Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Stunned ...

Search this Thread

Old 19 December 2009, 12:13 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stunned ...

Bought a watch from America recently & below is copy of the tracking info as it's coming via UPS:

Attempted Delivery Abroad, December 18, 2009, 1:12 pm, GREAT BRITAIN
At Foreign Delivery Unit, December 18, 2009, 3:03 am, GREAT BRITAIN
Out of Foreign Customs, December 17, 2009, 10:15 am, GREAT BRITAIN
Into Foreign Customs, December 15, 2009, 8:11 pm, GREAT BRITAIN
Arrived Abroad, December 15, 2009, 7:58 pm, GREAT BRITAIN
International Dispatch, December 12, 2009, 10:55 pm, ISC SAN FRANCISCO (USPS)
Arrival
Processed through Sort Facility, December 11, 2009, 9:16 pm, SEATTLE, WA 98168
Acceptance, December 11, 2009, 2:17 pm, SUMAS, WA 98295

There has been no attempted delivery as we were in all day yesterday Did a bit of research on t'internet & it turns out that it's been delivered to the UK Carrier (Parcelforce etc) who have hold of it waiting for any "charges" to be paid ... nothing through our door though to let us know what's going on

I'm fecking fuming

Anyone else had similar experience?

TX.
Old 19 December 2009, 12:22 PM
Mifo
Scooby Regular

might be something to do with import duties mate.
They'll hold on to it until they are paid. Sometimes you might get away without paying them its just down to luck really.
Old 19 December 2009, 12:24 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

It depends on what it is, how big it is and how much the customs/duty it is.

I used to buy RC cars and parts from US/China/Japan and normally I would be asked to pay a charge on delivery. I once bought something from the US (can't tell you what but customs referred to it as "gym equipment" ) and I had a phonecall to pay the fees over the phone.

Never had a problem. I wouldn't start to worry until it hasn't arrived by 24th. It should do by then.
Old 19 December 2009, 12:34 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

Will they attempt to deliver it though or just hold it "until fees are paid"? I don't know which UK carrier has it at the mo ...

TX.
Old 19 December 2009, 12:49 PM
dazdavies
Scooby Regular

Received 82 Likes on 46 Posts

Partial farce are shyte!
My most recent one was that I was expecting a parcel that hadnt turned up. After checking tracking details it turns out the parcel has been delivered to a post office 6 miles away even though the nearest one to me is about two minutes walk away and they hadnt even bothered to try and deliver it as I had been working at home all that week. I never send anything with that shower of shyte.
Old 19 December 2009, 12:52 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

They won't deliver the parcel until all duty and taxes are paid, either get in touch with parcel force and find out how much you owe or wait for them to contact you, which is usually around two weeks time. Parcel force will rip your eyes out with duty as well
Old 19 December 2009, 01:00 PM
scarey
Scooby Regular

UPS deliver the package but you have to a phone a number and pay the charges via credit card whilst the driver waits or he takes package away with him again.

work for an american company and we are constantly having to explain to customers that although it may look like you are getting a cheaper deal buying from US rather than UK, by the time you pay import duty, customs clearance charges, courier admin charges and your time involved in sorting these things out you dont get quite the deal you think you are.
Old 19 December 2009, 01:03 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Dude, do you mean USPS ? UPS would deliver it themselves. USPS use ParcelFarce to deliver theirs in the UK.

As for the delivery status, they did EXACTLY the same with mine, although I didnt have a tracking number, no attempt was ever made, and it was only out of luck that I tracked down where it was and got it off the theivin *******s!
Old 19 December 2009, 01:04 PM
Petem95
Scooby Regular

In my experience you get the stuff delivered, and then you get a statement from the courier which details the charges (including import duty, and the amount you pay is a bit of a lottery)
Old 19 December 2009, 01:14 PM
markr1963
Scooby Regular

I've had this happen with Parcel Force. They held the item until duty was paid. Distinct lack of communication on their part, IIRC. The only other courier I've duty 'issues' with is DHL
Old 19 December 2009, 01:31 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Petem95
In my experience you get the stuff delivered, and then you get a statement from the courier which details the charges (including import duty, and the amount you pay is a bit of a lottery)
Yeah that would be the usual case with a regular courier company who pay the taxes in advance for you, then claim back. But I think this is USPS, which like the cash up front + about £30 handling fee.
Old 19 December 2009, 03:13 PM
CaptainJohn
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You`ll have to wait until you get a letter from ParcelForce with a code on it for you to pay the duty online. When you have paid the duty they will deliver it at a date specified by you when doing the transaction . Usually get the letter in a week or so of it arriving in the country but its Xmas and the posts all gone **** up so there may be a bit of a delay. I`ve never had a problem with the system and still loads of bargains to be had.
Old 19 December 2009, 03:20 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

Yeah, USPS. Regretting using them now as paid an extra $25 for tracked delivery ... should have just used standard post as probably would have been missed by customs too

TX.

Originally Posted by Snazy
But I think this is USPS, which like the cash up front + about £30 handling fee.
Old 19 December 2009, 04:39 PM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Some stunning misinformation on this thread. So pretty normal for SN then.

TX, that's an entirely normal pattern of tracking. Whether you'll have to pay duty (and an additional handling charge) will depend on what the stated value is on the Customs declaration form which will be attached to the parcel. The maximum value you're allowed, including postage charges, is £18. So as you can imagine quite a lot of items are worth a combined £15 or thereabouts, quite strangely.

If it's above this figure though, there is no element of chance about it, there is a fixed scale of charges. Size/weight is irrelevant, value is what counts. Parcels from USA almost always get stopped and checked, those from most other countries are less rigorously scrutinised. You'll either have the parcel delivered or you'll receive a Parcel Force letter telling you what you need to pay. In my experience Parcel Force are extremely efficient with international parcels.

Do be aware though, that if it's proved that you've deliberately asked the sender to misrepresent the content's value, it's fraud and open to criminal investigation. Added to the fact that if a valuable parcel goes missing, if its value was understated, you'll only be insured for that amount too.

Last edited by TelBoy; 19 December 2009 at 05:11 PM.
Old 19 December 2009, 04:51 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

I would not say anything over that size will almost definatly get stopped, given the volumes coming in. But there is always a chance.

Sadly companies who promise to list it as "gift" or deal with customs fees etc usually get flagged, so if its a company known for cheating customs, then yes, good chance of it getting stopped.

USPS/ParcelForce, operate in a very different way to the more express courier companies, who will usually bill at a later date to speed the whole process up.

Personally I would not choose to use USPS and ParcelForce out of choice

Agreed on the misrepresented costing though, risky business.
Old 19 December 2009, 04:52 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Parcel Force charge either £13:50 or £8:00 for their handling fee. Yours will be £13:50 as youve elected for the equivalent of EMS. If they didnt do this, then the parcel would be held in a bonded warehouse until your customs agent had made the payment on your behalf. If youve ever used a customs agent then youll know that £13:50 is a bargain.
Old 19 December 2009, 04:54 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Also: couriers (UPS - DHL etc) are far more likely to check than the Royal Mail are and they charge a lot more too.
Old 19 December 2009, 04:58 PM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Snazman; finite, definite, definitely
Old 19 December 2009, 05:01 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

too, their, they're, you're, should have, separate, desperate etc.
Old 19 December 2009, 05:04 PM
Dan Gleebits
Scooby Regular

Location: in a place where there lots of rocks to chuck at feejits

Tel
P
E
D
A
N
T

HTH
Old 19 December 2009, 05:08 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

The £38 exception is a load of bllocks as I ordered a Bluetooth adapter from USA for £26 delivered yet I still had to pay parcelfarce £12ish in duty and charges.
Old 19 December 2009, 05:12 PM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Steve you're right, excuse me. It's £18 not £38.

HM Revenue & Customs
Old 19 December 2009, 05:35 PM
Dedrater
Scooby Regular

Its all one big ****ing con anyway, if UK businesses can't compete, then that's there problem.
Old 19 December 2009, 05:45 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Anyone know how ths one might work? Let's say I was from a foreign non EU country and doing a trade fair in the UK. I want to exhibit £10000 of jewellery at the trade fair but once the fair is finished the jewellery is going back out of the UK.

Would I have to pay VAT and import duty on bringing it in?
Old 19 December 2009, 05:52 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Youd have to deal with HM C&E yourself, or through an agent: removing most, if not all, opportunities for fraud.
Old 19 December 2009, 06:16 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by f1_fan
Anyone know how ths one might work? Let's say I was from a foreign non EU country and doing a trade fair in the UK. I want to exhibit £10000 of jewellery at the trade fair but once the fair is finished the jewellery is going back out of the UK.

You would probably have to import and export again.

As in pay and then claim it back on re-exporting.
Old 19 December 2009, 08:16 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

If you want to speed things up then phone them. They will more than likely charge you your charges over the phone then release the goods. It is that simple. Waiting for contact from them won't get you your watch.

However, in my experience buying from the US I have received a phone call from the courier asking for payment of import duties the day before delivery. No company in their right mind is going to lie on the value when sending it. Not only is it fraud but also the goods won't be insured.

Originally Posted by TelBoy
Some stunning misinformation on this thread. So pretty normal for SN then.
Including your original post.
Old 19 December 2009, 08:38 PM
scarey
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by f1_fan

you import it on an IPR - Inward Processing Relief I think it stands for.

this lets you temporarily import something into the country and than have 6 months to show it left the country again.

you need to co-ordiante closely with the imort agency to make sure it happens, and the important bit is that when it leaves the country again you need to ensure the export is linked back to the import, or you get hit for the duties after 6 months, and even if you prove it left the country it's too late.

courier companies are ****e at doing the exports properly even when provided with all the inforamtion. I am currently chasing TNT for an export declaration for a shipment whent back out to Kenya, and in their own words no export documentation has ever been raised, so no idea how they snuck it out the country!
Old 19 December 2009, 10:12 PM
WRX_Dazza
Scooby Regular

Location: Going further than the station and back !!! ZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzz

Originally Posted by Dan Gleebits
Tel
P
E
D
A
N