Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Any roofers out there ?

Search this Thread

Old 30 December 2009, 07:34 PM
fatscoobfella1
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any roofers out there ?

I seem to have a small annoying drip that comes from where the chimney meets the roof tiles.
Its progressively getting worse and the weather we had has over the last few days are making it worse.It does only seem to happen when the direction of rain and wind is against the opposite side of the stack to the gable end..

If i look up from the loft i can see drips from where the tiles meet the chimney breast.

I suspect the leadwork has gone or something,even though i have a receipt saying this was done 4 years ago before we bought the house.

Dont really know any local builders,so what kinda money would i be looking at for getting this sorted out..??

Worse time of year for this to happen as it blowing a gale and nobody is working anyway..

Any help or infor appreciated.. Oh,cant do it myself as im phobic of heights!!!
Old 30 December 2009, 08:09 PM
Jamie
Super Muppet

Get the wife/gf/b/f up with a tube of sonolastic glue that with fix it
Old 30 December 2009, 08:23 PM
rooferman
Scooby Regular

Could be 1 of many things fatscoobfella...........

Which side of chimney..????... ie side/front or rear....and does it have a back flashing???

It wont be the lead itself failed, but more down to the installation, if only a couple of years old...and sometimes the way the tiles have been cut to the chimney...

Would help to know roof material...ie slate, plaintile or interlocking..??

AR Roofing Ltd - Professional roofing services in Northamptonshire
Old 30 December 2009, 08:39 PM
fatscoobfella1
Scooby Regular

Hi fella's and thanks for the replies..

The roof has slates,and they lip over each other....Any help??

The part that seems to be leaking is the opposite side to the gable end.If you can imagine the chimney stack as a rectangle.One side of the chimney breast sits flush with the gable end.Well its the side thats directly opposite to that.Where the ridge tiles meet the chimney.
Not sure of "back flashing",it seems to have lead on the side where the tiles are and on the short sides of the stack. There is non on the gable end side..

I know it all sounds a bit vague,but dont know how to explain it better..

Pity your so far away
Old 30 December 2009, 09:00 PM
maps
Scooby Regular

i would bet the rain with wind has driven up under the lead, could be the lead is a tad short on the top slate, or lead has lifted ????????

mark
Old 30 December 2009, 09:31 PM
rooferman
Scooby Regular

O.k......When flashing a slate roof the lead should,nt come onto the slates on the side of the chimney......ie a cover flashing.

You should see the step flashing and the slates buuting up tight to the stack. The water is taken away by using lead soakers which are laid onto the slates as they are fixed...

I,ll try and find a photo to explain....If a cover flashing has been used on slates (on a side abutment) then eventually they will fail....as driving rain and capillary reaction take affect....

Also could be down to a broken slate etc...but i,l stick a pic up first.
Old 30 December 2009, 10:16 PM
rooferman
Scooby Regular

A couple of pics...there not the best but i cant get to the office pc....

Firstly a soaker system which is what you should see on the side of stack.
Some builders/roofers use a cover system which is wrong, and also some just replace the step flashing part and not the important soakers...

And then the cover flashing system which is what you shouldn,t see on slates...

p.s not my work !

I know this may not help a lot but at least it gives you a bit of amunition when you get a roofer to look at it.....Like i said it could be a number of things.

Last edited by rooferman; 30 December 2009 at 10:21 PM.
Old 31 December 2009, 08:58 AM
fatscoobfella1
Scooby Regular

Well our stack hasnt got the leadwork cut into the brickwork i can see that much.

I know this may sound daft,but is the difference between the 2 pics that the leadwork is under the slate where it buts up on pic one,and over the slates on Pic 2 ?

I realise that you probably see it everyday and it makes perfect sense to you,but i work in a completely different field and have no experience at all in roofing..

For what its worth,and from my limited view from the ground.It just looks like rectangular pieces of lead have been cut,then bent into "L" shapes and fitted between stack face and tiles.Although i cannot be 100% sure if the leadwork is on top or underneath the tiles...

My guess is that is on top,and this is why i have my problem..

From what you describe it looks like what we have is a **** up,and a sh!te one at that..

So....I now need to have this sorted,is there some kind of ballpark figure that you could give ? Again i realise it must be hard,but if i have somekind of figure i can get some estimates for repair..

Can i just say Rooferman,thanks for the excellent info and pics..Good work fella.
Old 31 December 2009, 10:20 AM
rooferman
Scooby Regular

Cost wise.......Lead is now bloody expensive.

To re-lead and soaker a complete chimney on a slate roof depending on size of stack??

A budget of between £375 + vat and possibly up to about £575 + Vat.

Now you only have 3 sides as stack is on gable wall..????

Should take a roofer nomore than 1 day...bearing in mind that slates have to be removed from stack to install lead soakers...

This is a rough figure only...

Where abouts are you ???
Old 31 December 2009, 01:45 PM
fatscoobfella1
Scooby Regular

Hi again...

Yes there is a gable wall that sits flush with one side of the stack,so im guessing it will be 3 sides of the stack that need leadwork.The property is a stone semi detached cottage so the stack is relatively small and made of brick.

Im in High Peak,Derbyshire.. Glossop being the nearest big town to me.

The prices sound fine,although i hate paying bloody VAT....lol...