within a domestic market but also, more importantly, a global/export market.
I've been involved in the education/training of young engineers both in Japan and the UK (I'm not a teacher or lecturer). To be honest, there's little difference in aptitude (if not attitude) amongst 'the educated' within the UK or Japan.
However, what is absent from Japanese society is the 'non-competing class' which, from the outside at least, seems to be a growing and damaging section of the UK population.

Last edited by coolangatta; 14 March 2010 at 12:52 PM.
Old 14 March 2010, 09:16 PM
DYK
Scooby Regular

Education,Education,Education

Drink,****,****,girlsssss...
Old 14 March 2010, 11:56 PM
warrenm2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dingdongler
That was the mantra of Blair wasn't it?
And you believed him?
Old 15 March 2010, 12:56 AM
Lisawrx

Originally Posted by mamoon2
The problem is that we are into 3/4 generations of scumbags and each generation has less and less respect for other people and themselves. It will only get worse!

Benefits culture has to be blamed for this and yes, Blair engineered this latest generation.

I was in the chippy the other day and four lads walked in (aged around 10) and not one of them had enough manners to say please or thank you. Its saddening that parents can't bring their kids up with basic manners. My son is three and if he doesn't use his manners, I make him! (which isn't often as its not hard to teach)
I agree to a point, respect certainly is going out of the window, but it certainly isn't restricted to the youth of today by a long shot.

Working in a shop (I'm obviously one of the great uneducated) you come into contact with alot of different people of various backgrounds, ages etc. and it is staggering how many don't have simple, basic manners.

I have always been brought up to show good manners and respect towards others, and to this day I still do so. However, the amount of people (despite you having helped them) that can't be bothered to say thank you is amazing. Believe me, this is more common amongst older people than some may think. What real hope is there for our younger generation, if even the older people aren't displaying respect and manners?
Old 15 March 2010, 01:11 AM
paulwrxboro
Scooby Regular

There are plenty of people with little or no education who have gone on to be millionares they are not all worthless *****
Old 15 March 2010, 08:45 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by paulwrxboro
There are plenty of people with little or no education who have gone on to be millionares they are not all worthless *****
And you miss the point it is not just about book-reading it is about attitude, manners, social skills and motivation.

No one said all youth/school leavers are worthless ***** at all - your words.
Old 15 March 2010, 10:45 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

It's not only down to education of course as you say. Intelligence and a will to succeed goes a long way too.

But what use is a would be employee who cant communicate, turns up for an interview in tatty clothes, and has little ability as far as reading, writing, and maths is concerned. Would you employ someone like that in a job that requires some education at least.

Do you agree with the idea of sending 50% of all school leavers to university regardless. Standards are so low now that half of them have too little education to actually start a degree course, and not that many degrees are worth the paper they are written on according to employers.

Les
Old 15 March 2010, 12:11 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

But what use is a would be employee who cant communicate, turns up for an interview in tatty clothes, and has little ability as far as reading, writing, and maths is concerned. Would you employ someone like that in a job that requires some education at least.
Sounds like a description of most immigrants I've seen

Do you agree with the idea of sending 50% of all school leavers to university regardless. Standards are so low now that half of them have too little education to actually start a degree course, and not that many degrees are worth the paper they are written on according to employers.

Les
At least it keeps the jobless figures down
Old 15 March 2010, 01:24 PM
paulwrxboro
Scooby Regular

And you miss the point it is not just about book-reading it is about attitude, manners, social skills and motivation.

No one said all youth/school leavers are worthless ***** at all - your words.
yes they are my words, were did i say you said them ?
no you miss my point im saying its all about attitude not education
Old 15 March 2010, 03:48 PM
mamoon2
Scooby Regular

yes they are my words, were did i say you said them ?
no you miss my point im saying its all about attitude not education
I think what Paul means is that to education doesn't just mean schooling it means parents teaching their kids to have a good attitude / manners etc...

Education has to come from School, home and society in general.

Older people having no manners too as Lisawrx mentioned is because we are now 3/4 generations in of scumbags, so yes older scumbags who have scumbag kids who have scumbags kids! Why would you have any social skills and manners when your parents and grandparents don't have any.
Old 15 March 2010, 07:14 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Les
I agree Les, University isn't a right for every kid, it should be based on capability and results, bright kids (from any background) who apply themselves should go, if they are after a career in a certain area and those who are less academic should be directed towards vocational training, I get the impression that a lot are failing courses or bailing out and that benefits nobody.

It needs to be as level a playing field as possible but the intake needs to be capable of doing the course, even if the ones that arent bright enough do manage a pass by resits or repeating a year if they go into the world of work and arent up to it they wont last long or wont get a job at that level.
Old 16 March 2010, 01:09 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
Sounds like a description of most immigrants I've seen

At least it keeps the jobless figures down
Can't comment on the immigrants. We don't get many here and those I have seen are efficient, smart, and speak good English.

How do you feel about your taxes being used to artificially keep the jobless totals down?

Les
Old 16 March 2010, 02:18 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Les, I've been in agencies where one Eastern European guy is filling in forms for half a dozen others since the others are newly arrived and speak no English. Talk to Andy, on here, about their attitude to work. But they come over and are strasight onto benefits until they FIND work. Meanwhile, my lad has around 20 weeks JSA left and will then go onto means tested........and since he's living at home, will get virtually nowt.

As for taxes keeping jobless totals down, my taxesa re being used to pay for an increasing stream of immigrants to come**, or to hide the number of jobless too. And I DON'T like it.

** Apparently, MORE work permits were issued in the last quarter of last year, not less. So much for "British jobs for British workers" And people like Bernard Matthews advertising jobs for people who can speak fluent POLISH
Old 16 March 2010, 02:46 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
Les, I've been in agencies where one Eastern European guy is filling in forms for half a dozen others since the others are newly arrived and speak no English. Talk to Andy, on here, about their attitude to work. But they come over and are strasight onto benefits until they FIND work. Meanwhile, my lad has around 20 weeks JSA left and will then go onto means tested........and since he's living at home, will get virtually nowt.

As for taxes keeping jobless totals down, my taxesa re being used to pay for an increasing stream of immigrants to come**, or to hide the number of jobless too. And I DON'T like it.

** Apparently, MORE work permits were issued in the last quarter of last year, not less. So much for "British jobs for British workers" And people like Bernard Matthews advertising jobs for people who can speak fluent POLISH
I have not seen all this in particular going on and I can understand what you are saying about it all. We are largely insulated from it down here-so far anyway.

The deliberately uncontrolled immigration is quite wrong and is being done for ulterior motives of course. No I don't like my taxes being used that way either, seems to suit the employers with the cheap labour but it is bad to see immigrants getting priority over the indigenous people of this country in all sorts of ways, especially when we are the ones who paid in the first place for for all those benefits being dished out.

No chance of an improvement with this lot for sure and our only chance is a change with the hopes that they will sort the injustices out.

Les