When was the last time you went to the doctors,

Search this Thread

Old 06 February 2010, 06:23 PM
j4ckos mate
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default When was the last time you went to the doctors,

Im sure i will have my doubters but my dad is 76 tomorrow,

he was born in feb 1933, had his medical for his national service in the irish guards at 18, came out two years later in 53 had another medical and that was the last time he went to the doctors,
he was on parade for queen marys funeral in the march, and wanted to do the coronation a few months later but he was finish before the coronation and they wouldnt let him stay on for a couple of more weeks, he could only sign on for a couple of years and that would have mean him going to egypt, and he didnt fancy that.

remarkably he is in good health walks alot and gave up smoking about 20 years ago, he hasnt got many teeth because he never bothered with the dentist either but other than that hes in a1 shape.

can anyone else beat 55 years?

ps the only time he went to the hospital was to see my sister born, he fainted because of the smell and banged his head.
Old 06 February 2010, 08:25 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Carol doesnt smell that bad !
Old 06 February 2010, 08:43 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

About 13 years ago for me, and only because i had a golf ball sized lump on my ankle

Which turned out to be a damaged blood valve in my groin, not sealing and over powering the rest of the veins valves, or some other kind of nonsense, causing a huge collection of blood to collect at the bottom of my leg, had to have them all removed and sewn up

Of course it started off as a tiny little lump, but i kinda left it for a while, as men do
I went to the doctors and asked him if it was cancer
Old 06 February 2010, 08:53 PM
Hysteria1983
Scooby Regular

For myself it was when I needed someone to tell me I was pregnant (again) as I refused to believe it!

I have not been due to ill health for a few years, but I sure can't beat 55 years!
Old 06 February 2010, 10:10 PM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

Yesterday.
Old 07 February 2010, 11:49 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by j4ckos mate
Im sure i will have my doubters but my dad is 76 tomorrow,

he was born in feb 1933, had his medical for his national service in the irish guards at 18, came out two years later in 53 had another medical and that was the last time he went to the doctors,
he was on parade for queen marys funeral in the march, and wanted to do the coronation a few months later but he was finish before the coronation and they wouldnt let him stay on for a couple of more weeks, he could only sign on for a couple of years and that would have mean him going to egypt, and he didnt fancy that.

remarkably he is in good health walks alot and gave up smoking about 20 years ago, he hasnt got many teeth because he never bothered with the dentist either but other than that hes in a1 shape.

can anyone else beat 55 years?

ps the only time he went to the hospital was to see my sister born, he fainted because of the smell and banged his head.
He is impressively fit I must say, or he will put up with a lot. It was the opposite for me in the RAF-got quite comprehensive medical checks every year, including a dental check.

I have been pretty lucky with medical fitness except a few alarming bits recently, but I try to avoid bothering the doctor as much as possible, he has got enough on his plate as it is. Had to go for a couple of checks recently but glad to say the results were ok.

Les
Old 07 February 2010, 12:05 PM
RA Dunk
Scooby Regular

Hmm, probably 10+ years for me since I've been to the doctors with any sort of problem/sickness although we do have to get a medical every four years for work
Old 07 February 2010, 12:09 PM
salsa-king
Scooby Senior

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

last year for a swollen knee, before that 10years ago.
Old 07 February 2010, 12:58 PM
markr1963
Scooby Regular

Food for thought:
I'm generalising a bit but guys will happily have their cars serviced at regular intervals yet only go to the quacks only when something is actually wrong. Why is that, do you reckon? Would taking proactive measures regarding one's health be a sign of weakness?
Old 07 February 2010, 01:09 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

On average once every six years i d say , the last time for malaria advice ( not the disease ) , before that it was something similar to stickys predicament except there was no explaination for cause , it came up in a matter of twenty minutes and down again over 5 days

I thinkyour ole man should have gone to the dentist tho. or had um all out at once ! like someone i used to know , this was done in the army 'cos itll save a lot of time , pain and money '

Last edited by dpb; 07 February 2010 at 01:13 PM.
Old 07 February 2010, 01:09 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

I dont think it's a policy to be reccommended really but it does proove that it can be done, a lot of people in our society end up at the doctors every other week, I think its a balancing act and common sense, for every 76 year old that hasnt been to the docs and got away with it there will be ten more that didnt.
Old 07 February 2010, 01:17 PM
markr1963
Scooby Regular

My old man bieng one of those 10. Stubborn old bastid wouldn't go the docs, period.
Old 07 February 2010, 01:27 PM
DYK
Scooby Regular

I could nominate my old man/dad for this topic..In my 30 yrs i been here i have not known him to go to the Doctors for any illness as before then i can't say..He used to smoke a pipe and cigars when was younger but gave it up,always going for walks eating healthy though wouldn't touch junk food and still doesn't to this day..Only time i go to Doctors is for my medical...
Old 08 February 2010, 12:37 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DYK
I could nominate my old man/dad for this topic..In my 30 yrs i been here i have not known him to go to the Doctors for any illness as before then i can't say..He used to smoke a pipe and cigars when was younger but gave it up,always going for walks eating healthy though wouldn't touch junk food and still doesn't to this day..Only time i go to Doctors is for my medical...
He must enjoy and value his life, and that way he is likely to do so for a good long time.

Les
Old 08 February 2010, 01:13 PM
r32
Scooby Regular

Sadly I go too often, I think I'm falling apart..............................
Old 08 February 2010, 01:22 PM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by r32
Sadly I go too often, I think I'm falling apart..............................
Hell yeah, me too. I get one bit fixed then another fails. It's an age thing
Old 08 February 2010, 02:34 PM
urban
Scooby Regular

Touch wood I haven't had to visit my doctor since 2002