Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Car insurance question

Search this Thread

Old 02 February 2010, 08:57 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Car insurance question

at the end of November I got my car hit by a careless driver. It was a genuine mistake by a dead on fella so meh! least i got a few Tesco car park dents sorted out for free!

BUT

I never told my insurance about the accident and let his company insurance sort everything out which was easy enough, so my question is do i need to tell my Insurance company and will i have to declare it when i renew? will it affect the cost of my insurance next year also?
Old 02 February 2010, 09:00 PM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You will need to declare it as it will be on a database somewhere. If you don't and then make a claim they'll try and not pay out because you failed to disclose. Depends upon upon how unethical the company is as to whether or not they load your premium. I'm sure Moley could provide you with a more qualified answer, but with most companies - give them and inch and they'll cut your ***** off
Old 02 February 2010, 09:04 PM
Moley
Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

You do need to let them know, but it'd be very harsh if they charged you any extra.

All claims are recorded on a database, so make sure you tell them
Old 02 February 2010, 09:05 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Should i ring them asap or just let them know when renewing?

apparently my insurance company are the biggest crooks going in Northern Ireland so no doubt i'll be shafted come renewal!
Old 03 February 2010, 11:02 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jamz3k
at the end of November I got my car hit by a careless driver. It was a genuine mistake by a dead on fella so meh! least i got a few Tesco car park dents sorted out for free!

BUT

I never told my insurance about the accident and let his company insurance sort everything out which was easy enough, so my question is do i need to tell my Insurance company and will i have to declare it when i renew? will it affect the cost of my insurance next year also?
I guessed right-you are Shaun the Sheep!

If it is a no fault claim as far as you are concerned your insurance should remain unaffected.

Les
Old 03 February 2010, 02:37 PM
Steve vRS
Scooby Regular

What about if you have had an "event" but no claim was made, the car was repaired and the insurance companies not involved?

I now notice that the questions are now phrased, "any incidents, regardless of claim, in the last 3 years?"

Basically, my co. car was nicked 2 years ago. The company policy is only to insure third party and take th hit on repairing the cars. So, the car was recovered, had some repairs done paid by my employer and no insurance companies involved. So, if I take out insurance, do I need to declare?

Steve
Old 03 February 2010, 07:26 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
I guessed right-you are Shaun the Sheep!

Les
What are you on about Leslie?
Old 03 February 2010, 07:43 PM
GC8WRX
Scooby Regular

Location: Wanting the English to come first in England for a change!

Is it true that any claim invoving you goes against you wether it was your fault or not?

I know people who have had non fault accidents but its been held against them come renewal time, how does that work, if and old biddy hits me, why should it affect my premium?
Old 03 February 2010, 07:47 PM
Steve vRS
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Moley_WRX
You do need to let them know, but it'd be very harsh if they charged you any extra.
Looks like some insurers aren't so generous.

Car Insurance Premiums Rocket After Crashes Whoever is at Fault

Steve

Last edited by Steve vRS; 03 February 2010 at 07:48 PM.
Old 03 February 2010, 07:53 PM
GC8WRX
Scooby Regular

Location: Wanting the English to come first in England for a change!

that takes the pi55, how can you be charged for a NON FAULT accident!

Ive always said insurance is a rip off!
Old 03 February 2010, 10:34 PM
Moley
Sponsor

Don't believe everything you read.

According to them all our premiums have gone up 20-25% this year, which again isn't true.
Old 03 February 2010, 11:08 PM
zip106
Scooby Regular

What about company cars insurance.
If my wife has a bump in her company car, what gets registered on the database?

The drivers name/address, the company name, or the car leasing company or a mixture of all 3?

I only ask because the wife bumped the back of a Punto in Oct. 2008 and only now is the other driver claiming for 'damage' of £800 for the car, whiplash, severe muscle damage to her arm and a few other things.
The wife's company's insurance co. are contesting it in court as tests on my wifes car show that there couldn't have been any such impact to cause the damage the third party is claiming.

Edit - forgot to say that the wife took pictures of the non-damaged cars straight away and the 'bump' was merely a nudge at a roundabout.

Wifes car has had measurements taken from inside the engine bay, around the bumper etc and from this the investigators can say what damage should,could occur. None, apparently, so they're fighting it in court

Anyway, when I renew my insurance with the wife as a named driver would I need to declare the above?

Sorry for the hijack!

Last edited by zip106; 03 February 2010 at 11:09 PM.
Old 03 February 2010, 11:08 PM
SunnySideUp
Scooby Regular

Every 'incident' should be declared and, like it or not, it affects the premium quoted - even if not your fault or even if no claim is made.

I went to court a few years ago to fight a claim against me by a pedestrian .... one of the questions to me, in court, by the Plaintif's Lawyer was, "Have you been involved in any accidents?" ..... wide open question, and I answered in the affirmative - but added that the incidents were 30+ years previously!

Point I am trying to make is that the Insurance Company can be alerted to previous 'incidents' through channels not thought of by you ... and can get you into hot water (as in the case above, you do not lie on oath in the witness stand!)

Last edited by SunnySideUp; 03 February 2010 at 11:10 PM.
Old 03 February 2010, 11:12 PM
Moley
Sponsor

All accidents are on a database, they WILL find out if they want to, so be honest about everything.
Old 03 February 2010, 11:15 PM
zip106
Scooby Regular

Pete, my wife would never dream of fibbing in court.
She openly admits she nudged the car in front, just not hard enough as to do all this damage to metal and body!

Actually, she can't wait to have her day in court and show up this other woman for the scheming, lying trollope she is.
Old 03 February 2010, 11:16 PM
zip106
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Moley_WRX
All accidents are on a database, they WILL find out if they want to, so be honest about everything.
Would it need to be declared even BEFORE a court case or before anyone's been found to be at fault?
Old 03 February 2010, 11:36 PM
scud8
Scooby Regular

I've had two non-fault accidents in the last 18 months - one where someone reversed out of a parking space into the side of my car as I was driving past, the second where someone ran into the back of me while I was stationary. The first one is completely settled, but my insurer still tried to increase my premium significantly at the next renewal - until I told them I had better quotes, at which point they came down considerably. The second accident happened a few weeks after this renewal, so it will be interesting to see what happens when the next renewal comes round.
Old 03 February 2010, 11:47 PM
SunnySideUp
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by zip106
Pete, my wife would never dream of fibbing in court.
She openly admits she nudged the car in front, just not hard enough as to do all this damage to metal and body!

Actually, she can't wait to have her day in court and show up this other woman for the scheming, lying trollope she is.
I didn't mean to suggest that she would - I was just passing on my experiences in court.

Oddly, my wife 'tapped' a Vectra up the rear ..... in fact the Vectra owner didn't know my wife had hit him at all - he thought he had stalled on the clutch!

Strange how, all of a sudden, over the following few weeks - he had the 'damage' costed at £££££££££££££££££££££'s!!!! AND he was complaining of neck pain!!!!

This thing goes on all the time, it seems everyone is looking for free money these days - and to hell with honesty and decency.

The main problem is that Insurance Companies have an amount (I think it's around £1,000) below which they will simply pay and not argue or investigate!!

Have a 'knock' once a week and you have £52,000 for a years 'work'!!
Old 04 February 2010, 10:19 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jamz3k
What are you on about Leslie?
Meh!

Have you never watched him?

Les
Old 04 February 2010, 10:45 AM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
Meh!

Have you never watched him?

Les
I haven't although i'm now tempted!
Old 04 February 2010, 04:49 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Id wait until renewal if possible: then make them aware after theyve quoted you (and maybe after youve haggled them down, as renewals take the ****). This way youll know if theyve loaded your policy.