Toyota Throttle Fault?

Search this Thread

Old 05 February 2010, 12:35 PM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Toyota Throttle Fault?

Is the BBC nes department now a subsidiary of Heat magazine

BBC News - How do you stop a car with a jammed accelerator?

I'm sure they could have squeezed one or two more cliches or exagerations in there if they really tried

Some of the responses do make you wonder how easy it is for clueless fcukwits to get their hands on a driving licence these days though
Old 05 February 2010, 12:42 PM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

CEO of Toyota UK was on BBC news this morning talking about recalls due to ABS fault on Prius.

He said it was due to the software and about how agressive the ABS operated on ice or very bumpy roads.

The guy who was sitting next to the lovely Suzanna Ried said, "so there is a chance my brakes may fail over speed bumps?" WTF?

So it seems in the UK there is no throttle fault, and it's ABS on the Prius only.
Old 05 February 2010, 12:47 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

"the car in front is a Toyota" -- maybe the brake issue is the real reason why
Old 05 February 2010, 12:50 PM
Torquemada
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

lol! The Daily Mash - TOYOTA URGED TO LEAVE STING'S PRIUS ALONE
Old 05 February 2010, 12:52 PM
SunnySideUp
Scooby Regular

They should all have a re-map .... that sorts everything out AND doubles your power!!
Old 05 February 2010, 01:01 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by davyboy
CEO of Toyota UK was on BBC news this morning talking about recalls due to ABS fault on Prius.

He said it was due to the software and about how agressive the ABS operated on ice or very bumpy roads.

The guy who was sitting next to the lovely Suzanna Ried said, "so there is a chance my brakes may fail over speed bumps?" WTF?

So it seems in the UK there is no throttle fault, and it's ABS on the Prius only.
Don't forget the Peugeot 107 and Citroen C1. Both use the same throttle setup as the Toytoa Aygo. Apparently it is the cars that are fitted with ESC which are effected.
Old 05 February 2010, 01:08 PM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

I'm forgetting nothing.

I'm repeating what the CEO of Toyota and the BBC presenters was talking about.

No other models of toyota, or makes of other cars were mentioned.
Old 05 February 2010, 01:12 PM
speedking
Scooby Regular

Exclamation Not correct.

The Toyota.co.uk home page is quite clear. Not just tucked away in the small print
Old 05 February 2010, 01:18 PM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

Miguel Fonseca did not mention the word throttle during this news article.
Old 05 February 2010, 01:44 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Do Toyota engines keep running if you turn the ignition off?

Les
Old 05 February 2010, 01:53 PM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

No, but the steering can lock and can be hard to move when you turn the engine off.

Come on Les!
Old 05 February 2010, 01:56 PM
eggy790
Scooby Regular

why dont they drop down gears and let the engine blow bouncing off the limiter if that happens?

tbh dunno what i'd do if i was stook in a car with jammed accelerator lo ljust read the article i suppose dipping clutch and pulling to side is best idea, not sure it will come to your mind at the time when panicking though

Last edited by eggy790; 05 February 2010 at 01:58 PM.
Old 05 February 2010, 01:58 PM
MJW
Scooby Senior

Old 05 February 2010, 01:59 PM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

Surely you'd just let it blow?

Drop the clutch and brake to a halt.

I had the throttle stick in my 1275GT once. Top bit of degin, metal throttle lead through a hole in the bulkhead so the two rusted up. Luckily i was on a long straight (downhill though) and managed to pry the pedal up with my left foot. Left the car at the bottom of the hill though and got it recovered + fitted with a plastic throttle cable.

5t.

EDIT post above from www.Bt3a.com (give credit dude)
Old 05 February 2010, 02:01 PM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

It wouldn't blow.

Thats what a rev limiter is for.
Old 05 February 2010, 02:16 PM
eggy790
Scooby Regular

it wouldnt blow?

my mate told me of a guy who dropped his civic type r from 6th to third by accident, over revved and blew the engine...

computer data said it revved to 13,000 rpm! when it went to dealers under warranty..

soooo i think it would blow..
Old 05 February 2010, 02:25 PM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

Ah, well yes, it would do it if you did that!

But if you just put the clutch in and used the brakes to slow you down, then turn off the eingine when you had stopped you'd be OK.
Old 05 February 2010, 02:35 PM
eggy790
Scooby Regular

ahh right lol no worries , we misunderstood each other

Eddy
Old 05 February 2010, 02:52 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

No, but the steering can lock and can be hard to move when you turn the engine off.

Come on Les!
My mother remarked at the rather poor advice given by Breakfast news when you find yourself with an open throttle.

Apply the handbrake - what? at 60MPH you want me to pull the handbrake?

Turn the engine off - so whatever braking I may or may not have is now un-assisted and the steering has become dangerously heavy.

She said at no point did they suggest dipping the clutch or knocking it into neutral if its an auto.

And as for Breakfast this morning, the smug oik next to the fit lass clearly realised the CEO of Toyota wasn't very happy about attempting to explain ABS. This made him nervous so smug boy goes on smug-overload, props his head up with his hand in that "your boring me" pose people do and asks him if his brakes are going to fail.

"Carry on speaking to me like that sunshine and I guarantee they will fail"

Last edited by EddScott; 05 February 2010 at 02:54 PM.
Old 05 February 2010, 03:17 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Come on Les!
Did I suggest removing the key from the ignition lock? If you switch the key to the first off position the steering will not lock. You have to turn the key to the 2nd off position and remove the key before the steering will lock.

Come on yourself!

Les
Old 05 February 2010, 04:08 PM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

As long as you think you'd remember to do that, then good for you.

But your brakes will be pretty ineffective, and steering very hard work.....as you will no doubt be aware.
Old 05 February 2010, 05:06 PM
ricardo
Scooby Regular

On the one with the family killed the normal things you might try weren't available.

The car was a loaner from the dealership, so the driver was unfamiliar with it.

There is no ignition key on that model. To turn the engine off manually you have to hold the 'start' button down for at least three seconds, and it seems that nobody had explained that. Leaving the car would probably do it, but would you throw the key card out of the window on the off-chance?

The transmission was some sort of semi-auto (no clutch), and almost certainly protects itself from changes that would destroy the engine.

The brakes were on fire according to witnesses.
Old 05 February 2010, 10:24 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

I saw that clip, and around the same time they said that a viewer had e-mailed to say that they tried to brake (in their Prius) whilst on ice and they didn't slow down!!!

No **** Sherlock

I feel sorry for the Toyota boss, who tried to explain (despite English not being his native language) that the ABS was tuned to be a little aggressive but there had been no reported problems in Europe.

The BBC Breakfast (previously know as the Breakfast News) - dumbing down reality on behalf of the licence payers

mb
Old 05 February 2010, 10:28 PM
eggy790
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ricardo
On the one with the family killed the normal things you might try weren't available.

The car was a loaner from the dealership, so the driver was unfamiliar with it.

There is no ignition key on that model. To turn the engine off manually you have to hold the 'start' button down for at least three seconds, and it seems that nobody had explained that. Leaving the car would probably do it, but would you throw the key card out of the window on the off-chance?

The transmission was some sort of semi-auto (no clutch), and almost certainly protects itself from changes that would destroy the engine.

The brakes were on fire according to witnesses.
bloody hell
Old 05 February 2010, 10:41 PM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by EddScott

Turn the engine off - so whatever braking I may or may not have is now un-assisted and the steering has become dangerously heavy.
You'd still have servo assistance for three or four presses, try it. Turn your car off, press the brake and you'll hear a hiss. I'm confident you could stop a car safely without the engine running.
Old 05 February 2010, 10:52 PM
scud8
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ricardo
That sounds like a dangerous design. I have a Citroen C4 with their electronic gear system that won't let me change up if it would drop the engine revs too much, and I assume (although I've never tried) wouldn't let me change down if it would over-rev the engine. However it still has a manual level to put it in neutral that can't be overriden by any of the electronics - there's no way I would have bought it if it didn't.
Old 05 February 2010, 11:00 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

As ricardo has posted and indeed what I said on the first thread yesterday about this, concerning the Lexus driver, somewhat sheds a completely different light on what may have actually been the case.

You can't turn a key off in a key-less car and if you don't know the 3 second button procedure you're not going to be turning the engine off any time soon. Maybe the auto box wouldn't go into neutral for whatever reason. That leaves you only one sensible option to stand on the brakes. The report made it clear the cars brakes were shot, so at a guess the driver did this.

Mentioning keys and old mechanical designs appear to be totally irrelevant in this sad case.
Old 05 February 2010, 11:30 PM
Dedrater
Scooby Regular

Crazy, I was at first thinking what a ********, but it makes sence really, no key to shut engine off, no clutch pedal and a stick you have no idea what it does (will it or wont it do something?)

My Mam would be in the same situation, she really would,
Old 05 February 2010, 11:40 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Interesting thing I found on the Seat is if you press the brake pedal at the same time as pressing the accelerator pedal, it cuts the power and activates the automatic brake assist system (basically, the car does an emergency stop, until I release the pedals).

This is probably a safegaurd against pedals being jammed by unsecured floor mats (which people should pay alot more care and attention to - My dad was a b**ger for this), or people driving with plaster casts on their right foot.

So top tip in a Seat Altea TDi (and maybe other VAG cars too) ; Don't try overcome turbo lag and spool up the turbo by using left foot braking.

Pulling the handbrake switch on a Bentley Continental GT does the same thing (cuts power and activates emergency brake assist), not that many people do that, but I thought I'd mention it just incase there are any Conti GT owners out there with errant lambswool floormats.

Last edited by ALi-B; 05 February 2010 at 11:44 PM.
Old 06 February 2010, 12:04 AM
Dedrater
Scooby Regular

So no decent downshifts for them owners then? What if you tried Heel and Toe mid apex, or just before?

Quick Reply: Toyota Throttle Fault?