Why am I NOT losing weight?

Search this Thread

Old 22 January 2010, 07:34 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Question Why am I NOT losing weight?

Been dieting for 10 days.

I eat three meals a day, grapefruit and a slice of brown bread for breakfast, fruit and brown bread for dinner, meat/fish and salad with brown bread for tea.
I have cut my "lots" of drinks per night to one small one. I have also cut my coffe with merals to one brown sugar cube.

I am hungry all the time, I drink loads of water, yet my weight sticks at 12st 8.6lb, and has been there for four days.

What am I doing wrong?
Old 22 January 2010, 07:38 PM
banny sti
Scooby Senior

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

How much did you lose in the first 6 days? More than likely that was water weight anything you lose from here will be actual body-weight, do you do any exercise to complement your diet?

Also bread equals carbs and if you are not using them you will start putting weight back on, I would remove bread from your last meal.

Banny

Last edited by banny sti; 22 January 2010 at 07:41 PM.
Old 22 January 2010, 07:40 PM
salsa-king
Scooby Senior

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

you need to do some excersise too.

Cut down on the bread as well.
Old 22 January 2010, 07:43 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

OK, I'll try that, the bread was supposed to be to add fibre.
Old 22 January 2010, 07:49 PM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by alcazar
OK, I'll try that, the bread was supposed to be to add fibre.
Try a weetabix with milk and some raisins sprinkled on them for breakfast, that'll add fibre but use skimmed or semi-skimmed milk. Need to burn the calories too. If you don't exercise already try something light, brisk walk for 30 minutes a day will help, it'll speed you metabolism up and help you body process the foods and breakdown the fats quicker. Cycling or running will really help. I never lost much weight when I started running, but after a year she 3-4 inches from around my waist. Started at 37-38" and I now float around the 33-34" and feel a lot better for it
Old 22 January 2010, 07:52 PM
my06 ppp silver
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

whats your height and general body shape? if you are reasonably well defined then you wont have much excess to lose and would lose muscle mass eventually which is counter-productive. try googling the cabbage soup diet, it works but be warned the results are easily reversed if you let your guard down. best exercise imo is jogging, every day for between 40 mins to an hour. try to cut out bread and potatoes all together and always eat chicken (skin removed) or fish. i lost a lot of weight 3 years ago but over the last 6 months due to injury and lack of dedication i have put 60% of it back on. gutted. but i know it is achievable, the hardest part , for me , is it being sustainable. also you will plateau from time to time you just need to increase your exercise intensity, remembering that what you do this week you will not see the real benefit until a week later, providing you dont binge through the weekend after a tough week. good luck, i will be on the same mission myself. ....... but i am a LOT heavier, 16.5 st...... was 13, 10 lbs a year ago!!
Old 22 January 2010, 08:01 PM
Mifo
Scooby Regular

you've only been doing it for 10 days , give it time.
Over the last 6 months Ive lost about a stone . Not done alot of exercise really just cut down on crisps , mcdonalds and chocolate and eat fruit for a snack instead of junk.

I also try to avoid any microwave meals as these are mainly full of fat and other rubbish.
Old 22 January 2010, 08:04 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just stop boozing and eating crap, walk the dog, cycle to work and it drops off, I have to work really hard to stay a couple of stone overweight
Old 22 January 2010, 08:07 PM
my06 ppp silver
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by J4CKO
I just stop boozing and eating crap, walk the dog, cycle to work and it drops off, I have to work really hard to stay a couple of stone overweight
lucky bas***d
Old 22 January 2010, 08:24 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

Contrary to what most people believe, it will take time to lose weight ie months. Most people gain weight slowly ie over years then expect to lose it overnight

Stick at it & exercise more

TX.
Old 22 January 2010, 08:30 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

12st doesnt Sound overweight at all

are you knee high to a kipper

Cut out the bread btw- dreadful stuff , just take the seeds
Old 22 January 2010, 08:33 PM
+Doc+
Scooby Senior

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

The first bit of weight loss is just water anyway, stick with it, get plenty of exercise (walking is great) and don't forget everything in moderation.
Old 22 January 2010, 08:39 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

12 st 8, Jesus, unless you are an Ooompa Loompa, dont worry about it !
Old 22 January 2010, 08:45 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

He is only 5ft 2 though
Seriously though, weigh yourself on day one then do it 28 days later, as said, cut down on the bread, its a killer go more wholesome with pasta instead, bin the naff sauces, increase your exercise to maybe 30-60 mins walking (brisk) to start with per day, have a large breakfast, reasonable size lunch and small dinner (or tea as we northerners call it )
As the old saying goes, eat like a king at breakfast, a prince at lunch and a pauper at dinner.

Tony
Old 22 January 2010, 08:47 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

Jeff isn't the tallest person I know....

B u t, cycling is a good move, IMHO.

dunx
Old 22 January 2010, 08:49 PM
Stealth
Scooby Regular

How tall are you and what sort of build are you ?

When you loose weight you get down to apoint where the body is "happy" and then the real work starts, you will loose the initial weight amazingly quickly.

I was 16.8 stone and got down to 13.5 - 14 stone in three weeks (stupid diet and TONS of exercise) and haven't gained it back since sticking to a proper balanced diet and do 1hr - 1.5 hr of exercise a night

If you are really worried about fibre in your diet and still want to cut te carbs etc got to Tesco pharm and ask for normacol or I believe they do some fould tasting fibre gel in "orange" ish flavour!

Do some sensible exercise, and eat well, you are not supposed to starve yourself or deny yourself too much as it will just make it harder and you will revert back or become disheartened and give up.

Last edited by Stealth; 22 January 2010 at 08:50 PM.
Old 22 January 2010, 08:55 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Get one of these, mine has just arrived and its great.

Old 22 January 2010, 10:04 PM
jods
Scooby Senior

Thumbs up

Hi Alkazar,

Asked my wife to mail me the diet she / we have been following recently.

Breakfast
cereal plus berries or seeds
Or Scrambled/poached/boiled egg and 1 slice wholemeal toast
Or bagel with smoked salmon and cream cheese
Mid morning
1 small pot Yoghurt
Or boiled egg
Or egg cup of nuts
Or small souffle pot of seeds, e.g. pumpkin or sesame or mixed seeds
Or 2 ryvita and small matchbox sized piece of cheese
Or piece of fruit
Lunch
1 fist sized portion of carbs, e.g. potato or pasta or rice. (If possible use sweet potato rather than normal, brown rather than white rice or wholemeal rather than standard pasta) And 1 palm size portion of protein, e.g. meat or fish And As much veg or salad as you like
Mid afternoon
Same options as mid morning but don't pick the same thing!
Dinner
Same as lunch.

Combined with 1 hour of Tennis on Tuesday night (fairly intensive) and regular dog walking (at least 2 x 5 mile walks a week) The weight is reducing. We have noticed it does seem to plateau for a while whilst your metabolism / body catches up. I'm now 12 Stone 10 Lbs (6ft) - The medical "advice" is that I need to lose another 6lbs or so to be firmly in the green zone but I think thats bollocks. Muscle weighs 3 times the same mass of fat. By current "Rules" Mike Tyson at the height of his prowess would be considered morbidly obese using BMI - and that's clearly rubbish!!

If you feel healthy and can move around without sweating like a Jew having to buy a round of beers - You're good in my book!
Old 22 January 2010, 10:04 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Yeah, I'm pretty compact 5'8" just, but the weight I'm carrying is all around my gut, and I was starting to suffer from baaaaaaaaad heartburn/acid reflux, so wanted to cut it down a bit.

Not had any heartburn since I started dieting, but I put that down to very little alcohol
Old 22 January 2010, 10:11 PM
thesyn
Scooby Regular

Dieting alone you have no chance.
If you have an enjoyment of food and social life you must learn to love and embrace exercise.
In my case cardio twice a week then high intensity weights once or twice weekly, I think nothing of what I eat and my weight is pretty constant.
Be very careful of body building diet/regimes, I read a link off here in which a contributor stated that over his christmas lay off he had gained 1st 8lb FFS . This implies to me that he is walking a tightrope and his body is in a state of constant near starvation ready to grab onto and store any unused carbs as body fat.
The body does appear to adjust to what nutrient is available over time so unless you have an iron will do not go down this path.
Old 22 January 2010, 10:23 PM
salsa-king
Scooby Senior

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by J4CKO
Get one of these, mine has just arrived and its great.

eeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrr, did it not come with pedals? you won't be using it much then lol

back to the POST:
don't Over do the milk quantity either!!
Old 23 January 2010, 11:55 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
Been dieting for 10 days.

I eat three meals a day, grapefruit and a slice of brown bread for breakfast, fruit and brown bread for dinner, meat/fish and salad with brown bread for tea.
I have cut my "lots" of drinks per night to one small one. I have also cut my coffe with merals to one brown sugar cube.

I am hungry all the time, I drink loads of water, yet my weight sticks at 12st 8.6lb, and has been there for four days.

What am I doing wrong?
Its just the same here too Alcazar.

When you find the answer please let me know!

Les
Old 23 January 2010, 12:05 PM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

Eat smaller meals, more frequent, to keep your metabolism working. Cut out the bread. The biggest factor in your regime is exercise. It's missing It's hard to lose any weight if you're drinking alcohol.

I only lost 0.1kgs in the first week and worked out 6 times at the gym and also played squash. Ate healthy for the week, no alcohol and upped water consumption from 0 litres to 2+ litres. Looking forward to the weigh-in next week as i can see the difference.

Doesn't happen overnight i'm afraid.
Old 23 January 2010, 01:13 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

I thought my alcohol consumption would have a positive effect: it's down from 4-6 LARGE Pernod and lemonades, plus wine, per night, to one small brandy.

Going to try exercising, but have to be careful after my fun and games with my spine last year
Old 23 January 2010, 01:14 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Thanks for that jods, copied it for use, it makes a change to mine.
Old 23 January 2010, 01:33 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

im actually wondering if its possible to loose weight round the middle after a certain age ( mid life) - its just uncontrolable spread is it not

Last edited by dpb; 23 January 2010 at 01:49 PM.
Old 23 January 2010, 01:35 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

I hope not: most blokes put weight on there due to it being visceral fat, (around the organs) rather than subcutaneous, (under the skin) like women's is.

I think it's due to a sedentary lifestyle, and bad diet.
Old 23 January 2010, 01:45 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Yes Visceral fat is what people call stocky, i.e. he is stocky, not fat, no its generally just fat inside forcing a bigger body, its all in there but seems had as it forces the muscle out and stretches the skin, I tend to get flab round my middle but dont seem to be afflicted with the massive hard round abdonemen some blokes have.

So, I have womans fat

It is always possible to get rid of it, physically, you starve someone they ALL go skinny, then die, what is difficult in our culture is avoiding large ammounts of high calorie food, booze, business lunches, hotel food, social occasions, takeaways and generally doing well and then saying **** it, time for a kebab when we have had a bad day. By nature we are lazy, greedy creatures, or most of us are, I am !
Old 23 January 2010, 05:38 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

To sum it up,

Porridge !

That's my secret of eternal decrepitude...

dunx

P.S. Jeff, I may be round on the first on Feb. will check you are free later !
Old 23 January 2010, 06:18 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

When I went from 20 1/2st down to 15st in 6 months I did no exercise and ate a full English most mornings, and ate no pasta, rice, or low fat food whatsoever. Have you ever seen a fat lion ? And how many hours a day do they sleep ? Cut out carbs, almost completely and it falls off.

Brekkie : Full English, omelette, scrambled egg etc; NO CEREALS, MILK, etc

Lunch : Rotisserie chicken, fish (fish shop), leaf salad with oily fish

Dinner : Curries made with any meat, tomato or cream sauces with mushrooms, peppers, onion, celery etc NO ROOT VEG; any meat cut (steak, pork chop etc); fish; all served with non-root veg (cauli, broc, asparagus, sprouts etc (I had carrot too which is wrong, but it still worked for me). ALL FRESH MEAT AND VEG !

Decaf tea/coffee with no sugar (avoid aspartame based sweeteners).

Avoid anything with nitrates as preservatives (carcinogen).

Avoid packaged/processed foods packed out with cornflower, starch, and other carb to get the weight up cheaply.

As I say, it worked for me shedding 5 1/2st in 6 months, and maintaining it for 2-3 years. I've succumbed to the temptation of carb over the last couple of years and put 2st back on, but am going to apply the techniques again shortly to get in shape for summer.

Quick Reply: Why am I NOT losing weight?