Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Not very happy with energy supplier...

Search this Thread

Old 29 December 2009, 01:20 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not very happy with energy supplier...

... or should that be Experian.

Asked a little while ago about coming off pre-payment meters onto direct debit or quarterly bills. The general concesous on here was direct debit seems cheaper. After calling my supplier for gas & electric (Southern Electric) it seems I needed a credit check assessment through Experian before I could come off the meters. Now Southern Electric claim their unit charges etc. are the same throughout their range of products, but you do save 5% for simply being on direct debit. 'Sign me up' I said as any saving in my current financial situation is better than a kick in the *****.

They did the check and it seemed all went well on the phone. Just received a letter through the post from Southern Electric telling me I CANNOT come off pre payment meters as my credit check failed miserably. To be fair I'm not suprised that much that I failed it (although I was told it was a very simple check and not indepth what so ever), but I am pissed off as I'm now stuck on a product I don't wish to be on. I rang up and was told the same thing as the letter - that I can apply again in 3 months. Up until then I HAVE TO stay on pre payment meters.

Sorry but it kinda stinks to me. Since seeking help from the Citizens Advice Bureau 18 months ago, I have agreed (and maintain) payment plans to any outstanding creditors. There are official agreements in place and I meet these agreements every month (for the record it's one loan and one credit card).

So my only option now is to try push through with a grant for some home insulation and try save money that way. Comes across to me (and I grant you that I am annoyed and not currently thinking rationally) that it's a catch 22 situation with repards pre payment meters.

Before finishing on the phone I asked what would be the case if I were to swap suppliers for my electricity and gas supply. As expected I was told they all have to do the same check now, so I am literally stuck. A cold house, high bills and a bald head - Happy New Year

Rant over
Old 29 December 2009, 01:47 PM
Klaatu
Scooby Regular

Don't worry. Mr Broon will make sure you have almost no choice in a few years.
Old 29 December 2009, 02:40 PM
Scooby Soon!
Scooby Regular

look out for npower loft insulation special offer on hotukdeals, you can get 100 square metres for about £45 and they deliver it!
Old 29 December 2009, 03:19 PM
RJMS
Scooby Regular

Is it worth seeing if your other half has a sufficiently good credit record to qualify for the Direct Debit option?
Old 29 December 2009, 04:14 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Scooby Soon!
look out for npower loft insulation special offer on hotukdeals, you can get 100 square metres for about £45 and they deliver it!
I'd have to pay to get it installed as my asthma would play havoc in my loft - and theres big hairy spiders in there Will keep an eye out though as could save some $$$

Originally Posted by RJMS
Is it worth seeing if your other half has a sufficiently good credit record to qualify for the Direct Debit option?
This was suggested on the phone, but afaik the check is done on the household not induvidual occupants. It may be worth another call to see if my fiancee could apply on my behalf though
Old 29 December 2009, 04:25 PM
RJMS
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chocolate_o_brian
This was suggested on the phone, but afaik the check is done on the household not induvidual occupants. It may be worth another call to see if my fiancee could apply on my behalf though
Credit records are held for individuals, you may well show up on your other half's credit record especially if you have any form of joint credit (mortgage etc.) but I don't think it shows your credit history, I certainly can't see my wife's on my Experian credit report although she is listed as an "associated person"
Old 29 December 2009, 05:18 PM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

... or should that be Experian.

Asked a little while ago about coming off pre-payment meters onto direct debit or quarterly bills. The general concesous on here was direct debit seems cheaper. After calling my supplier for gas & electric (Southern Electric) it seems I needed a credit check assessment through Experian before I could come off the meters. Now Southern Electric claim their unit charges etc. are the same throughout their range of products, but you do save 5% for simply being on direct debit. 'Sign me up' I said as any saving in my current financial situation is better than a kick in the *****.

They did the check and it seemed all went well on the phone. Just received a letter through the post from Southern Electric telling me I CANNOT come off pre payment meters as my credit check failed miserably. To be fair I'm not suprised that much that I failed it (although I was told it was a very simple check and not indepth what so ever), but I am pissed off as I'm now stuck on a product I don't wish to be on. I rang up and was told the same thing as the letter - that I can apply again in 3 months. Up until then I HAVE TO stay on pre payment meters.

Sorry but it kinda stinks to me. Since seeking help from the Citizens Advice Bureau 18 months ago, I have agreed (and maintain) payment plans to any outstanding creditors. There are official agreements in place and I meet these agreements every month (for the record it's one loan and one credit card).

So my only option now is to try push through with a grant for some home insulation and try save money that way. Comes across to me (and I grant you that I am annoyed and not currently thinking rationally) that it's a catch 22 situation with repards pre payment meters.

Before finishing on the phone I asked what would be the case if I were to swap suppliers for my electricity and gas supply. As expected I was told they all have to do the same check now, so I am literally stuck. A cold house, high bills and a bald head - Happy New Year

Rant over
I didn't realise they did a credit check to pay by DD. Usually the DD has been paid for 3 months before the bill comes in anyway.

Sounds like they may be pulling a fast one. I would kick them into touch as fast as possible. They are all scrapping for business so get phoning the other suppliers and be up front with them.

Also, don't be frightened to nag for the grant, especially in this weather.

Good luck
Old 29 December 2009, 06:18 PM
Fabioso
Scooby Regular

The reason a credit check is carried out is because you would be going on to a credit meter. That means you can use electricity/gas and then be billed for it hence why its called a credit meter because its "energy on credit".

The fact that you elect to pay by direct debit makes no difference because you can cancel that at any time with your bank (or the bank might be bouncing it, if the accounts in an unauthorised position) and the energy company can't force you to then pay monthly up front.

Like with mortgages, people who are unable to manage their finances don't usually get the best interest rates because they are a higher risk to lend to.
Old 29 December 2009, 06:38 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Fabioso
The reason a credit check is carried out is because you would be going on to a credit meter. That means you can use electricity/gas and then be billed for it hence why its called a credit meter because its "energy on credit".

The fact that you elect to pay by direct debit makes no difference because you can cancel that at any time with your bank (or the bank might be bouncing it, if the accounts in an unauthorised position) and the energy company can't force you to then pay monthly up front.

Like with mortgages, people who are unable to manage their finances don't usually get the best interest rates because they are a higher risk to lend to.
Makes sense. I may try another company tomorrow to see what they say on the phone. Luckily before loosing my job I didn;t have mahoosive amounts of debt or credit, simply my mortgage and said loan/credit card. I think defaulting last year hasn't helped, but I may try the Mrs thing tomorrow when she finishes work.

House is cold, but we're playing Wii sports so warming up
Old 29 December 2009, 06:49 PM
zs_phil
Scooby Regular

i would try another supplier ,they might be telling porkies to get you to stay
Old 29 December 2009, 08:21 PM
Jamie
Super Muppet

Did you get my pm choco ?

Sorry can not help you with the meters
Old 29 December 2009, 08:51 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jamie
Did you get my pm choco ?

Sorry can not help you with the meters
Yes I did, and no worries.
Old 29 December 2009, 08:54 PM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

A cold house, high bills and a bald head - Happy New Year

Rant over
May I suggest buying a warm hat...
Old 29 December 2009, 09:13 PM
Jamie
Super Muppet

Cheers chap and may i suggest you buying something from dewline ? sleeping bags

Mountain Equipment Dewline Sleeping Bag - Only £129.95 - Cave and Crag

Or start watching bear grylls

Last edited by Jamie; 29 December 2009 at 09:16 PM. Reason: spolling
Old 29 December 2009, 09:28 PM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

Originally Posted by Fabioso

I live and learn. To be honest, it never entered my head as I have always paid DD for the bills. Then I know what is left is fun money
Old 29 December 2009, 09:41 PM
Jamie
Super Muppet

Hola lee/les
Old 30 December 2009, 03:11 AM
GC8
Scooby Regular

If your service head is inside, then a scouse horseshoe might be an option.....
Old 30 December 2009, 01:41 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GC8
If your service head is inside, then a scouse horseshoe might be an option.....