Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Bad customer service!

Search this Thread

Old 08 January 2010, 03:42 PM
subaruturbo_18
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Bad customer service!

I hate it. With an un-dying, never-ending, un-beatable passion.

I went to tescos yesterday. I was looking to buy all the correct ingredients to make a penang chicken thai curry. I needed a few ingrediants and it would take me hours to find them in the large tescos, so i went to the customer service desk.

I asked her where two of the three ingredients were and she found them on her computer, and told me the isle they were on. Great.

But i asked for the third one and she said tescos diddnt stock it. I thought fair enough, but at this point she had shut off.

I asked her where oriental, or asian ingredients were (local sainsburys have an isle for this) and she just said, i don't know. I paused for a min waiting for a "I'll just go find out" but nothing. I asked if there was an isle for spices or similar, and again she just said, sorry but i just don't know.

Now i got pissed off, and just walked away from the counter so i wouldn't start shouting at the useless woman, more concerned about making a scene than the feelings of the bint.

Am i being over the top or is that un acceptable? a customer service desk offering bad/bare minimum/no customer service? Should she not have found out my request? saying "I don't know" in my opinion, is not an aswer to a question.

Really realy hate bad customer service .

Anybody agree with me?
Old 08 January 2010, 03:48 PM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You're being over the top. I would have said 'go and look yourself you stupid ****!'.

...which is why I don't work in customer service.
Old 08 January 2010, 03:59 PM
The_Beast
Scooby Regular

Tbh with you they don’t really need to care as they make so much profit. Think it is becoming more and more common for customer service not to give a damn. In her defence she probably deals with so many complaints all day her instant reaction is to switch off after a short time.

I once had a moment with TfL customer service when I phoned them over just a query. The girl actually started shouting at me and then hung up on me. Fabulous customer service! Ended up so mad I called back and asked to be put through to a manager just to vent my frustrations.
Old 08 January 2010, 03:59 PM
warrenm2
Scooby Regular

sometimes a prompt of "is there anyone you could ask who would know" might help
Old 08 January 2010, 04:07 PM
darts_aint_sport
Scooby Regular

+1 for use your eyes and look you lazy ******!
Old 08 January 2010, 04:10 PM
markr1963
Scooby Regular

@ the OP
You would have been better off asking one of the minions in the aisles. I can honestly say that nowhere in the UK, USA, Canada, NZ or Oz I have I found an employee amongst the aisles that could not direct/take me to what I wanted or tell me said that the store did not stock the item. Maybe I've been lucky or more likely these guys stack shelves.

Customer Services are best suited to when one wants to return or complain about something, IMO.
Old 08 January 2010, 04:11 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by darts_aint_sport
+1 for use your eyes and look you lazy ******!
Ditto. How can you can expect a young girl that may have only been there a few months, with no interest in cooking, where a particular spice was? If I ever need to find something, I always ask a shelf stacker, as they are far more likely to know where something is as opposed to someone who never leaves the customer service desk.
Old 08 January 2010, 04:11 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

In the past five years, undoubtedly THE worst customer service I've ever had has been from Tesco. They just do not care if you come back or not. And they tell lies
Old 08 January 2010, 06:04 PM
WRX_Dazza
Scooby Regular

Location: Going further than the station and back !!! ZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzz

i'd be too embarrased to ask someone without first looking myself. things are generally grouped together so can't be that hard.

as above, ask a shelf stacker and they would feel so important that they would give you a guided tour. (pick a fit one and have some banter on the way too)
Old 08 January 2010, 06:13 PM
billyray911
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I totally agree with you.Just before Christmas i went to buy a specific brand of perfume from Boots,for a relative.I dont normally bother with shop staff as they usually disappoint (i tend to do the bloke thing and research myself and then just go and buy).
Anyway,while i was looking,a young girl came up to me and asked what i was looking for and if she could help.
I said what i was looking for and she just looked blankly at me and said "i dont know about that,sorry!".
I did say to her,"well whats the use of you asking me what i was looking for ,if you have no intention of either looking for the product,asking someone who may know or assisting in any way?".This just went straight over her head and she just looked at me in the same blank way... I walked straight out and bought it online.
Probably Christmas staff,but the wife said that i shouldnt have been so off-ish with her.I think that if you are going to stick your head above the parapet and get involved,then at least have some knowledge base or shut the f@@k up ...or am i alone in thinking this?

Last edited by billyray911; 08 January 2010 at 06:15 PM.
Old 08 January 2010, 07:02 PM
deanb1980
Scooby Regular

its a little over the top it may have been her first day and tbh your not gonna get the brightest of people on minimum wage at tesco unless there from poland
Old 08 January 2010, 07:11 PM
daddyscoob
Scooby Regular

Never had a problem with Tesco's. Just before Xmas in our shopping was a small toy priced on the shelf at 6.99. Went through the till at 15.99. Didn't get into a discusson with the checkout girl but went straight to Customer Service.

They asked me to show them the price on the shelf front which I did. The girl removed the card we returned to the desk and she gave us the Full amount back in cash 15.99 AND we got to keep the item !!!!!! can't beat them if you ask me
Old 08 January 2010, 07:34 PM
MMT WRX
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by daddyscoob
Never had a problem with Tesco's. Just before Xmas in our shopping was a small toy priced on the shelf at 6.99. Went through the till at 15.99. Didn't get into a discusson with the checkout girl but went straight to Customer Service.

They asked me to show them the price on the shelf front which I did. The girl removed the card we returned to the desk and she gave us the Full amount back in cash 15.99 AND we got to keep the item !!!!!! can't beat them if you ask me
I think this is policy. My daughter used to work for Tesco and I remember her telling me once that they had some Playstations marked up wrong and a customer getting one free. Must have been +£200
Old 08 January 2010, 09:04 PM
superstar1
BANNED

Originally Posted by subaruturbo_18
I hate it. With an un-dying, never-ending, un-beatable passion.

I went to tescos yesterday. I was looking to buy all the correct ingredients to make a penang chicken thai curry. I needed a few ingrediants and it would take me hours to find them in the large tescos, so i went to the customer service desk.

I asked her where two of the three ingredients were and she found them on her computer, and told me the isle they were on. Great.

But i asked for the third one and she said tescos diddnt stock it. I thought fair enough, but at this point she had shut off.

I asked her where oriental, or asian ingredients were (local sainsburys have an isle for this) and she just said, i don't know. I paused for a min waiting for a "I'll just go find out" but nothing. I asked if there was an isle for spices or similar, and again she just said, sorry but i just don't know.

Now i got pissed off, and just walked away from the counter so i wouldn't start shouting at the useless woman, more concerned about making a scene than the feelings of the bint.

Am i being over the top or is that un acceptable? a customer service desk offering bad/bare minimum/no customer service? Should she not have found out my request? saying "I don't know" in my opinion, is not an aswer to a question.

Really realy hate bad customer service .

Anybody agree with me?
Nobody should put up with an @rsehole like you, even if they are of low interlect and on minimum wage.
Get a life you gimp, if you had spoken to my wife or daughter using that tone just because of the latest TV cookery fad, i would seek you out and chin you.
If you are physically or mentally disabled and are unable to do your own shopping, please eccept my apologies.
Old 08 January 2010, 09:26 PM
Lisawrx

Well I'll rise to this.

Firstly, the attitudes of some on this thread are quite nasty to say the least. Just because you work in a shop/lower paid job doesn't mean you are totally stupid or at least don't deserve a little respect. I bet many people on here who are 'better' than us minimum wage workers couldn't do the job. Not because it's difficult, but because of what you have to put up with daily.

Secondly, she could've tried to find someone who could help you. You can't necessarily expect someone on a desk that predominately deals with complaints/refunds etc. to know exactly where everything is in a shop you obviously weren't even prepared to look around yourself. If that is where she works all of the time, the chances are she doesn't know where half the stuff is, as it's not really part of what she does. As said, she could've shouted for someone for you though.

Thirdly, it does however become very frustrating in such jobs to see just how lazy/unwilling customers are. We have a large Tesco near us, and I would never dream of walking in and asking for someone to tell me where stuff I wanted was. All the aisles are marked, and it's not rocket science to at least find the relevant aisle. If you then can't find exactly what product you want, then fine, ask. But to just walk in and expect someone to do your shopping for you (just about) imo is just lazy. The same happens day in day out where I work, and it's a tiny shop compared to Tesco.

I am personally happy to help people as much as I possibly can, but it is very frustrating the amount of people who can't help themselves a little.

(btw, I do find Tesco to be particularly bad in terms of service, across the board)
Old 08 January 2010, 09:28 PM
oldsplice
Scooby Regular

Beat me to it Lisa!
Old 08 January 2010, 09:39 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

My little brother has just finished working at Tesco's for about 3 months over the Xmas rush. I certainly wouldn't call nearly £10.00 p/h working nights shelf stacking minimum wage fodder

For the record I rarely use tesco's but they do have pretty much everything, so when I do, I ask one of the lads/lasses who stock replenish. If they don't know I ask if they know someone who does and thank them for their time.
Old 08 January 2010, 09:43 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by superstar1
Nobody should put up with an @rsehole like you, even if they are of low interlect and on minimum wage.
Get a life you gimp, if you had spoken to my wife or daughter using that tone just because of the latest TV cookery fad, i would seek you out and chin you.
If you are physically or mentally disabled and are unable to do your own shopping, please eccept my apologies.
So do you think he was wrong in asking?
Old 08 January 2010, 09:44 PM
Lisawrx

Originally Posted by oldsplice
Beat me to it Lisa!
Old 08 January 2010, 09:50 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Lisawrx
Well I'll rise to this.

Firstly, the attitudes of some on this thread are quite nasty to say the least. Just because you work in a shop/lower paid job doesn't mean you are totally stupid or at least don't deserve a little respect. I bet many people on here who are 'better' than us minimum wage workers couldn't do the job. Not because it's difficult, but because of what you have to put up with daily.

Secondly, she could've tried to find someone who could help you. You can't necessarily expect someone on a desk that predominately deals with complaints/refunds etc. to know exactly where everything is in a shop you obviously weren't even prepared to look around yourself. If that is where she works all of the time, the chances are she doesn't know where half the stuff is, as it's not really part of what she does. As said, she could've shouted for someone for you though.

Thirdly, it does however become very frustrating in such jobs to see just how lazy/unwilling customers are. We have a large Tesco near us, and I would never dream of walking in and asking for someone to tell me where stuff I wanted was. All the aisles are marked, and it's not rocket science to at least find the relevant aisle. If you then can't find exactly what product you want, then fine, ask. But to just walk in and expect someone to do your shopping for you (just about) imo is just lazy. The same happens day in day out where I work, and it's a tiny shop compared to Tesco.

I am personally happy to help people as much as I possibly can, but it is very frustrating the amount of people who can't help themselves a little.

(btw, I do find Tesco to be particularly bad in terms of service, across the board)
Truer words never spoken Lisa.

There are big signs above each aisle, unless you can't read in my opinion you just wasted the girls time.

From always being in retail, i find how you treat/talk to the staff members will very much dictate how you are dealt with.

PS. I'm a jackass on the net just to balance out how nice I am to people in reallife!
Old 08 January 2010, 09:56 PM
Lisawrx

Originally Posted by chocolate_o_brian
My little brother has just finished working at Tesco's for about 3 months over the Xmas rush. I certainly wouldn't call nearly £10.00 p/h working nights shelf stacking minimum wage fodder

For the record I rarely use tesco's but they do have pretty much everything, so when I do, I ask one of the lads/lasses who stock replenish. If they don't know I ask if they know someone who does and thank them for their time.
I assume when you say nights, you mean nightshift, and like our nightshift, they are paid more due to unsociable hours. Tesco pay more than us, but believe me those who work through the day (putting up with all the crap that goes with that) are on far less. At least in our case.

As for what you say in your second paragraph, do you a jus ask if you are having trouble finding something, or just because you can't be bothered to look? I'm not being nasty, and I don't know fully what is entailed in the Tesco day job role, but at my work, alot more than customer service is expected from us, and it does get annoying when people simply can't be bothered to look for what they want.

P.S. At least you say thank you, as most people don't, regardless of how much help you provide.

Last edited by Lisawrx; 08 January 2010 at 09:57 PM.
Old 08 January 2010, 09:59 PM
Lisawrx

Originally Posted by Jamz3k
Truer words never spoken Lisa.

There are big signs above each aisle, unless you can't read in my opinion you just wasted the girls time.

From always being in retail, i find how you treat/talk to the staff members will very much dictate how you are dealt with.

PS. I'm a jackass on the net just to balance out how nice I am to people in reallife!
Precisely.

Think this is the first time we've agreed on something.

(joking, think we only disagreed about Top Gear)

Last edited by Lisawrx; 08 January 2010 at 10:00 PM.
Old 08 January 2010, 10:02 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

I assume when you say nights, you mean nightshift, and like our nightshift, they are paid more due to unsociable hours. Tesco pay more than us, but believe me those who work through the day (putting up with all the crap that goes with that) are on far less. At least in our case.

As for what you say in your second paragraph, do you a jus ask if you are having trouble finding something, or just because you can't be bothered to look? I'm not being nasty, and I don't know fully what is entailed in the Tesco day job role, but at my work, alot more than customer service is expected from us, and it does get annoying when people simply can't be bothered to look for what they want.

P.S. At least you say thank you, as most people don't, regardless of how much help you provide.

Nooo, I'll usually walk in, try find the rought area and right isle. If I can;t I have no qualms in asking for assistance as I do it genuinely, not because I think I'm some higher power bounding down on those beneath me

If I worked in a shop/supermarket or whatever, I'd expect to be thanked if I've helped someone, so do the same regardless. Just how I work.
Old 08 January 2010, 10:02 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Precisely.

Think this is the first time we've agreed on something.

(joking, think we only disagreed about Top Gear)
to be honest i don't know what i agree/disagree with these days, i just make it up as i go along!
Old 08 January 2010, 10:03 PM
Dedrater
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by superstar1
Nobody should put up with an @rsehole like you,
PMSL.

and +1, spot on Lisa
Old 08 January 2010, 10:05 PM
Lisawrx

Originally Posted by chocolate_o_brian
Nooo, I'll usually walk in, try find the rought area and right isle. If I can;t I have no qualms in asking for assistance as I do it genuinely, not because I think I'm some higher power bounding down on those beneath me

If I worked in a shop/supermarket or whatever, I'd expect to be thanked if I've helped someone, so do the same regardless. Just how I work.
Fair do's.

I have no problem if someone gets stuck after looking, just annoys me when they walk in and don't try.

Even worse when you are standing at the entrance, they walk in and say they've looked all over and can't find something.
Old 08 January 2010, 10:14 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Even worse when you are standing at the entrance, they walk in and say they've looked all over and can't find something.
But what if it is their car they can't find and have just spent 20 minutes in the car park?
Old 08 January 2010, 10:14 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

nowt beats the feeling of telling a customer to lick the back of my crack in my opinion!

Last edited by Jamz3k; 08 January 2010 at 10:16 PM.
Old 08 January 2010, 10:18 PM
lordharding
Scooby Regular

yes another one who thinks the op should have looked first or a least asked a shelf stacker who would of been in his element and proud to help you as they get little customer liason but all dream of being a suoper store manager as they stack shelves

give the young girl a break cant expect her to leave a busy desk to look through shelves as she would probly got into trouble for leaving her post .
I think tesco/asda etc staff are great and just remember they are on the minimum wage and are doing their best in their job which might be the only job they could get

Quick Reply: Bad customer service!