Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

The Oscars, what did you think?

Search this Thread

Old 08 March 2010, 05:45 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question The Oscars, what did you think?

Personally I dont see what was so good about Hurt Locker, best film??!! after all the hype it got at the BAFTA's and having it sitting on the side for a few weeks I watched it, disappointed wasnt the word, and I like my war films, it just didnt leave you feeling anything, Black Hawk Down was far better.

Good to see Jeff Bridges get an Oscar, will be nice to see how he is in the new Tron film

Tony
Old 08 March 2010, 05:56 AM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought Hurt Locker was quite good - but not that good - better than Jarhead I think. Not sure BHD would be on my Oscar list either!

To me a great war film would be something like Hotel Rwanda or Schindler's List.

All the nominations were flawed this year and of all the films nominated my favourite - Un Prophete - didn't even win even though it was favourite a week ago! It wipes the floor with the top ten nominations. The only reason Oscars has a foreign language section is that all the foreign language films are better than the Hollywood fodder!
Old 08 March 2010, 06:18 AM
ChefDude
Scooby Regular

didn't see the programme, but I'm glad Bridges won. can't wait to see Crazy Heart.
Old 08 March 2010, 08:01 AM
fatscoobfella1
Scooby Regular

I thought district 9 deserved to win something..

IMHO it was better than Avatar and Hurt locker..

I thought HL was ok,but not the superb film that all the lovies are gushing about..

Also thought inglorious was very good..
Old 08 March 2010, 08:13 AM
Jamescsti
Scooby Regular

I really enjoyed the Hurt Locker, thought it was a great film, not as good as Black Hawk Down, but I believe that won numerous Oscars too. I think films like Schindler's List are very few and far between, and don't come out reguarly enough for the oscars
Old 08 March 2010, 08:17 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

It is not always about who or what is best, it is about back slapping and returning the favours of previous years' winners and who's face fits - first and foremost.

Last edited by The Zohan; 08 March 2010 at 09:08 AM.
Old 08 March 2010, 08:44 AM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

I thought Hurt Locker was quite good, I particularly liked the bit when he was in the supermarket charged with choosing the cereal, I really got that. It was a bit gung ho in places in that annoying American way - if it was a British film it would've been a lot better Good but not great. Maybe a few more explosions would've been better? I like explosions

Avatar I liked, but I think a lot of that was due to seeing it in 3D. It seemed to suffer a little bit too much from that American corny-ness that gets on my nerves. I thought Up In The Air was a nice film, not particularly stretching but a pleasant couple of hours oggling at George Clooney

One of my favourite films from last year was Sherlock Holmes, I really enjoyed that, but I love British films, they're always the best. Robert Downey Junior was great The other one I really enjoyed was Edge of Darkness, Ray Winstone was excellent but I think that came out this year didn't it? I can't remember The other Ray Winstone film out at the same time was good too, 44" Chest. I liked that.

Apologies for my film reviewing style being a bit rubbish, I don't think I'll ever get a job as a critic
Old 08 March 2010, 09:27 AM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by fatscoobfella1
I thought district 9 deserved to win something..

IMHO it was better than Avatar and Hurt locker..

I thought HL was ok,but not the superb film that all the lovies are gushing about..

Also thought inglorious was very good..
+1 I Thought Hurt Locker was going to be something special and it just wasn't. Black Hawk Down is better - even Three Kings is more enjoyable to watch than HL - although don't get me wrong its a great film. Its more of a lack of other films to vote for and the fact that if you make A) a comedy and B) a Sci Fi film your unlikely to win an Oscar (although Star Trek got best make up or something)

D9 should have had best picture - its the only one that did something different.

Christoph Waltz for best support in Inglorious was just a walk over. Utterly superb performance.

Can't comment on the best actor/actress because I've never even heard of the film involved.

Shame "9" didn't even get a nom for best animation - far better than UP.

Last edited by EddScott; 08 March 2010 at 09:30 AM.
Old 08 March 2010, 09:42 AM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Paul Habgood
It is not always about who or what is best, it is about back slapping and returning the favours of previous years' winners and who's face fits - first and foremost.
I couldn't disagree more - typical tabloid type comment with no substance behind it.

Hollywood owes a lot more to James Cameron than Kathryn Bigelow. A film that has netted $2bn versus a film that was hugely loss making after taking $17m.

I am not sure I rate Hurt Locker - but if anything it is exactly the opposite of what you are saying. It is Hollywood voting against the new Hollywood blockbuster.

And best supporting actor was the most deserved Oscar of the year from an Austrian actor who hasn't done Hollywood before; not to mention best supporting actress who hadn't even acted before.
Old 08 March 2010, 09:49 AM
r32
Scooby Regular

If they thought Hurt Locker was the best film I worry for those that voted. I think it was a swipe at James Cameron and the millions spent maikng Avatar
Old 08 March 2010, 10:02 AM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

I thought the hurt Locker was really good. I have no desire to go see Avatar.
Old 08 March 2010, 10:08 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Trout
I couldn't disagree more - typical tabloid type comment with no substance behind it.

Hollywood owes a lot more to James Cameron than Kathryn Bigelow. A film that has netted $2bn versus a film that was hugely loss making after taking $17m.

I am not sure I rate Hurt Locker - but if anything it is exactly the opposite of what you are saying. It is Hollywood voting against the new Hollywood blockbuster.

And best supporting actor was the most deserved Oscar of the year from an Austrian actor who hasn't done Hollywood before; not to mention best supporting actress who hadn't even acted before.
Lol, oh dear, jump down off of your high horse, if you read what i said i said it is not always about who is best.

Have a listen to Sandra Bullocks acceptance speech and her reference to Carey Mulligan, one of the runners up for Best Actress in a Leading Role - which kinda proves my comments. Bullock got it due to her propping up holywood and sales/attendances over the last 20 or so years, not though raw talent. Even Sandra knows and admitted as much and fair play to Sandra for being a big enough star with a small enough ego to admit it.

Ta, ta!

Last edited by The Zohan; 08 March 2010 at 10:25 AM.
Old 08 March 2010, 10:10 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by STi wanna Subaru
I thought the hurt Locker was really good. I have no desire to go see Avatar.

Agreed, i am a big fan of James Cameron, this film has little appeal. He has produced some of my favourite films over the years, too many to list but Aliens, T1, Escape from NY and True Lies to name a few.

Last edited by The Zohan; 08 March 2010 at 10:13 AM.
Old 08 March 2010, 10:17 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hutton_d
+1. It's just an excuse for Hollywood to get even more up itself than it normally is ....

Dave
I was of so little interest that I could not be bothered with it.

Les
Old 08 March 2010, 10:47 AM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Habgood
Even Sandra knows and admitted as much and fair play to Sandra for being a big enough star with a small enough ego to admit it.

Ta, ta!
YouTube - Sandra Bullock Razzie Awards 2010

She won worst actress acceptance speech.
Old 08 March 2010, 10:52 AM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

a major 2 fingers up to cameron.
Old 08 March 2010, 05:32 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hutton_d
+1. It's just an excuse for Hollywood to get even more up itself than it normally is ......

)
+2

Chip