Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Filing Tips Needed

Search this Thread

Old 30 December 2009, 09:46 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Filing Tips Needed

I'm just an ordinary family bloke who runs a small business from home. I also happen to be pretty disorganised and someone who HATES filing things. I always have been and am unlikely to change anytime soon

But New Year and all that I am determined to try and get my papers in some sort of order. I do have a pretty basic box-file system but most stuff just ends up in various piles of paper "to be sorted"!

I am planning to get say a dozen box-files and keeping papers loose in them labelled accordingly. Usual categories e.g. banking, cars, tax and finance, business, kids stuff etc etc.

So how do you organise your household and business papers? All tips invited.

Cheers, David
Old 30 December 2009, 10:05 AM
RJMS
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by David Lock
I'm just an ordinary family bloke who runs a small business from home. I also happen to be pretty disorganised and someone who HATES filing things. I always have been and am unlikely to change anytime soon

But New Year and all that I am determined to try and get my papers in some sort of order. I do have a pretty basic box-file system but most stuff just ends up in various piles of paper "to be sorted"!

I am planning to get say a dozen box-files and keeping papers loose in them labelled accordingly. Usual categories e.g. banking, cars, tax and finance, business, kids stuff etc etc.

So how do you organise your household and business papers? All tips invited.

Cheers, David
You sound a bit like me

I would say that the box file idea is good but probably better to use lever arch files instead simply because a box file is just another pile of paper but stored neatly in a box. If you ever need to find a particular document there would be a risk (or at least there would be with me) that unless you were disciplined to tidy up immediately afterwards (which is not always easy if for example you were waiting on a response from another party) you could end up with another un-filed pile of paper work. At least if they are in lever arch files it is easier to keep similar documents together and it does force you to be a bit more disciplined. You can always use plastic folders for anything that you don't want to punch holes in.

It works (sort of) for me!
Old 30 December 2009, 12:35 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by RJMS
You sound a bit like me

I would say that the box file idea is good but probably better to use lever arch files instead simply because a box file is just another pile of paper but stored neatly in a box. If you ever need to find a particular document there would be a risk (or at least there would be with me) that unless you were disciplined to tidy up immediately afterwards (which is not always easy if for example you were waiting on a response from another party) you could end up with another un-filed pile of paper work. At least if they are in lever arch files it is easier to keep similar documents together and it does force you to be a bit more disciplined. You can always use plastic folders for anything that you don't want to punch holes in.

It works (sort of) for me!

OK, thanks - I'm glad I'm not the only one.

I do use Lever Arch but they do take much longer to use and how do you keep say a glossy document? The plastic thingies only seem to have room for a few sheets of A4. The roomier ones cost a relative fortune.

I'll use Lever Arch for regularly used fies e.g. bank statements and box files for not-busy papers like car and house insurance.

It doesn't help having to keep business records for 6 years
Old 30 December 2009, 12:46 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

I use the box files for different projects etc, seems to work fine for me, although the dining table is slowly becoming a permanent desk.

Time for a bigger house with an office/gaming room.
Old 30 December 2009, 01:18 PM
tarmac terror
Scooby Regular

It depends on the volumes of paperwork involved, we tried the box files thing for a while, then small metal boxes with suspension files in them, and as neither worked well, I bought a 3 drawer filing cabinet in January last year. Definitely the best solution. I found filing things in the lowest level of detail was the best way to go. Eg one file for house insurance, one file for life insurance, one file for each car containing its service records and insurance etc.

It makes things dead easy to locate, by filing them in date order. I normally take an hour on a Saturday morning and file the household stuff from the week before.

I have serialised the files by number from 001 to 060 so they always end up back in the cabinet in the same order, making locating them simple.

One other tip, if you have a lot of files, create a master index listing the file numbers and the subject. That way if one or more is missing, you know precisely which files they are.
Old 30 December 2009, 01:34 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Ring file ,2 hole variety, for each tax year ( paid/unpaid )plus a decent filing cabinet which went with a decent desk one time ( seems to have suppliers catalogues in presently ) plus a couple of box files of samples and a ring file for technical info .

Bought 4 ring files ( better than box cos all papers are in order,automatically) just before xmas to sort the last few years out .....cos i didnt have premises and um....sort of didnt do much for a couple of years

I think i meant lever arch , in fact

Last edited by dpb; 30 December 2009 at 01:37 PM.
Old 30 December 2009, 01:41 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Put everything on dd on the internet - halves the paper

- youve only then got to remember 23 different passwords
Old 30 December 2009, 08:43 PM
Sosbanite
Scooby Regular

I also run a small business from home.
I keep a spreadsheet of income, outgoings, expenses etc and use these Go Shopping - Really Useful Boxes - 4 litre Really Useful Box
to keep all my receipts, paperwork etc in categorising them using a Dymo labeller.
Personally I cannot be bothered with lever arch files/box files - find them a pain in the butt!
Old 30 December 2009, 11:09 PM
Simon K
Scooby Regular

I think the key to good accounting is time. You really need to put aside 2 hours a week to properly keep on top of your papers. Whether you have several folders, boxes, etc, time is what you need to go though them, file them, update spreadsheets and keep your accounts up to date.

SBK
Old 31 December 2009, 03:06 AM
scoobeenut
Scooby Regular

Can you not scan all the documents? Once you have done this it is much easier to file and store them on disk or online and takes up much less space.
Old 01 January 2010, 01:44 AM
DemonDave
Scooby Regular

Agreed with scoobeenut - scanning its the way - minimal paperwork and just organised your filenames and folders on the PC.
Old 01 January 2010, 11:26 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Scanning - nice thought but impractical. I probably have half a million bits of paper to sort, half of which should be kept. This excludes the quarter of a million separate files already on my PC.

And even if a lot go on a PC I then have to back them up on an external drive although this doesn't take long these days.

Incidentally I went to Staples yesterday to buy some more box files to make a start. But they are about £4 each now and the half depth ones are £4.70 each Fine if you just need a couple but I planned to get a few dozen.... Looks like an e-bay search.

Better get on with it

David
Old 01 January 2010, 11:37 AM
DemonDave
Scooby Regular

Scanning - not impractical !

Completed it a few months ago ... all paperwork scanned and sorted

If would already have that many files on the PC then you should already have an organised structure and a backup \ 2nd source process in place? Or you are already at risk.

If you organised the scanning beforehand - understand what can be scanned as pages into one file then it becomes quite easy. The hardest part is the disposal. I normally shred but I had to burn as there was so much !!! For any paperwork you need to keep you can throw in a box and mark it for disposal in x months time.

Once on top of it - it takes no time at all.

Secondary benefit - complete backup. You are saying you would have to backup the PC ... but how do you backup the paperwork. Paperwork is a fire hazard.

Next benefit - missus is not shouting at me for have tooooo many boxes full of paperwork.

TBH --- you can talk yourself out of anything