Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Question More labia miss management/global warming bull****e

AA warns councils over low salt stocks | BIGON Sandbank
Old 08 January 2010, 07:28 PM
SunnySideUp
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

EH?

Heaviest Snow in 30 years ... longest coldest period in much longer ... and you expect that the Government allows Councils to stock massive amounts of RockSalt - just in case?

Labour did right - operate a just-in-time principle and save taxpayers money .... you would rather add 1p to a litre of petrol to pay for what you would like to happen?

Yes or No?
Old 08 January 2010, 07:34 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Daft reply from SSU, as usual
Old 08 January 2010, 07:46 PM
SunnySideUp
Scooby Regular

A reply, though - you will notice ..... not your 'Lets slag someone off' post
Old 08 January 2010, 08:03 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SunnySideUp
EH?

Heaviest Snow in 30 years ... longest coldest period in much longer ... and you expect that the Government allows Councils to stock massive amounts of RockSalt - just in case?

Labour did right - operate a just-in-time principle and save taxpayers money .... you would rather add 1p to a litre of petrol to pay for what you would like to happen?

Yes or No?
I thought road tax was supposed to be used for funding roads and their maintenance.

Chip
Old 08 January 2010, 08:06 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Not any more - not since they worked out that higher taxes mean less global warming.

Just look at how the weather has been since VAT went back up!
Old 08 January 2010, 08:09 PM
SunnySideUp
Scooby Regular

I do blame Labour for this weather ..... I'm sure they thought that January would be General Election month

Remember, only Labour supporters are hard enough to turn out if there's a chill in the air .... the Tory lovers will only turn out if it is all sunny and calm and they can have a jolly good walk through ones estate
Old 08 January 2010, 09:00 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

And this would be the same government who overpayed £10M to asylum

seekers, and admitted it failed to track where the money was going, and it

could be higher, as they haven't checked for 2 years.

Money ? Salt?, hey whats the difference who gives a f*ck, its not our money.

Mart
Old 08 January 2010, 11:55 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mart360
And this would be the same government who overpayed £10M to asylum

seekers, and admitted it failed to track where the money was going, and it

could be higher, as they haven't checked for 2 years.

Money ? Salt?, hey whats the difference who gives a f*ck, its not our money.

Mart
OMG we cannot even have a discussion about the weather and the shortage of rock salt without asylum seeker / immigrants getting the blame

You guys seriously need to change the record
Old 09 January 2010, 12:12 AM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

PPS I know what you're thinking - Tyler must have made some mistake - surely local councils have spent more than £12.2m on gritting. But I promise you that's the official number from the Local Government Association. Here's the full quote:
No what I'm actually thinking is that you need to get out more often
Old 09 January 2010, 09:24 AM
r32
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hutton_d
You won't believe how apt your comment is! My little hamlet is only about a 1/2 mile from a main(ish) road. As the council haven't been seen in it at all this winter, those of us with 2-wheel drive cannot get in or out. All it would take is a gritter on a 200 yard hilly stretch and we would be *able to get out more*.

Dave
Same situation where I live, small village with a block of old peoples flats and about 60 bungalows for the elderly / disabled. We used to get the roads gritted but not any more. Sadly many of the residents are unable to leave their homes, most dont have a vehicle and the pavements are a huge disgrace. Abandoned by the state.

But the Government etc have been pushing global warming and the long range forecast by the Global Warming Met Office was for (same as last year) a mild winter, so it would be a brave council to stock up to normal levels of road salt and grit.
Old 09 January 2010, 10:50 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

250 thousand tonnes less stockpiled than this time 10 years ago - why ?
Old 09 January 2010, 12:02 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

250 thousand tonnes less stockpiled than this time 10 years ago - why ?
Climate change, mate, we don't need it: the south of England, for example, was going to have a mediterranean climate by 2010 or so.........
Old 09 January 2010, 12:14 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

mmm, its a difficult one this, how do you plan for something that happens once in a blue moon?

flooding is a classic example, flooding tends to only happen when there are extreams, to actually cover the cost of making sure flooding doesn;t ever happen your prob gonna have to pay extra £200 a month to c0ver the cost.

you have to try to provide for the most you can with what you have. simple as, you can;t cover everything
Old 09 January 2010, 12:38 PM
Klaatu
Scooby Regular

Some people need to get in touch with reality....

http://wattsupwiththat.files.wordpre...is_uk_snow.jpg
Old 09 January 2010, 12:40 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

How come the west of Ireland haven't had any?
Old 09 January 2010, 12:47 PM
Klaatu
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
How come the west of Ireland haven't had any?
Interesting one indeed. I'd say Gulf stream....but that should also keep Cornwall warm too. Clearly not this winter. Atlantic Conveyor "shutting down", lol. I'd imagine the winters of the late 60's and early 70's would have looked like this from space.
Old 09 January 2010, 12:50 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Oh, you mean the winters when the self-same set of scientists were forecasting the next ice age that only 20% of the world's population could possibly survive? Those winters?
Old 09 January 2010, 01:00 PM
Klaatu
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
Oh, you mean the winters when the self-same set of scientists were forecasting the next ice age that only 20% of the world's population could possibly survive? Those winters?
You were there too? Funny hey? We can thank Thatcher for the CRU and, eventually, the IPCC.

We can thank Al Gore for the interwebby thing too. Darwin had to wait weeks, months, if not years, to get work peer reviewed.

Last edited by Klaatu; 09 January 2010 at 01:02 PM.
Old 09 January 2010, 01:54 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Martin2005
OMG we cannot even have a discussion about the weather and the shortage of rock salt without asylum seeker / immigrants getting the blame

You guys seriously need to change the record
Would I be right to assume that you would be the first to offer them free board and accommodation Martin if they needed somewhere to live? You sound like that kind of a chap!

Les
Old 09 January 2010, 01:58 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SunnySideUp
EH?

Yes or No?
Isn't it reasonable to expect a proper back up in case of bad weather with all the council tax and road fund tax that we have been paying for such a long time?

Its like insrance really, it costs the country more in the long run if it is forced to largely close down.

Les
Old 09 January 2010, 02:40 PM
Klaatu
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
Isn't it reasonable to expect a proper back up in case of bad weather with all the council tax and road fund tax that we have been paying for such a long time?

Its like insrance really, it costs the country more in the long run if it is forced to largely close down.

Les
Oh come on Les, you know insurance is a big ponzi scheme. And my parents are snowed in in Hampshire, not happened in 35 years since we moved there. We used to have grit bins on roads in the '70's but I guess with gorebull warming, such as that covering the UK right now, we don't need them as there is no snow or ice anywhere in the UK, right?
Old 09 January 2010, 03:12 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Les
Absolutely right.

The government are going to lose more money in lost tax revenues caused by people driving, working and shopping less than they would have spent on making sure this sort of shambles could not happen.

Just when we may possibly have been seeing the faint glimmers of an economic recovery they find another way to shoot themselves in the foot and shaft us along the way yet again.

Last edited by f1_fan; 09 January 2010 at 03:13 PM.
Old 09 January 2010, 05:17 PM
Luan Pra bang
Scooby Regular

Why are English people so useless in bad weather ? We could insist on winter tyres we could also just insist on people carrying a pair of auto-snow-socks in the car at all times. THe issue is too many people using the weather as an excuse to not work combined with idiots who cannot drive. MOst cars can get where they need to go if they have too I do not understand how snow is the governments problem, its weather deal with it instead of moaning about it. Most of northern Europe must be pissing themselves at how this country grinds to a standstill when 4 inches of snow hits the ground.
Old 09 January 2010, 05:28 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Would I be right to assume that you would be the first to offer them free board and accommodation Martin if they needed somewhere to live? You sound like that kind of a chap!

Les
Eh?
Old 09 January 2010, 05:34 PM
SunnySideUp
Scooby Regular

I'm still trying to work out the link behind Immigrants and the Snow which has fallen once in 30 years!? And I've failed, there is no link - just the ramblings of the Tories

I cannot believe there are people on here (supposedly intelligent, in the most part) who think we should stockpile rocksalt, at huge cost to the taxpayer, incase - once in every 30 years - the snow is heavy!!!
Old 09 January 2010, 06:15 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Why is there less than 10 years ago is the issue , and actually i remember heavy winters in the early nineties - down south even

Last edited by dpb; 09 January 2010 at 11:08 PM.

Quick Reply: More labia miss management/global warming bull****e