Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Help with cabling (and how houses are built!)

Search this Thread

Old 30 December 2009, 06:59 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with cabling (and how houses are built!)

I tried to do this a year or so ago and failed, but with a new TV I thought I would try again and ask the power that is Scoobynet to help me ....

I have a Sky+ box in the loft that distributes the signal. Long and complicated reasons for this.

I would now like to have the Sky+ box in the lounge so need to feed the two satellite cables from the loft to the lounge. Easy: There is already an aerial cable there, so I'll just pull it up with a piece of string attached and then pull it down with the two cable attached. Nope, wont budge.

Fine, I have a cable feeder (thin plastic flexible screwed together thing) so unscrew the aerial box, push up the feeder and it gets stuck at around ceiling height. Obviously something blocking between floors.

Any suggestions? I thought plasterboard houses had empty walls ...

Thanks,

Steve
Old 30 December 2009, 07:06 PM
g7prs
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The cable could be going through tiny holes in the dwangs in the walls and it might be the case the hole is only big enough for one cable. In my brothers house one of the cables went up one section of the wall then went through at 90 degrees into the next section and up into the loft, this made it impossible to attach one cable to the other to pull it through.

Hope this makes some sense.
Old 30 December 2009, 07:51 PM
Dedrater
Scooby Regular

Are you going through the wall cavity? If you are then there will be wall ties and such like, might just be a snag due to mortar or some other material.

Just guessing.
Old 30 December 2009, 08:01 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Had a similar thing happen when I tried to fit an outside light to a modern house. Removed old single gang switch, and tried to feed wire both up from, and down to, the patress.
It just got stuck at the same point both ways.

Eventually marked it and chopped a small hole in the plaster, to find that the capping was in two bits and had been fitted with it's inner ends offset. I eased it a bit and the wire went up perfect.

You may have to do similar.
Old 30 December 2009, 11:54 PM
Butty
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by g7prs
The cable could be going through tiny holes in the dwangs in the walls and it might be the case the hole is only big enough for one cable. In my brothers house one of the cables went up one section of the wall then went through at 90 degrees into the next section and up into the loft, this made it impossible to attach one cable to the other to pull it through.

Hope this makes some sense.
Had the same - the cable ducts on each floor were 30cm offset so threading any cable through was impossible. I presume the cable was fed through as each floor was built and the fools never made sure the ducts lined up.

I had to feed the sat cable out through the eaves and down the outside of the house then straight in behind the telly.
Old 31 December 2009, 12:35 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Okay, thank you. I guess there is a piece of wood between the floors as I can get the cable feeder up to the ceiling.

I should just stop being a wimp and crawl in the loft and look down the place where the cables drop. Fear of spiders ninja stalking you in an enclosed space is irritational ...

Steve
Old 31 December 2009, 01:38 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Make sure you have a clear exit!

Les