Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Lazy staff?

Search this Thread

Old 08 January 2010, 10:02 AM
sarasquares
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy Lazy staff?

I had a 4pm hospital appointment yesterday and thought i would call them first to see if i could go in earlier as i assumed that a good few patients would not have been able to get to the hospital leaving some gaps in the timetable.

How wrong i was. I was really surprised to find out that only 2 people had canceled their appointments but nearly half the staff had not made it in because of the weather.

I assume that many patients have disabilities as this was the Orthopedic clinic and many would have been elderly, yet they are still able to make the journey.

What happened to dedicated hospital staff?

Shame on those that used the snow as an excuse.
Old 08 January 2010, 10:07 AM
Wish
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If the staff had kids and the schools shut, What can they do ???
Old 08 January 2010, 10:07 AM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

Perhaps their cars couldn't get traction either.

I'll get me parka.
Old 08 January 2010, 10:22 AM
sarasquares
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Wish
If the staff had kids and the schools shut, What can they do ???
The general excuse was that they were unable to get in because they couldn't make the journey. I know a few of the staff at the hospital and they were moaning how they had all been using the snow as an excuse and they were sick of it.
Old 08 January 2010, 10:30 AM
Hysteria1983
Scooby Regular

I know a few people have been unhappy about that. My sis in law works at the Wolverhampton eye infirmary and she said that the patients were getting in, but the staff couldn't.

Then when the staff were told they had the option to take the time as annual leave or as unpaid holidays, they were not happy.

Lesson here... more effort required.
Old 08 January 2010, 10:38 AM
sarasquares
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Hysteria1983
I know a few people have been unhappy about that. My sis in law works at the Wolverhampton eye infirmary and she said that the patients were getting in, but the staff couldn't.

Then when the staff were told they had the option to take the time as annual leave or as unpaid holidays, they were not happy.

Lesson here... more effort required.
I bet they weren't. I assume they were then all able to mysteriously get into work

The staff that do bother to go in then have to make up the shortfall so they are more than p1ssed off.
Old 08 January 2010, 10:44 AM
The_Beast
Scooby Regular

Am having the same issue here but with my team. All the tubes are running and many are still not coming in at all. One emailed to say as the pavements were iced up he could not walk to the tube from the hotel as it was too dangerous.

There definitely are cases where people are stuck but there are some that are just taking advantage of the situation.
Old 08 January 2010, 10:49 AM
sarasquares
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by The_Beast
Am having the same issue here but with my team. All the tubes are running and many are still not coming in at all. One emailed to say as the pavements were iced up he could not walk to the tube from the hotel as it was too dangerous.

There definitely are cases where people are stuck but there are some that are just taking advantage of the situation.
I think its a problem that is going to get worse too. If a staff member says its too dangerous to get in and the boss says tough, if they then go on to fall and injure themselves will/can they sue the boss?

All this health and safety stuff is beyond me now.
Old 08 January 2010, 10:59 AM
Hysteria1983
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by sarasquares
I bet they weren't. I assume they were then all able to mysteriously get into work

The staff that do bother to go in then have to make up the shortfall so they are more than p1ssed off.
Oh yes, plenty more of them have turned up today. Surprise!

If the Eye Infirmary had been closed, fair enough, but most of them took the 'couldn't make it' approach. I find it hard to believe, when the hospital is not too far out of the city center and pretty much on every bus route that goes somewhere.
Old 08 January 2010, 11:06 AM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Bubba po
Perhaps their cars couldn't get traction either.

I'll get me parka.
*appreciated*
Old 08 January 2010, 11:08 AM
The_Beast
Scooby Regular

I think its a problem that is going to get worse too. If a staff member says its too dangerous to get in and the boss says tough, if they then go on to fall and injure themselves will/can they sue the boss?

All this health and safety stuff is beyond me now.
Probably right on that one.

I think the Director is going to ask those that did not come in to prove what they did that day at home or is taking it off as A/L. Will see what happens. Am on a contract so if I am not in I do not get paid. Simples!
Old 08 January 2010, 11:09 AM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

I've been going the gym at lunch this week to avoid the man January rush of the fat beasts but it seems rather busy during the day compared to normally. I expect a lot are people who cant make it in to work but can make it to the gym. We're a lazy arsed nation.
Old 08 January 2010, 11:14 AM
sarasquares
Scooby Regular

Probably right on that one.

I think the Director is going to ask those that did not come in to prove what they did that day at home or is taking it off as A/L. Will see what happens. Am on a contract so if I am not in I do not get paid. Simples!
As Hysteria said, the threat of having to count it as A/L has made them find a way to get in.

I had an electrician turn up from Surrey this morning and i live 30 miles North of London. so i know it can be done, yet i am waiting for a hob to arrive from Redhill and they cant to it because of the weather
Old 08 January 2010, 11:24 AM
Timwinner
Scooby Regular

I walked 2 hours into work and 2 hours back yesterday. It was a pain in the backside but its possible.
Lucky for me we have a satellite office 4 miles away, If you live within walking distance there is no real reason not to turn up.
If you dont then perfect excuse for a day in bed.

The most important thing to remember is work is just work and not worth killing yourself for.
Old 08 January 2010, 11:24 AM
The_Beast
Scooby Regular

Yep! Looks like the A/L threat worked. One of them just turned up two hours late despite him being a half hour tube journey away from the office. Funny how I have been in for hours and am on the same line as he was.

Deary me! I hear Surrey was really bad from all my friends down that way.
Old 08 January 2010, 11:28 AM
The_Beast
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Timwinner
The most important thing to remember is work is just work and not worth killing yourself for.
I agree with that. We were meant to drive to Sutton in Ashfield last night from London to do some work today but I postponed the project as it was too much of a risk going up there. We had a little fiesta rented to make the trip so no 4x4. Think sometimes it is a judgement call.
Old 08 January 2010, 12:10 PM
sarasquares
Scooby Regular

Yep! Looks like the A/L threat worked. One of them just turned up two hours late despite him being a half hour tube journey away from the office. Funny how I have been in for hours and am on the same line as he was.

Deary me! I hear Surrey was really bad from all my friends down that way.
I think once you are on the main roads there is no problem. Where i live the roads are solid thick white snow still, if you can manage not to go sideways going round bends until the main roads its not that bad. I have an Impreza but i dont know what it is like with 2 wheel drive. I assume once the ground is ice then AWD is no better then normal drive.

It is snowing again here now.
Old 08 January 2010, 12:24 PM
Timwinner
Scooby Regular

Just started snowing again here, I have been told it is a company expectation that I get to work this afternoon.
My garage door has 8" of snow in front of it, as to does my driveway. I am going to have to dig a 30 meter drive way out to get the car from the garage so I can drive through rural Surrey to get to the A3!!!

I feel a sick day coming on.
Old 08 January 2010, 12:26 PM
The_Beast
Scooby Regular

I found with my last car it was difficult on the ice to say the least. Although my Scoob is now tucked up in the carpark as am avoiding any driving until it clears. Trains all the way for me!

Although over Xmas it was great on thick ice. The culdesac is like an ice rink back home. It did really well whilst everyone with 2WD struggled to get up the road and were wheel spinning like crazy. It was fairly fun and scary seeing the neighbour take his M5 out of his drive.

No snow here at the minute and the sun is out!
Old 08 January 2010, 12:26 PM
mr_D
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by STi wanna Subaru
I've been going the gym at lunch this week to avoid the man January rush of the fat beasts but it seems rather busy during the day compared to normally. I expect a lot are people who cant make it in to work but can make it to the gym. We're a lazy arsed nation.

i have noticed the same thing down by me. the gym seems to be busy in januray but the last few days it has been mad in the day when normally its quiet. and i havent had 1 day off work at all because of the snow.

unlike the rest of my company i work for
Old 08 January 2010, 12:43 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

I had a 4pm hospital appointment yesterday and thought i would call them first to see if i could go in earlier as i assumed that a good few patients would not have been able to get to the hospital leaving some gaps in the timetable.

How wrong i was. I was really surprised to find out that only 2 people had canceled their appointments but nearly half the staff had not made it in because of the weather.

I assume that many patients have disabilities as this was the Orthopedic clinic and many would have been elderly, yet they are still able to make the journey.

What happened to dedicated hospital staff?

Shame on those that used the snow as an excuse.
Could be a few things.

Kids off school, and no baby sitter.
Staff have to travel in to work, patients live near by.

Did you get your 4pm appointment? If so, stop complaining.
Old 08 January 2010, 01:04 PM
sarasquares
Scooby Regular

I said on a later post that it wasn't a childcare problem.

And, yes i did get my appointment but because of the staff shortages i wasnt seen till nearly 5pm.