Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Minature rc helicopters ??

Search this Thread

Old 08 December 2009, 06:31 AM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Minature rc helicopters ??

Anyone know anything about these minature RC helicopters that have been out for a few years now ?? want something with replacment parts for obvious reasons, starting to se metal framed versions on ebay etc now as opposed to the foam / polystyrene versions thar are out everywhere.

looking to pay around £20 , anybody recommend a particular model or advise one to stay away from ??!!!
Old 08 December 2009, 08:40 AM
Gordo
Scooby Regular

stay away from them all - pointless tat that you'll bore of when you've had to put it back together - again - after it has bounced off the ceiling / sideboard / wall etc. very much best avoided.
Old 08 December 2009, 09:20 AM
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

For £20 it will be good for novelty value at best. Take-off, spin out of control, crash into everything, and eventually it will break.

If you want something a bit more controllable and therefore have a bit of longevity past Boxing Day have a look here:

RcMods » RC Electric Helicopters & Radio Controlled Helicopters

I'm hoping that Santa may get me one of these:

Walkera 5G6-1 2.4G - Palm Size RC Helicopter

Old 08 December 2009, 09:21 AM
SunnySideUp
Scooby Regular

Yep, agree .... £20 items are junk.

Pay for a decent 4-Channel Heli and you will have fun!
Old 08 December 2009, 09:50 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

blein eek , you can hardly see that thing ! is half the size of the controller
Old 08 December 2009, 10:47 AM
*2.0hdi*
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jono300
Anyone know anything about these minature RC helicopters that have been out for a few years now ?? want something with replacment parts for obvious reasons, starting to se metal framed versions on ebay etc now as opposed to the foam / polystyrene versions thar are out everywhere.

looking to pay around £20 , anybody recommend a particular model or advise one to stay away from ??!!!
£20 won't get much
this was a surprizingly good 3ch indoor heli, cheap, reliable ,robust

Micro Mosquito Indoor Radio Controlled Helicoptor BNIB on eBay (end time 12-Dec-09 20:00:01 GMT)

these seem to be the thing atm look good
E-FLITE BLADE MCX RC HELICOPTER BOXED on eBay (end time 08-Dec-09 18:22:36 GMT)

this could be an option
E-Flite Blade CX2 Helicopter on eBay (end time 10-Dec-09 22:06:00 GMT)

i mainly fly 6ch, walkera 22E or 36 , or petrol raptor 30
blade 400 , trex 450 are similar heli's , they're not easy to fly and can cost ££ when crashed

Last edited by *2.0hdi*; 08 December 2009 at 10:50 AM.
Old 08 December 2009, 11:58 AM
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dpb
blein eek , you can hardly see that thing ! is half the size of the controller
Therefore perfect for flying around the front room. Don't want some massive thing that will crash into everything Maybe think about a bigger collective pitch job for outdoor flying if this one works out.
Old 08 December 2009, 02:20 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

Paid around £12 for mine a few years back, bought 2 of them, the missus smashed one up, the other still flys spot on!

Little blob of bluetack on the nose of it to give it a bit of forward thrust, and you can get them shifting pretty fast
Old 08 December 2009, 02:43 PM
ScoobLou
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just bought this model for my partner for xmas which he opened last week as we are going on holiday this Friday.

METAL 3-Channel 3ch RC Remote Control Helicopter UK on eBay (end time 29-Dec-09 09:46:54 GMT)

Crashed it about 3 times and hasn't broke. You get some spare parts. The control is great and I was so impressed I got my mate to get me one so we have one each. He can land it on my hand and anywhere really as the control is so good.

Great fun for about £30. This model is very popular too as it has sold out in my mates shop and there is a waiting list for when they get more in stock.

You can also charge via your laptop USB port. Takes about 30 mins but you only get about 8 mins flying time.

By the way I didn't buy from ebay but from my mate so got it cheaper
Old 08 December 2009, 07:47 PM
babber
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I must agree these helicopters are great. They are cheap, light and very robust. Smashed mine into everything around the house (dog, cat, tv, laptop and so on) and so far I've only broken the top blade holder after twatting the top of my conservatory, oups.

I probably shouldn’t be doing this on here, but I (as a hobby at the moment) have got a great HK contact and buy lots are RC bits and bobs from him, selling them on to friends and through friends I’ve made on the helicopter BBS.

I have spare blades, motors, heads etc in stock in the UK for the helicopter scooblou mentioned.

I’ve got a few tarot 450s a tarot 250 and had a few walker micro copters, but you can’t fly them in-doors (or I can’t after almost hitting my misses with a Walkera 36 L) so don’t waste your time buying crap they are selling in the UK shops at the moment. I’ve had, and broken most of them. Currently got a 4G3 for inside, but just keep smashing it up, lol

My friend / contact can supply them to you direct, PM me and I’ll supply his website address, contact details, etc. Although I have mentioned I have spares for them, I’m not trying to sell you anything.

Thanks Phill
Old 08 December 2009, 08:01 PM
richieh
Scooby Regular

As Pete says get a decent 4 channel if you can.
The 5g6 is a cracking heli as well-Ive got one.
Also got one of the 3 channels thet scoobylou and babber mention and for the cash they are a good buy
This is my newest heli from the chap Phill mentioned
ah link dont work for some reason but its the 1950 honda civic in my garage lol
cheers richie

Last edited by richieh; 08 December 2009 at 08:03 PM. Reason: linky no workee
Old 08 December 2009, 08:05 PM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Thats great guys so glad I asked as certainly a bit wiser now !!

richie- just wonder what sort off money you are talking for the item shown in your picture ??

phill - pm sent mate appreciatte your kind offer off help thats great.
Old 08 December 2009, 08:21 PM
babber
Scooby Regular

Wink

Just found this...

YouTube - babber411's Channel
Old 08 December 2009, 08:23 PM
richieh
Scooby Regular

try again

richie
Old 08 December 2009, 08:30 PM
richieh
Scooby Regular

thats better-the basic kit cost about a ton plus electrics(about 80 quid-but could be done for a fair bit less)plus a controller(ive a multi model transmitter so can use it for a few models rather than 1 controller per model).
That is not really a beginner model though as the blades are just over a foot long each and at 2400-3000 rpm rotor speed could do some damage.
cheers richie
Old 08 December 2009, 08:38 PM
babber
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by richieh
try again

richie
Yeah unless you got a big front room you don't want to be flying that around inside. Nice Tarot 450 V2 gold if I'm not mistaken, where did you get that from?

Phill
Old 09 December 2009, 12:44 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I think Dodgy Coffer is right about getting bored with a cheap one. I would have thought a 4 channel jobber is far more satisfying.

Les
Old 10 December 2009, 10:00 PM
paulwrxboro
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by babber

thats spot on ,were from and how much please ?
Old 16 January 2010, 07:52 AM
DazW
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
I think Dodgy Coffer is right about getting bored with a cheap one. I would have thought a 4 channel jobber is far more satisfying.

Les
As recommended by ScoobyLou I bought one of these just before Xmas

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/METAL-3-Channe...#ht_3197wt_774

...for £18 I wasn't expecting much tbh ...as i've had a Picco Z & Bladerunner 2 before.

& here we are almost a month later & still using it almost every day! ...it's in a different league to the other 2 ...far more stable & controllable, so much so my favourite trick is to do a low pass under the coffee table!

Only downside is only a couple of minutes flight time & it sometimes loses IR signal (line of sight)

A couple of a guys at work have also just bought them ...& they've outdoor ones (Raptor's iirc) !

Last edited by DazW; 16 January 2010 at 07:53 AM.
Old 21 January 2010, 02:13 AM
vicky86
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by jono300
Anyone know anything about these minature RC helicopter that have been out for a few years now ?? want something with replacment parts for obvious reasons, starting to se metal framed versions on ebay etc now as opposed to the foam / polystyrene versions thar are out everywhere.

The helicopters selling on ebay is expensive for me. I always bought the items on personal online shop. Last month, I bought a Super Remote Control Dual Rotors Helicopter for my nephew as a birthday present. He like it very much.
Old 06 January 2011, 01:18 PM
DazW
Scooby Regular

Update:

The above is still going strong! ...although it's now been passed on to my 5 year old, which is testament to how easy it was to fly!

reason for giving it to my son? ...belated xmas to myself!:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...ef=oss_product

4 ch for £30 ...very impressed with it! ...ill try & post some videos up!
Old 06 January 2011, 01:36 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

I tried buying a few on ebay before Xmas and every time they took my money then said no longer in stock. Got an immediate refund admittedly but still annoying.

I bought an Esky Lama V4 from Heliguy for £70 - its not exactly mini lol. 4ch coax. Had some fun in the lounge but limited space with the xmas tree up etc. Tried it in the garden when calm and it fell onto its side. I think I panicked and must have caught the throttle stick as it took off and flew straight into the back fence. Only a small break on the socket supporting the balance bar to top rotors but still awaiting a replacement part to arrive along with some upgraded blades.

I must just be sh*t at flying them though as do a youtube search on the lama and see what people can do even outside. One chap indoors has his control trims set so well he can put his controller down and it keeps hovering
Old 06 January 2011, 05:16 PM
TurboAndy
Scooby Regular

i payed just over £50 for a 3channel electric one, waste of money if you ask me, got about 2" off the floor and that was it.
Old 06 January 2011, 05:30 PM
DYK
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I need one that is powerful enough to transport a can of beer minimum 600 yards over back gardens,and navigate around 2 big evergreen trees..Plus i'll need a search and rescue helicopter,incase the first one crashes and i need to rescue crew and beer..
Old 07 January 2011, 07:25 PM
Boro
Scooby Regular

I bought the g/f an E-Flite MCX for £60 for xmas. Absolutely awesome little things. 4 channel too if i remember right.

Hovers with no control needed at all.

Bought her dad the MCX2 for about £80 which has a bit more grunt.

We've done the £25 crappers and they arent controllable at all.

You wont go wrong with an E-Flite MCX / 2
Old 07 January 2011, 09:22 PM
Skoobie Dhu
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Got a 3 channel Apache last year - £15 quid from the Hut or Zavvi (same).
Pretty good as an indoor toy.
This year we got a 3 channel Apache fitted with a gyro to help stability and control.
It was £18 from Play.com and it's way better than the ordinary 3 channel one, very controllable, sharp turns and it doesn't need constant adjustments to stop it rotating.
Old 07 January 2011, 10:39 PM
Flathead
Scooby Regular

Just got a Feralbeast apache 4 channel off ebay for £33 pound delivered looks like a great bit of kit !
Old 08 January 2011, 07:25 AM
Saint AAI
Scooby Regular

I bought a cheapo polystyrene one over 2 years ago and it still works. Very basic, but flys quite well. I use mainly as a toy for my cats, they love it. It's survived numurous take downs by the cats as well as plenty of crashes into walls and such.
Old 10 January 2011, 12:03 PM
DazW
Scooby Regular

Quick test flight vid of '£30 crapper!'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfbntQjIWdI

Apologies for quality, but you can see a little bit of how stable it is (gyro) ...& a little bit of 'shifting' with the 4th channel.

& it is indeed able to fly outdoors, tried it on friday as it was particularly 'still'

looks like the one i linked to on Amazon has sold out ...the same models (5888) on fleabay tho' for the same price
Old 10 January 2011, 12:14 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Thats very stable. I had issues with getting a clean take off on my esky lama a) because its quite a bit bigger & more power so you always worry about crashing into furniture and b) quite a bit of wash bouncing off my lounge floors wasnt helping. Managing to keep it in the air very easily now.

Some of my landings leave a lot to be desired though lol - I always panick when getting near the roof and drop the power too much and it just falls. Key is to make small adjustments but easier said than done sometimes

Quick Reply: Minature rc helicopters ??