Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Will I need planning permission?

Search this Thread

Old 27 December 2009, 10:40 AM
paulg1979
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will I need planning permission?

Hi all,

I want to extend my lounge as its starting to feel a little small. I have a detatched house and wanted the same as this house opposite me but without the slate roof just the glass roof.

I want the sloping brick walls either side and the same glass roof. I already have the glass windows and doors in my lounge at the moment but would want them removed and put into the extension so my lounge would be one room still but bigger

Does anyone know if I would need planning permission for this and any one in the business who would have an idea how much it would cost?

Thanks
Old 27 December 2009, 10:46 AM
Trout
Scooby Regular

You will need planning permission. Most local governments have an online 'preparation' system, but you will need to go through the full process.

A decent builder can put you in touch with the right people to help you - e.g. architect to put the drawings together for the planning permission.

If the people opposite have had it done, ask them what process they went through.
Old 27 December 2009, 10:50 AM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Not necesarily, it may be covered by "Permitted Development"

No more than half the area of land around the "original house"* would be covered by additions or
other buildings.
• No extension forward of the principal elevation or side elevation fronting a highway.
• No extension to be higher than the highest part of the roof.
• Maximum depth of a single-storey rear extension of three metres for an attached house and four
metres for a detached house.
• Maximum height of a single-storey rear extension of four metres.
• Maximum depth of a rear extension of more than one storey of three metres including ground
floor.
• Maximum eaves height of an extension within two metres of the boundary of three metres.
• Maximum eaves and ridge height of extension no higher than existing house.
• Side extensions to be single storey with maximum height of four metres and width no more than
half that of the original house.
• Two-storey extensions no closer than seven metres to rear boundary.
• Roof pitch of extensions higher than one storey to match existing house.
• Materials to be similar in appearance to the existing house.
• No verandas, balconies or raised platforms.
• Upper-floor, side-facing windows to be obscure-glazed; any opening to be 1.7m above the floor.
• On designated land* no permitted development for rear extensions of more than one storey.
• On designated* land no cladding of the exterior.
• On designated* land no side extensions.
Old 27 December 2009, 10:53 AM
paulg1979
Scooby Regular

Interesting.

They didn't have that done. That was the design of the house just thought I could have it looking the same as what the developers have done.
Old 27 December 2009, 10:59 AM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Paul, assuming you don't live in a conservation area, just check your extension meets the criteria above. If so you'll need a builder, an architect (who the builder will sometimes bring to the party) and a building regs inspector, again the builder will either use a private contractor or one from the council.

First port of call is a builder, get recommendations, then quotes, then references for your chosen builder.

Quite possibly the builder will quote in stages, so you'll pay at any given stage which may be:

Foundations dug
Brickwork complete
First fix (windows, plaster)
Second fix (finishing, Electrics, plumbing)

As Trout says, once you and the builder understand what work is required and whether it passes Permitted Development criteria, you can double check with the council via their portal. I'd recommend you get a letter from the Council which states that the development does not require planning as it will help come house sale time.

Last edited by MattW; 27 December 2009 at 11:01 AM.
Old 27 December 2009, 11:06 AM
paulg1979
Scooby Regular

Cheers fellas. Will get a builder to come and have a look after christmas and go from there. Getting a letter from the council will be a good idea too.

I'm hoping it will be around £10k and not much more.
Old 27 December 2009, 11:07 AM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Check with your Local Authority. Don't leave it to chance with people on Scoobynet. I'm an ex Planning Officer and wouldn't say for sure one way or another whether you will need it.
Old 27 December 2009, 11:11 AM
paulg1979
Scooby Regular

Yes will do. The last thing I want is to spend all that cash to be told it has to be demolished!
Old 27 December 2009, 03:57 PM
miff13
Scooby Regular

Don't just check with the local authority, they'll only tell you if what you are hoping to build meets the requirements for "permitted development" they won't look at the original planning consent for the development to see if these rights were withdrawn.

It looks like a fairly new development and I'd wager that the permitted development rights were withdrawn , and you will require planning consent. Your local authority will have a planning portal on their website, and with a bit of luck you could probably search for, and download the original planning consent for free (good luck making sense of the gibberish it contains!)

Don't forget that you will also probably need Building Regulations Consent, check with Building Control at your local council, and make sure the work is inspected and signed off by them.

I'd also bet you have a restrictive covenant not to alter the property without the developers consent, this cannot be unreasonably withheld, but they can charge you a handy admin fee for providing it.

Good luck!
Old 27 December 2009, 04:10 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

...concur with the last point. We used to live in a Bryant house that had an integrated double garage. A popular conversion was to make one of the garages a room - Bryant held a covenant so they could take a fee for the conversion.

Like everyone says - you local council is likely to have help for you online. Planning portals can be quite extensive.

I need planning permission to even fart beyond the original walls or interior of our house!
Old 27 December 2009, 05:07 PM
pacenote
Scooby Regular

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Saxo Boy
Check with your Local Authority. Don't leave it to chance with people on Scoobynet. I'm an ex Planning Officer and wouldn't say for sure one way or another whether you will need it.
This guy's usually on the money

Do yourself a bit of a sketch, take some photos aswell and pop into the LA to see duty planning officer and ask. Simple.

the extension in that pic looks like a conservatory to me
Old 27 December 2009, 06:04 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Basically wou want a conservatory? So no planning permission just building regs. If you wzant to be sure just submit a very basic idea of what you want with measurements to the local town and country planners and they will inform you by post if you need it or not. The drawing doesn't have to be perfect, just basic enough for them to understand what you want to do and the size its going to be
Old 27 December 2009, 06:09 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Even if it is a 'conservatory' you may still need planning permission.
Old 27 December 2009, 06:16 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Trout
Even if it is a 'conservatory' you may still need planning permission.

Not unless it goes over 2m within 1.8m of a boundary line and unless this extension and all other building work done to the proper exceed 70cubic meters. If your under those its just building regs. But the good old town and country planners will tell you. I got the builder who done my conservatory to submit a drawing just to be sure I would have no comebacks from any of the nieghbours. It looked like a 7year old had drawn the picture in pencil but it still had the idea of what I was getting done
Old 27 December 2009, 07:02 PM
VeilsideWRXUK
Scooby Regular

A conservatory is classed as a structure with the side units having a larger glass area than brick, ie, 51% glass to 49% brick. The structure you show has a larger brick area so will need building regs. Planning Permission depends on how much permitted development you have left. Some new estates have none what so ever as the builders apply to build say 20 properties. They get rejected and build say 18 but with the provision that no building work whatsoever can be undertaken in the future without planning permission. As previously stated, if you send in a letter or architects plans the local council will try and get some money out of you one way or another either by the need for planning or a certificate of lawfulness to state that you don't need planning. The best thing to do is go down to your council office and work on the proviso that you are contemplating doing some work in the future and need some free advice. Normally you will find that the people down there are quite helpful.
Old 27 December 2009, 09:36 PM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you pursue this development under 'permitted development' rules then get a 'certificate of lawfulness' PRIOR to starting the build.

This says that the council agrees that as long as you keep the extension the same as drawings submitted that they agree that it's permitted development
Old 27 December 2009, 10:16 PM
paulg1979
Scooby Regular

Thanks for all your help. Will get in contact with the council and a builder to seek some advice.

I know its sort of like a conservatory but conservatory's don't normally have brick walls either side and they normally have their original doors leading into the conservatory wheras I want it to be a part of my original lounge.
Old 27 December 2009, 10:37 PM
nik52wrx
Scooby Regular

Do what i did.
Submit a drawing to your local council office and let them tell you what is and whats not required, simple as that, you can even go and speak to them if required. Don't rely on a builders say so, his opinion on matters can mean jack.
I had a 4m x 4m garden room built which didn't require planning consent, only building reg's as i suspect yours will.
Nik.
Old 28 December 2009, 11:40 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

My sister is having an extension built at the moment. She did need planning consent especially since the house is listed but the modern regulations attached to the consent start to get quite incredible in many ways. There is not necessarily anything unreasonable about the regulations, but the number of them is quite astounding.

Les
Old 29 December 2009, 04:28 PM
paulg1979
Scooby Regular

So I spoke to the local council today and was told I have to fill in a Lawful Development Certificate for a Proposed use or development form and pay £75 and they will let me know if I need planning permission. Thing is I've been through all the criteria on their website and my extension does not fall into any of them needing planning permission for what I'm doing, so is it still wise sending this form off with £75?
Old 30 December 2009, 01:14 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Sounds like yet another rip off to charge you for that bit of information. You would have to pay all over again to get the actual permission I bet.

Les
Old 30 December 2009, 05:36 PM
paulg1979
Scooby Regular

Sounds like a rip off to me too. I'm starting to look into a conservatory now as I really can't be bothered with the hassle. At least with this I can have some sockets and underfloor heating installed and won't need to get building regs involved. Been looking on the net. Anyone used a good conservatory site. These seem good. Anyone used them?

Conservatories from Conservatory Land UK - DIY Conservatories Supplier
Old 30 December 2009, 05:49 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

You still need building regs for a conservatory as well! In fact you need building regs for virtually any modifcations to the property. Some people may not bother but if you come to sell the house on and you don't have building regs it will either delay the sale or it won't actually be counted in the sale price!
Old 30 December 2009, 06:14 PM
paulg1979
Scooby Regular

No you don't need building regs for a conservatory. Looked it up on the portal planning website. As long as the electrics are done by a qualified electrician and can give you a certificate of installation your ok.

Planning Portal - BR: Conservatories