Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

United Ireland?

Search this Thread

Old 11 January 2010, 07:47 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default United Ireland?

watchin the news here, I was wondering do Republicans still actually want a United Ireland or realise what a United Ireland would mean for them?

They've been very quiet throughout the recession since the Republic Of Ireland is realitively on its knees financially, maybe they've realised how comfy the British gravy train really is?

Last edited by Jamz3k; 11 January 2010 at 08:48 PM.
Old 11 January 2010, 08:44 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Like the paramilitaries on both sides, they are run by hoodlums on the make who preach god knows what and use fear and hatred to get others to do their will and use those that are stupid enough to "believe" to do their dirty work. It's all about power and money at the end of the day.

And I don't call the attempted murder of a PSNI officer "quiet" by the way
Old 11 January 2010, 08:49 PM
scubbay
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Puff The Magic Wagon!
Like the paramilitaries on both sides, they are run by hoodlums on the make who preach god knows what and use fear and hatred to get others to do their will and use those that are stupid enough to "believe" to do their dirty work. It's all about power and money at the end of the day.

And I don't call the attempted murder of a PSNI officer "quiet" by the way

Immaculate.
Old 11 January 2010, 08:50 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

I'm referring to the Political parties rather than the hoods on the street PTMW.
Old 11 January 2010, 08:55 PM
scubbay
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jamz3k
I'm referring to the Political parties rather than the hoods on the street PTMW.
Hardly quiet with the Robinson shenanagins
Old 11 January 2010, 09:09 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

last time i checked he was in the DUP, probably the last parties ever to want a United Ireland. I think the likes of Sinn Fein will find it hard trying to paint a picture of a United Ireland being in any way a good idea.

NI is a bit of a random one, we're politically split in 2, 1 side wanting to stay part of Great Britain and other wanting to be united with the rest of Ireland but really neither side want us. We're like a ginger kid who's parents have split up and neither of them really care much for it.
Old 11 January 2010, 09:49 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Jamz3k
last time i checked he was in the DUP, probably the last parties ever to want a United Ireland.

Remember that chap called Ian Paisley? How I so laughed when he came out with (and do the accent here) "Ulster says NO!" statement - he conveniently forgot that there are 9 counties in Ulster and that 3 of them were in the republic!!

If ULSTER had voted then Paisley would have looked a bit silly LOL
Old 11 January 2010, 10:41 PM
tarmac terror
Scooby Regular

James - there is much going on quietly in the shadows led by Mr Adams in an attempt to rally support and prepare the way. These are taking place everywhere other than in NI itself. There have been events throughout the year in New York, San Francisco, the Republic of Ireland, and in Westminster. It has just not been widely reported or publicised in the mainstream press.

It would seem to be an effort to widen support for a united Ireland, whereby the only group saying no, will be a small minority of unionists / loyalists from NI.

SF conference on this very subject on 20th February at TUC Congress House in London.

You are spending too much time on The Alfaboys - alfaboys.net - you wont find much by way of intellectual political debate over there!!!
Old 11 January 2010, 10:54 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

TT - Although you are pretty much right in saying that only the Unionists/Loyalists would vote against an united ireland, I really can't see a reason why anyone would vote for it either. We'd be entering into a country which is finanically screwed and has no real way out supporting an extra 6 counties.

I genuinely would move to Scotland if I thought Northern Ireland would be integrated into the Republic due to the amount of public services such as the NHS which i'd lose out on.
Old 11 January 2010, 11:06 PM
zip106
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Puff The Magic Wagon!
run by hoodlums on the make who preach god knows what and use fear and hatred to get others to do their will and use those that are stupid enough to "believe" to do their dirty work. It's all about power and money at the end of the day.
I'm afraid I don't know enough about NI/RoI to comment, but the above statement could have been made about our wonderful leaders in London....
Old 11 January 2010, 11:33 PM
douglasb
Scooby Regular

It's a few years ago now, but when I asked a Dublin colleague about the general view of a united Ireland he said "Ah sure, it's in every Irishman's heart to want a united Ireland - but when you Brits are paying the unemployment benefit for the people in the North maybe we don't want it quite yet."
Old 12 January 2010, 09:13 AM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Years ago the Protestant population far out numbered the Catholics. This is slowly changing. The Catholics don't believe in contraception or abortion (allegedly) and are cranking out sprogs faster than a puppy farm. Have a look at the figures for females from the South travelling to the UK for abortions.

Perhaps in a few years the vote to split may go the wrong way for HMG.

The system in NI is still very much being driven by the religious issue, it's bubbling under the surface and will not go away.

State benefits in the South are far better than the north. Soon the North will start paying council tax and water rates, they still get masses of EU funding compared to the rest of the UK.

The Stormont parliment is still in turmoil and the current upsurge in terrorist attacks is making thing far worst.
Old 12 January 2010, 09:44 AM
urban
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Blue Dragoon
Years ago the Protestant population far out numbered the Catholics. This is slowly changing. The Catholics don't believe in contraception or abortion (allegedly) and are cranking out sprogs faster than a puppy farm. Have a look at the figures for females from the South travelling to the UK for abortions.

Perhaps in a few years the vote to split may go the wrong way for HMG.

The system in NI is still very much being driven by the religious issue, it's bubbling under the surface and will not go away.

State benefits in the South are far better than the north. Soon the North will start paying council tax and water rates, they still get masses of EU funding compared to the rest of the UK.

The Stormont parliment is still in turmoil and the current upsurge in terrorist attacks is making thing far worst.
We've been payin for our water via rates charges for years

State benefits may well be better in the south, but the cost of living is much higher in general and they'll still be in recession for the next 5 years I'd say.

Personally all I want is for the terrorists to **** right off and or wise up/grow up