Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

English Defence League-thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 25 January 2010, 09:36 PM
billyray911
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default English Defence League-thoughts?

Following the demos and aftermath in Stoke,it initially appears that the EDL have shown their true colours as a group of thugs.
Have looked on their website and it seems that they were conceived as either a thinly veiled attempt at marginalising another extreme right wing group or,as they are trying to promote,a group solely as a protest against the rise in extreme islamists.
Either way,they are gathering momentum,with further demos-(one in Dudley planned in April) but seem to be fragmented by various factions as happens with most fringe organisations.
Dont want this to turn into an anti muslim/anti Police blah blah thread but curious as to what your thoughts of the EDL are?
Anyone here a member and if you were in Stoke,who was to blame for what happened...
Old 25 January 2010, 10:00 PM
FlightMan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll just grab some popcorn.

Old 26 January 2010, 07:33 AM
The Dogs B******s
Scooby Regular

The people that started the trouble were not EDL members just hooligans that joined onto the demo as we as a group do not promote or agree with violence or racism.
Old 26 January 2010, 07:49 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by The Dogs B******s
The people that started the trouble were not EDL members just hooligans that joined onto the demo as we as a group do not promote or agree with violence or racism.
Morning!

So are the EDL a political party? up until a couple of months ago i had never heard of them.
Is there a manifesto or anything???

I found this: EDL & UAF Demo & Counter Demo In Stoke-on-Trent Part 2: During | Pits n Pots
most other info on the stoke riot by the likes of the morning (red) star so hardly balanced or opbjective - this seems to be a local effort. The top youtube clip is a guy who represents the EDL - not the sharpest tool or a great speaker either not sure of he is nervous or just thick but IMHO not a great person to front your organisation for an interview.

Last edited by The Zohan; 26 January 2010 at 08:15 AM.
Old 26 January 2010, 08:47 AM
Jamescsti
Scooby Regular

I was in Leeds when they had their protest there, the issue is that EDL turn up to have theire march/protest and sure as anything United gainst Facism (UAF) also turn up and set up a counter march/protest, personally I think both groups just set it up to have a fight with each other.
I don't particuarly like either group, to me it's just an evolution of the football violence of the 80's covered up with a claim of having a lawful demonstration
Old 26 January 2010, 09:11 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

That's what I love about these sort of organisations. They never cause any trouble and aren't remotely racist yet racism and violence seems to follow them around. Funny that
Old 26 January 2010, 09:26 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by f1_fan
That's what I love about these sort of organisations. They never cause any trouble and aren't remotely racist yet racism and violence seems to follow them around. Funny that
In fairness - if you are far left or right of centre then there will be an opposing party or group EDL/UAF are a prime examples. This in mind; there will always be those who join parties to cause trouble, i am sure that the UAF has more and a few anarchists and the EDL, a smattering of football thugs or ex-NF who will happliy do battle with each other.

You cannot tar them all with the same brush surely?
Old 26 January 2010, 09:35 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Paul Habgood
In fairness - if you are far left or right of centre then there will be an opposing party or group EDL/UAF are a prime examples. This in mind; there will always be those who join parties to cause trouble, i am sure that the UAF has more and a few anarchists and the EDL, a smattering of football thugs or ex-NF who will happliy do battle with each other.

You cannot tar them all with the same brush surely?
As someone who grew up in an area where the NF were very active in the late 70s/early 80s I have seen at first hand how these outfits operate.

Far right or left they prey on the weak minded, fill their heads full of ill informed drivel and then have them do their dirty work for them all the while claiming they are above all that and whiter than white (pun intended in this case).

Sorry, but I have no time for extremist political groups no matter which side of the fence they sit as they always have a hidden agenda that is far more extreme than they will admit to in public just like the BNP for instance.
Old 26 January 2010, 11:55 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I don't agree with extremism either, but if a group has the admitted attitude of destroying your country as you know it, using any form of violence towards that end, and replacing your government, traditions, ideals, beliefs, culture etc. with a completely different form of law and establishing totalitarian government with a police state, what should you propose should be done? Should it just be allowed to happen?

Les
Old 26 January 2010, 12:39 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Errrrrrrrr, would you level the same criticism at peaceful Muslims?
Old 26 January 2010, 01:02 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
I don't agree with extremism either, but if a group has the admitted attitude of destroying your country as you know it, using any form of violence towards that end, and replacing your government, traditions, ideals, beliefs, culture etc. with a completely different form of law and establishing totalitarian government with a police state, what should you propose should be done? Should it just be allowed to happen?

Les
Which group are planning this LEs....and how are they going to achieve it?
Old 26 January 2010, 01:23 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
If you are referring to Choudray's mob yes absolutely!!
Old 26 January 2010, 01:37 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Les
Of course not Les, but you are an intelligent chap and I am sure you don't think allowing far right (or left) groups to seize any sort of initiative is a good idea as we all know what happened the last time this sort of thing went unchecked in a country not a million miles away from the UK
Old 26 January 2010, 01:47 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Of course not Les, but you are an intelligent chap and I am sure you don't think allowing far right (or left) groups to seize any sort of initiative is a good idea as we all know what happened the last time this sort of thing went unchecked in a country not a million miles away from the UK
Yes I agree with you completely. My question is, how do we deal with it, as your example showed, it can be very difficult to hold back the tide after it turns!

Les
Old 26 January 2010, 02:07 PM
rifleman
Scooby Regular

just get them to meet in the middle of salisbury plain and my squadron can have a range day and blow them up 0.50 cal style.ha ha
Old 26 January 2010, 02:10 PM
RA Dunk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rifleman
just get them to meet in the middle of salisbury plain and my squadron can have a range day and blow them up 0.50 cal style.ha ha
Maybe make it an Army open day where the public could come in and pay for a few shots as well to raise money for some kind of charity?
Old 26 January 2010, 02:13 PM
[-(o)-]
Scooby Regular

Les
Brown et al?
Old 26 January 2010, 05:46 PM
Steve Whitehorn
Scooby Regular

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by rifleman
Barrett - very unsporting of you
Old 26 January 2010, 05:51 PM
Will
BANNED

Originally Posted by alcazar
There's no such thing

All Muslims are evil
Old 26 January 2010, 06:52 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by mr_impreza
There's no such thing

All Muslims are evil
Ok then, what does Mr Impreza's mum say after having sex - "Do you all prey at the same Mosque?"

In fairness the same can be said of most places of worship and his mum, not just mosques!

Last edited by The Zohan; 26 January 2010 at 06:53 PM.
Old 26 January 2010, 07:30 PM
The Dogs B******s
Scooby Regular

A bit of info
English Defence League | EDL | Who are the English Defence League EDL?
Old 26 January 2010, 08:08 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Interesting

Are the English Defence League Racist?

Some organisations and media reports have branded the EDL as ‘racist,’ ‘fascist,’ ‘far-right,’ or even ‘Zionist.’ All of these accusations are flat out untrue. We take an actively anti-racist and anti-fascist stance. In addition, the EDL is non-political, taking no position on right-wing vs left-wing. We welcome members from all over the political spectrum, and with varying views on foreign policy, united against Islamic extremism and its influence on British life. Everyone from those whose ancestral roots are in pre-Roman Britain to immigrants just arrived yesterday will be welcomed into the EDL with open arms as long as they are willing to stand up with us for English values and against Islamist hate. Too many English are afraid to stand up and say "Enough!" because of the fear of being branded "racist.” We hope to change this.

So in short, we invite people of all races and faiths to join us in this campaign to awaken our sleeping Government to face up to and deal with the Jihad in our country, which threatens the very foundations of the freedoms won so dearly for us by past generations.

I agree with an awful lot of that - if it is true
Old 26 January 2010, 08:12 PM
The Dogs B******s
Scooby Regular

Interesting

Are the English Defence League Racist?

Some organisations and media reports have branded the EDL as ‘racist,’ ‘fascist,’ ‘far-right,’ or even ‘Zionist.’ All of these accusations are flat out untrue. We take an actively anti-racist and anti-fascist stance. In addition, the EDL is non-political, taking no position on right-wing vs left-wing. We welcome members from all over the political spectrum, and with varying views on foreign policy, united against Islamic extremism and its influence on British life. Everyone from those whose ancestral roots are in pre-Roman Britain to immigrants just arrived yesterday will be welcomed into the EDL with open arms as long as they are willing to stand up with us for English values and against Islamist hate. Too many English are afraid to stand up and say "Enough!" because of the fear of being branded "racist.” We hope to change this.

So in short, we invite people of all races and faiths to join us in this campaign to awaken our sleeping Government to face up to and deal with the Jihad in our country, which threatens the very foundations of the freedoms won so dearly for us by past generations.

With Black,White,Muslim and Sikh members and probably more,surely they cant be to racist.
Old 26 January 2010, 08:18 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

[/QUOTE]

Really?????

It reads like a desparate attempt at claiming some sort of respectability to me. How can anyone actually believe we are about to be subjected to wholesale sharia law???

I don't want it
You don't want it
The vast majority of Muslims don't want it
And all non muslim dont want

So given this how is this objective ever going to be achieved????

This EDL is just a BS movement full of racists, they are as extreme as the people they supposedly oppose, in fact they a 2 sides of a particularly nasty coin.
Old 26 January 2010, 08:23 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Question

This EDL is just a BS movement full of racists, they are as extreme as the people they supposedly oppose, in fact they a 2 sides of a particularly nasty coin.

You often state stuff as if it is fact, is your statement "full of racists" a fact, a guess, educated or not?

If it is IYHO then please say so rather than stating stuff all the time as if it is a cast iron fact, this seems to go on a lot these but her days, i heard someone picked up on the radio the other day for it, she had no response other than being quite sheepish until she regained her composure, her credibility was shot from that point on mind.

Last edited by The Zohan; 26 January 2010 at 08:31 PM.
Old 26 January 2010, 08:24 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Martin2005 are you racist? you seem to have a problem with the British everytime a thread like this is started!
Old 26 January 2010, 08:25 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Really?????

It reads like a desparate attempt at claiming some sort of respectability to me. How can anyone actually believe we are about to be subjected to wholesale sharia law???

I don't want it
You don't want it
The vast majority of Muslims don't want it
And all non muslim dont want

So given this how is this objective ever going to be achieved????

Will you sort it out with the quotes Martin!

You often state stuff as if it is fact, is your statemesnt fact "full of racists" is this a fact, a guess, educated or not?[/quote]

Apply a common sense filter then, and see what comes back
Old 26 January 2010, 08:26 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jamz3k
Martin2005 are you racist? you seem to have a problem with the British everytime a thread like this is started!
Standing up against racism is a very British trait, so on that score I'm a proud Brit
Old 26 January 2010, 08:27 PM
The Dogs B******s
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jamz3k
He's the most racist on here,,,,,,,,,,,,,FACT
Old 26 January 2010, 08:34 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by The Dogs B******s
He's the most racist on here,,,,,,,,,,,,,FACT
This is another one of your 'facts' is it, OK let's see if you can back this claim up without getting yourself banned

Let's us explore the thoughts of an EDL member, you in fact claimed that 'ALL' immigrants were 'spongers', what should we make of that?

Quick Reply: English Defence League-thoughts?