Notices

Question about Cibie Oscar+ Mounting

Search this Thread

Old 18 February 2003, 01:44 PM
SonicWRX
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I have decided to replace my stock foglamps with a set of Cibie Oscar+ driving lamps that I have had for about 20 years. They were on my 1978 Subaru Brat during the college days. I found this excellent wiring writeup by SilverSmith here:

http://www.scoobynet.co.uk/bbs/thread.asp?ThreadID=148051

The thing I have not found is how to mount them. There are numerous references to the excellent Scoobysport system, but so far I have turned up no photos of those brackets. In fact, I haven't turned up any photos of Oscar+ mounts. I figure you guys in the UK have at least seen the Scoobysport system and can describe it or sketch it? Hopefully...

Thanks very much for any help on this.

Mitch in Cincinnati, OH, USA
Old 18 February 2003, 07:51 PM
NickyW
Scooby Regular

Cool

Mitch
The Scoobysport bracket is basicly an off set T shaped alloy plate that simply bolts to the flat back of the lamp. The three 'ends' of the T line up with the 3 fog light mounting holes.
Sorry, no good with photo's but hopfully you can get the gist of things.

Nick
Old 18 February 2003, 07:56 PM
SonicWRX
Scooby Newbie

Nick,

Thanks for the reply. Maybe some elaboration will help me...

First, I am assuming that the Cibie swivel mount has to come off, yes? I saw no way to make it fit with that on the housing.

Second, to hit the three foglamp holes you need an "L" shape. It there another piece coming off the "L" to bolt to the back of the light? Is this bracket pretty much a flat piece or does it bend outward to meet the light?

Mitch
Old 18 February 2003, 08:01 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Question

Have you thought of an e-mail/a letter/a phone call to Scoobysport asking for their help, and if they'll sell you some backets?
Assuming that what you have ARE Cibie Oscar+, and not just the Oscar, I can't see that the mounting will have changed, so they may supply.
Even if they can't, they are always helpful, IMO, and worth trying.
Alcazar
Old 18 February 2003, 09:00 PM
SonicWRX
Scooby Newbie

Alcazar,

Yes, I did email Scoobysport asking if they would sell me the brackets or the plans for brackets. No response yet.

My lights are Oscar+ for sure.

Mitch
Old 18 February 2003, 11:43 PM
SD_GR
Scooby Newbie

SonicWRX, are you the same guy from the USA boards? I may have seen you there!

Anyway, have you seen the Kartboy brackets? They are intended for mounting Hella 500 lamps on a USA WRX, and are offset triangles as opposed to the offset Ts supplied by Scoobysport. If the Cibies you have sport a similar mounting scheme to the Hellas (a low-set swivel bolt that can point directly backwards), the Kartboys might help you. You might email Kartboy and ask - they do sell brackets alone and they will know the Cibie lamps, I bet.

Hope this helps!
SD
Old 18 February 2003, 11:54 PM
SonicWRX
Scooby Newbie

SD,

Yes, same guy. Seems like the UK crew know their lighting much better than the USA crew which is why I am asking here. I have spent some time in Wales and Cornwall and they really need the driving lights over there.

As a matter of fact I bought the Kartboy brackets, but they are made for lights that are a bit smaller than the Cibies. Namely, they fit the PIAA 80 Pro XT and the Hellas like you mentioned. They are all wrong for the Cibies as there is no way to fit them in the foglamp hole with their swivel bracket attached.

I have been tempted to just buy the PIAAs and be done with it, but I like the challenge and I do have the Cibies collecting dust right now.

Mitch
Old 19 February 2003, 08:51 AM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Exclamation

Mitch
I've used both the Oscar + and PIAA, and PIAA work better

Better bulb design (H3) than the Oscar + H2, too
Old 19 February 2003, 11:35 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Cool

Agree with DaveTS about H2 bulbs, but if they are what you have..........:
Seriously, you do need a stable mount. AND you need to be able to align the light easily, (my biggest bugbear at the mo.)
I had a set of lights that had neither of the above, sold 'em on, and bought Scoobysport HID's: they're the dog's nadgers!!
Edited to say: I've just phoned Scoobysport for you (well it's cheaper than you doing it!!), and they won't sell the brackets alone, or the plans for 'em:
Your best bet would be a blacksmith type person (try your yellow pages: if I can find someone to weld titanium within 10 miles of where I live, I'm sure you'll find someone over in the US!!), and take him a plan of what you want, designed to be made in 1/4 mild steel. After all, all you need is the bolt centres, and an "L" shape at the bottom to bolt the light through.
You could also try a search on here for threads containing Oscars, or driving lights. I'm sure I saw one about November last year for how to mount Cibies securely. Then e-mail the guy who wrote it for plans etc.
Alcazar

[Edited by alcazar - 2/19/2003 11:45:47 AM]
Old 19 February 2003, 02:06 PM
SonicWRX
Scooby Newbie

Alcazar,

Thanks much. I got an email reply from Scoobysport and they said:

"I'm sorry but we don't sell these on their own as they require jig assembly to the light units. On their own, without the jig, they would be useless."

I emailed back asking for a picture of the brackets installed, but don't hold out much hope. As for building the brackets, I have no problems with that. I have several tons of stainless steel sitting only feet away from my desk and a crew of top notch welders and machinists at my disposal. I just need to know what to build as I don't have the time for a development process.

Mitch
Old 19 February 2003, 02:07 PM
SonicWRX
Scooby Newbie

Oh, and I did spend a lot of time searching for threads here on how to mount the lights, but could not turn up a thing.

MItch
Old 20 February 2003, 09:04 PM
IanK Spec C
Scooby Regular

Sonic,

Mail me and I'll send you pics by return.

Ian
Old 24 February 2003, 01:47 PM
DanTheMan
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I suspect you could just drill 3 holes in the back of the metal lamp holder, then drill 3 holes corresponding to these in the foglight recess in the bumper, then using washers (if required - probably not) align them up/down/left/right.
Once the metal lamp holder is bolted to the bumper you just screw the lens in.
I'm sure the scoobysport Cibie bracket is flat anyway and does not need aligning.
Is this possible, if so it would be a much cheaper way to do it and only slightly more difficult to fit ?

Edited to say I have Hella 500's fitted to mine but the single bolt at the bottom is attached to the bumper in the foglight recess BUT I find they vibrate a lot, but I suspect a bracket would not help in this case ?

[Edited by DanTheMan - 2/24/2003 1:50:04 PM]