Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Any good diets?

Search this Thread

Old 01 January 2010, 04:42 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Any good diets?

The painkillers my doctor has now got me on have helped me to put on 12lbs in ten weeks, so I'm going to have to stop with THOSE and would like to lose a fair bit of weight.

Just stopping them won't do, since I was a bit overweight anyway, and they helped me put on weight by increasing my appetite.

I need a reasonable diet, plus some exercise, the latter alone isn't any good to me, due to ongoing neck/back problems.

Anyone point me in the direction of a diet?

TIA
Old 01 January 2010, 04:46 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Just about no beer , and more lettuce
Old 01 January 2010, 04:55 PM
ritchie21
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Slimming world. Most definitely!Whilst not massively overweight (size 12) I realised that I had put on 2 and a half stone since I got married nearly 5 years ago. There's no way I wanted to have put on another 2 and a half stone in the next 5 years!

I tried every blooming diet under the sun but I love my food and like to have a drink. My next door neighbour lost 5 and a half stone in a year doing Slimming World but i knew she still drank and ate well. So I decided to go to the group and give it a go.

I still pretty much drink what I want (and more than I should for the plan) but have lost 17 pounds in 4 months. Not much more than a pound a week on average but I haven't really stuck to the plan through December and have kept it all off.

I am looking forward to starting it again properly and i'm quite surprised at how much better I feel following the plan. It doesn't work for everyone but does for me.

You can do it online if you'd rather not go to group, but I find the support of my fellow dieters to be invaluable!

Good luck!
Old 01 January 2010, 07:21 PM
+Doc+
Scooby Senior

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Eat less, move around more.
There is no magic fix, hard work and sticking to a good healthy lifestyle.
Everything in moderation also, fad diets never last long and you end up putting more back on.
Old 01 January 2010, 07:36 PM
type-ellis
Scooby Regular

If you are strong minded it shouldnt be too hard to do. Ive done it myself, it does have to be more of a lifestyle change tho rather than just a short diet. Whatever you do dont just think, dont eat and i will loose weight, it doesnt work like that. Firstly i got myself into a good routein down the gym, find out what you enjoy doing, some people i know enjoy lots of cv training where as for me i enjoyed the weights and rather than just makeing the weight drop off me i decided to loose alot of the fat and build some good lean muscle, just dropping in the odd cv day maybe once a week. Im down now from a 38" waist and 16st too 32" waist and 13st8 and some good lean muscle. I watch my diet weekdays and allow myself the odd treat at the weekend, its not about what you eat, more important is how much you eat. Rather than eating large meals that you feel like you carnt move after, try eating smaller meals but more of them, that way your body will prety much use all of it rather than use what it needs and store the rest.
As i said, get yourself into a gym, make some friends and start picking up tips, ive been traing for about 3 years now, look good for it, feel great and i love going down there.

Last edited by type-ellis; 01 January 2010 at 07:37 PM.
Old 02 January 2010, 12:06 AM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

Instead of beer, drink vodka lime & soda.
Instead of a sandwich for lunch, eat salad.
Instead of a chocolate or crisps for snack, have a piece of fruit.
I lost two stone doing those three things just last year. You'd be surprised how much money you save too.
astraboy.
Old 02 January 2010, 12:10 AM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Run 3 miles 5 times a week, don't eat too much over your daily allowance and the weight will fly off
Old 02 January 2010, 01:59 AM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by astraboy
Instead of beer, drink vodka lime & soda.
Instead of a sandwich for lunch, eat salad.
Instead of a chocolate or crisps for snack, have a piece of fruit.
I lost two stone doing those three things just last year. You'd be surprised how much money you save too.
astraboy.
Good advice but you didn't have a stone to lose let alone 2!