Anyone work nights?

Search this Thread

Old 04 February 2010, 08:52 AM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Anyone work nights?

I am currently on a temp 5 week contract working days which is soon to come to an end, yet I have been offered a 4 days, 4 off 4 on nights shift. The money is good but I have never been the best of sleepers so I am wooried thid could turn me into the walking dead
Does anyone else manage split shifts okay?
Old 04 February 2010, 01:34 PM
Mouser
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I work 7 nights on 7 off. Been doing this for more years than I care to remember. Never had any problems sleeping when I come home early in the morning but on the last nightshift I get up after 5 hours sleep and make a point of not going to bed too early that night regardless of how tired I feel.
Old 04 February 2010, 01:42 PM
Simon C
Scooby Regular

I used to work 2 days, 2 nights then 4 off. Just went to bed about 3 am on change over day, never had an issue.

I'd say as long as you have a well soundproofed house and thick curtains you'd be fine.
Old 04 February 2010, 03:33 PM
Bonehead
Scooby Regular

I do 2x early, 2x lates, then 2x nights, then 4 off
I work 11pm til 7am on nights. I've only been on this pattern a month now so I'm still getting 100% used to it.
I get a couple of hours kip early evening when I'm on nights and a cup of coffee at the begining of my shift and this sees me through unitl morning.
When I get home I go straight to bed and get up around lunch time. As my first rest day is really a sleep day I just bimble around in the evening and get an early night to get my body clock back on track.
There's quite a good document on the internet written for NHS nurses about copeing with night shifts. Do a google search

Overall though you've got to find what works best for you
Old 04 February 2010, 03:39 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

I hated it, could not sleep during the day, after two weeks on nights i was dead on my feet and glad to be back on earlies.
Old 04 February 2010, 06:32 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I do 7 days, 7 off, 5 days, 9 off, 7 nights, 7 off (then back to days), by the 4th night you sleep like a log just dont drink when you go to bed or for about 4 hours before your shift finishes or you'll be up at 11am for a toilet break

Tony
Old 04 February 2010, 08:02 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

I do weekend 12.5hr nights from 6pm Friday through to 6.30am Monday. Some can adjust, some can't.
I have routines which work, such as getting up at 6am on Friday morning and doing the shopping, then calling to see my Dad. It usually sees me home at about 10.30am and into bed to sleep 'til mid afternoon making it easy to get through the first night. I also only sleep 4 hours or so on Monday morning, but boy am I ready for a good nights kip by Monday night.
These shifts suit me perfectly, as it has allowed me the spare time mid-week to train for and now work a second career. Prior to that I used to spend all my free time depleting my bank balance and the worlds oil reserves driving my Scoob all week.
Old 04 February 2010, 08:19 PM
Petem95
Scooby Regular

The firm I work for was expanding rapidly a couple of years back, so I worked nights for a few weeks to help out (4 on 4 off) and hated it! Found no matter how much sleep I'd had beforehand I felt dead towards the end of the shift (3-7am) - and this is working in a network ops centre - so basically sitting at a desk - not doing anything physical.

Completely knackered by the 4th night in the shift, and found it hard to get good quality sleep during the day.

Some people manage with it ok tho - give it a few weeks and see.
Old 04 February 2010, 08:40 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

I have been shift working for quite a few years now, it used to be a week of days (3x12 hour shifts) then a week of nights (again 3x12hour shifts). My new "flexi" role requires me to basically do whatever they need me to do, so I have no pattern whatsoever, which can be hard, two earlies, followed by 4 night shifts, rest of the day off when you get home from nights to start earlies the next morning.

It takes a while for anyone's body to get used to different shift patterns, especially if you have been doing a 9-5 job for years.

Negatives - It can have an impact on your social life if you let it, it can be depressing working in the dark all the time.

Positives - you tend to earn more on nights, the boss is usually well out of it. Oh and you get the whole bed to yourself
Old 04 February 2010, 09:07 PM
DARB
Scooby Regular

I work two weeks of nights 8pm-5am then two weeks of days 7am-4pm

done this for about 5 years now and my body clock is still fooked up

I usually have a beer or two before going to bed when on nights ( I've had some funny looks in summer cleaning the car at 6 in the morning with a bottle of Stella in my hand lol )

my job is very physical so have no problem sleeping in the daytime, heat in the summer is the worst thing but air con in the bedroom sorted this
Old 05 February 2010, 09:10 AM
rob 666
Scooby Regular

i have done nights for 18 months now sleep okay most of the time, but there is the odd occasion where a shot of night nurse is needed
Old 05 February 2010, 01:13 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

Five years ago I was on five nights a week, I couldn't sleep during the day.... ate my tea at six PM., then had a nap till 9 PM., drove to work, and repeat....

By Friday evening I was gone, away with the fairies, god only knows how I got to work and back !

Then on Saturday I'd sleep till 2PM., then get up and go shopping feeling great

Hated it !

dunx