Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Forced body x-ray scans at airports starting next week,

Search this Thread

Old 27 January 2010, 06:38 AM
scrappydoo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Forced body x-ray scans at airports starting next week,

Last edited by scrappydoo; 11 March 2012 at 12:48 AM.
Old 27 January 2010, 07:28 AM
Jamescsti
Scooby Regular

They are not forrced, if you don't want to be involved then don't travel by air, holiday in the uk or use a ferry, I hear france is nice!
If you use air travel through work then consider looking at a new job, simple

Ok maybe it will be an issue for people travelling through work who have major objections but personally I think anything which makes air travel safer is a good thing and i'm all for it.
Old 27 January 2010, 07:52 AM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Jamescsti
...but personally I think anything which makes air travel safer is a good thing and i'm all for it.
...except that they wouldn't have spotted the pant-bomber, nor the shoe-bomber, nor the Lockerbie bomber and would have to be installed at every single airport in the entire world first to cope with transit passengers and would cost billions to implement and will massively inconvenience passengers and could well put airlines (and airports) out of business and actually mean that the so-called "terrorists" have already won!

mb
Old 27 January 2010, 08:04 AM
cster
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The radiation dose from one of these scans is the equivalent of 1/1000 of one small xray taken at the dentist (if you go).
The machine does not xray through your body, it just scans the surface.
The additional radiation (due to altitude) to the human body from the flight you are about to take (after your scan) will be significantly greater than that you will receive from the scan.
Whether they stop bombers is another question altogether.
Old 27 January 2010, 08:04 AM
Jamescsti
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by boomer
...except that they wouldn't have spotted the pant-bomber, nor the shoe-bomber, nor the Lockerbie bomber and would have to be installed at every single airport in the entire world first to cope with transit passengers and would cost billions to implement and will massively inconvenience passengers and could well put airlines (and airports) out of business and actually mean that the so-called "terrorists" have already won!

mb
But the basic pat down they do at airports didn't detect those things either?
Surely the xray system is still better than the current system, no system is perfect currently, it's all about reducing risk, and realistically it won't put airlines out of business the vast majority will accept it and keep on travelling, people will not give up their holidays or travelling on business for the sake of losing 5 minutes at an airport.
It was cause far less damage to airlines than 9/11 did
Old 27 January 2010, 08:54 AM
LG John
Scooby Regular

As soon as I heard on the news about the incident on the Holland-to-America flight on xmas day I turned to my family and said, "That has been set up to ensure that the new body scanners they are installing are mandatory"

I hate being right
Old 27 January 2010, 09:19 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by boomer

mb
yup, sadly spot on!
Old 27 January 2010, 10:16 AM
RA Dunk
Scooby Regular

If getting xrayed by one of these machines means the difference between sitting on a plane with a Islamic nutter or not sitting on a plane with an Islamic nutter I'll happily take my chance with the scan
Old 27 January 2010, 10:56 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

They will have them on the street corners one day!

Les
Old 27 January 2010, 11:03 AM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
They will have them on the street corners one day!

Les
In Israel (well, TelAviv anyway) they have metal detectors and armed security guards on the entrance to shopping malls so not too far away ...

Steve
Old 27 January 2010, 11:24 AM
IWatkins
Scooby Regular

From what I remember, these are not X-rays anyway, it's millimetre wave.

So no more damaging than say taking a mobile phone call. Anyway, you'll get a lot more radiation on the flight than being put through the scanner.
Old 27 January 2010, 11:59 AM
FlightMan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scrappydoo
Dont say i didnt warn you people. Our government is now forcing us through these machines at airports resulting in a radiation penalty everytime we travel in and out of the country. Cancer anyone! Looks like i wont be travelling ever again. These things havent even been tested properly and i read reserch not long ago by an independant scientist stating its only time before they make people seriously ill as they emit nasty radiation which isnt being looked at. This controlling government is certainly picking up pace wouldnt you say?

Wasnt it only last month they said we would have the option of a pat down if we didnt want to go through the scanners? You see how they get their foot in. Inch by inch all under a bogus claim. With everything that is going on im really starting to get down over all this restriction being imposed on us.

Airline passengers have 'no right' to refuse naked body scanners | UK news | guardian.co.uk

Get your facts right FFS, they don't use X-rays!!!
Old 27 January 2010, 12:02 PM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton

Originally Posted by boxst
In Israel (well, TelAviv anyway) they have metal detectors and armed security guards on the entrance to shopping malls so not too far away ...

Steve
Pfft in Streatham Hill in the late 80's there was a full walk through metal detector on the entrace to Ladbrokes I was a cashier at
Old 27 January 2010, 12:09 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

id be more worried bout getting cancer off me halogen heater
Old 27 January 2010, 12:13 PM
FlightMan
Scooby Regular

Whoops!
Old 27 January 2010, 12:22 PM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by boxst

Steve
been there done that. implemented in belfast in the 70s ffs. handbags searched and metal detector wand waved about your body or a pat down search.
Old 27 January 2010, 12:42 PM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

I've actually taken a conscious decision to no longer bother holidaying abroad.

Not because of the scanners, but because I'd rather spend my own time making my leisurely way to somewhere, than waste it waiting in a queues
Old 27 January 2010, 12:44 PM
my06 ppp silver
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by IWatkins
From what I remember, these are not X-rays anyway, it's millimetre wave.

So no more damaging than say taking a mobile phone call. Anyway, you'll get a lot more radiation on the flight than being put through the scanner.
what i was going to say, i bet he has one of those and does not worry. at the end of the day if it is going to deter any terrorist spoiling my hols then i can live with that. on second thoughts maybe it is best if i dont go on my hols, i might get sunburnt and die a nasty cancerous ridden death oh nooooooooooo....
Old 27 January 2010, 12:51 PM
Pete.
Scooby Regular

theres just something very wrong with this whole thing IMO. I wouldnt put my kids through one of these machines no matter whos sitting looking at the pictures. i just wouldnt!

im all for safer air travel but i think theres a point at which the line is crossed and ethically i think these scanners raise too many questions. certainly for me anyway.

I also dont like the idea of me or the wife being scanned by them.

im totally against them and there will be other ways of reducing risk without such personal intrusion. i dont know what they are but they need to be found instead of this bull****.

i also think its ridiculous to try and justify them with "im for anything that makes travel safer"

next thing theyll be shoving the explosives up their **** and then what are we do move to? full cavity searches??? when do you draw a line!?

also, do we just keep accepting everything the government throws at us that we have to do?? more and more restrictions and rules and all at a greater cost. whos going to pay for these new scanners and their huge training and implimentation cost??
thats right, us.

by bringing something like this into mainstream it will have incredibly wide reaching reprucissions well beyond the " it makes air travel safer" crap.

well thats my view on the whole thing and im sticking to it.

Last edited by Pete.; 27 January 2010 at 12:57 PM.
Old 27 January 2010, 12:54 PM
RA Dunk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Pete.

next thing theyll be shoving the explosives up their ****
Havent they already tried this one, I seem to remember so anyway
Old 27 January 2010, 12:58 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

I can see how it's a good idea. I'd rather be sat on a plane knowing the half dozen muslims seated near me had been through this scanner, rather than sat looking at them to see if they start fiddling inside their undercrackers, or trying to set the touchpaper on their shoes.

However, I do think it should just be Muslims that have to go through these things. Normal White English families going on Holiday are unlikely to be out to blow the plane up.
I guess doing this would mean discrimination, and that would leave the door open for every Muslim scum to sue the Government.
Old 27 January 2010, 12:59 PM
Pete.
Scooby Regular

well an xray/wave etc etc machine that shows a naked body isnt going to show up internal explosives, so then what, you have to have two scans and a full cavity search plus a compulsory vomitting to make sure you havent swallowed some explosive device??

open the flood gates for intrusive controls is all im saying.

steady on with the comments too gents, theres a lot of blatant racism in some of them coming through, maybe without intent but its still there.

Last edited by Pete.; 27 January 2010 at 01:00 PM.
Old 27 January 2010, 01:07 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

steady on with the comments too gents, theres a lot of blatant racism in some of them coming through, maybe without intent but its still there.
Yes Dad.
Old 27 January 2010, 01:08 PM
RA Dunk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RA Dunk
Havent they already tried this one, I seem to remember so anyway
here we go

Al Qaeda Bombers Learn from Drug Smugglers - CBS Evening News - CBS News

Asieri had a pound of high explosives, plus a detonator inserted in his rectum.
To get a pound of explosives and a detanator up there must have taken quite a bit of doing unless he had a bottomless pit for a hoop, I'm surprised he managed to get so much into his bumholio TBH, would have been funny watching him trying to squeeze out a fart though
Old 27 January 2010, 01:23 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Oh FFS who gives a flying, just walk through it, get on the plane and enjoy your holiday, it wont kill you, nobody is going to look at the pictures to get their jollies and it may help, if the goverments werent invading other countries full of grumpy religous nutters and bombing them they might not be so fixated on blowing up airliners to make a point.

Our governments are lurking in these countries prentending they give one about the population and regime, they are there for the oil and the rights to mine it so we can keep our oil based ecomonies going, the Yanks are nothing without oil being traded in dollars and that is dying and we are nothing without the yanks nowadays.

We are stuck with it now, live with it or stay home
Old 27 January 2010, 01:23 PM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Question

by bringing something like this into mainstream it will have incredibly wide reaching reprucissions well beyond the " it makes air travel safer" crap.

What reprucissions would those be then?
Old 27 January 2010, 01:31 PM
my06 ppp silver
Scooby Regular

whats the problem exactly? is it because it is just going to happen without a democratic vote or the fact that people think that someone is going to be behind a screen choking their chicken whilst you and your family walk through! come on , get real.
Old 27 January 2010, 01:32 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

Hold on a minute! How many flights are there around the world per day, week or year? I'm guessing hundreds of millions. We catch one guy with an explosive tied to his leg & that's grounds to inconvinience every person travelling by air for the rest of time! FFS when will we put things in perspective Massive waste of time & money IMHO.

TX.

Originally Posted by Jamescsti
Ok maybe it will be an issue for people travelling through work who have major objections but personally I think anything which makes air travel safer is a good thing and i'm all for it.
Old 27 January 2010, 01:37 PM
urban
Scooby Regular

OK - heres another one putting the cat amoungst the pidgeons.

What happens if a person with a turban "beeps" going through an existing scanner?

Do they make him take it off?

Same goes with say a muslim women who is completely covered up?

If I'm wearing a coat I'm make to take it off.
If I'm wearing timberland boots then I'm made to remove them

So - shouldn't the boys with the turban and the covered up woman be made to put some stuff through the scanner?

Quick Reply: Forced body x-ray scans at airports starting next week,