Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Is it just me or are there lots of cars with deffective lights out there?

Search this Thread

Old 07 December 2009, 09:33 AM
Simon C
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is it just me or are there lots of cars with deffective lights out there?

Its it just me or does everyone else keep seeing lots of cars with deffecitve lights?

Its not just rears either (which to be fair, you might not notice) but lots with headlights out. How can you not notice you have a head light out at night???
Old 07 December 2009, 09:36 AM
sarasquares
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The cars belong to the one eyed Eastern Europeans on their was back from Luton airport simon
Old 07 December 2009, 10:29 AM
Ray T
Scooby Regular

saying that, I saw a cop car driving away from an accident scene on the finchley road last night with absolutly no lights on! it does make you wonder about standards these days.
Old 07 December 2009, 10:36 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Its rife; seem people lack the ability or common sense to get them fixed.

Ok, on some cars the front bumper/headlamp need to be removed to gain access. But still, its not rocket science for anyone with a torx screwdriver and who built lego/meccano as a small child.

Personally, I think it should be like laws in many EU countries; its mandatory to carry spare bulbs.

I think an on the spot fine + defect notice (to be signed off by an MOT inspector after rectification) for a defective lamp and 1 point on the licence for failure to carry spares (HID bulbs excepted), may at least make some of the feejit population think twice. Speed cameras need to be reconfigured to photograph cars with defective lights too

Anyone driving on side lamps inthe dark instead of dipped head lamps needs to be banned. If someone can't work out how to use a simple switch, then what hope is there of operating the car as a whole?

Last edited by ALi-B; 07 December 2009 at 10:37 AM.
Old 07 December 2009, 10:37 AM
scarey
Scooby Regular

at work we hire VW Crafter vans from local company and they blow headlight bulbs for fun. On one occasion both bulbs blew! If all VWs do this would explain why so many headlights are out.
Old 07 December 2009, 10:41 AM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ALi-B

Anyone driving on side lamps inthe dark instead of dipped head lamps needs to be banned. If someone can't work out how to use a simple switch, then what hope is there of operating the car as a whole?
The same should apply to those driving with fog lamps instead of head.
Old 07 December 2009, 10:45 AM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

I've seen more cars with defective drivers to be honest..
Old 07 December 2009, 11:18 AM
sarasquares
Scooby Regular

If i got stopped with only one light i would tell the cop i was lowering my carbon footprint
Old 07 December 2009, 11:23 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Certainly do see more cars about with headlights not working these days. The other thing is that the dipped headlights seemed to be more dazzling as well. Some of those extra bright bulbs are a real nuisance.

Les
Old 07 December 2009, 11:32 AM
Simon C
Scooby Regular

Yup, missed that off as well Leslie, round me it seems to be badly alligned lights. The HIDS I meet seem fine, its the incadesants that have "problems".
Old 07 December 2009, 11:34 AM
sarasquares
Scooby Regular

I uses the non standard lights in my car as they look nice etc but they dont last as long as the proper bulbs. I have had a headlight bulb out before and not noticed until someone told me.
Old 07 December 2009, 11:37 AM
Simon C
Scooby Regular

Why does that not suprise me with you Sara
Old 07 December 2009, 11:39 AM
sarasquares
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Simon C
Why does that not suprise me with you Sara

Old 07 December 2009, 11:39 AM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

round me it seems to be badly alligned lights.
Likewise, drives me mad. Even in a 4x4 with a higher driving position, other vehicles' badly aligned lights dazzle me - either that or those who drive around with their adjustable lights in the high position. On motorways I end up having to have the mirror dipped almost constantly - don't get me started on Polish lorries.
Old 07 December 2009, 11:41 AM
sarasquares
Scooby Regular

I have just worked out why more people have missing lights on their cars...

You used to be able to buy bulbs, fan belts etc from petrol stations but all you can get from them now is shopping and ****
Old 07 December 2009, 11:48 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Yup, missed that off as well Leslie, round me it seems to be badly alligned lights. The HIDS I meet seem fine, its the incadesants that have "problems".

When I purchased my Golf, I noted headlamp alignment seemed rather high (HID). Seeing it was supposed to have been checked out by the main dealer who also freshly MOTd the week before, I figured they "should" be ok and legal.

But then I thought "hang on, this is a main dealer we're talking about". So did the wise thing and got it put on the beam tester at our garage. Sure enough they were all over the place, kick-up too far to the right and overall aim too high on both sides.

How hard is it to use a beam tester and adjust headlamp aim? I can do it....but a VW dealer can't
Old 07 December 2009, 11:59 AM
sarasquares
Scooby Regular

How hard is it to use a beam tester and adjust headlamp aim? I can do it....but a VW dealer can't
Do you just draw a line on the wall to test your aim. I am putting mine through an MOT today, how do i test the lights?

Obviously i know the line has to be a certain height.
Old 07 December 2009, 12:12 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Family garage: We have a proper Tecalemit beam aim tester at our disposal (used for MOT testing).

A nice MOT man won't charge you for adjusting them as it such a quick and simple job (unless the adjusters are broken), Although some will probably try it on, no doubt
Old 07 December 2009, 12:19 PM
sarasquares
Scooby Regular

Family garage: We have a proper Tecalemit beam aim tester at our disposal (used for MOT testing).

A nice MOT man won't charge you for adjusting them as it such a quick and simple job (unless the adjusters are broken), Although some will probably try it on, no doubt
Oh, i thought there was a line on the wall and that was how its done

I should be ok with my lights as i have only hit the corner of my front bumper this year
Old 07 December 2009, 12:31 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Ray T
saying that, I saw a cop car driving away from an accident scene on the finchley road last night with absolutly no lights on! it does make you wonder about standards these days.

I was once given a producer from some irate copper for having tinted rear lights, fair enough you might say, but the ****** had a headlight out when he stopped me
Old 07 December 2009, 12:32 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by sarasquares
Oh, i thought there was a line on the wall and that was how its done

I should be ok with my lights as i have only hit the corner of my front bumper this year
Truth be known, the beam tester is just a glorified lens with a plate at the back with some lines drawn on it.

The wall method can be done as long as its performed on level ground, but I haven't a clue what the measurements need to be.

Last edited by ALi-B; 07 December 2009 at 12:34 PM.
Old 07 December 2009, 12:54 PM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

I've always used our garage door.

Drive right up to it, stick dipped beam on, and reverse away slowly.

If the line created on the door by the light stays at the same height, or drops slightly, they're generally right enough to both pass an MOT and, more importantly, enable me to see where I'm gonig at night
Old 07 December 2009, 12:57 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by StickyMicky
I was once given a producer from some irate copper for having tinted rear lights, fair enough you might say, but the ****** had a headlight out when he stopped me
Same happened to me once, but when I pointed it out about his headlight he let me off with a warning!

Les
Old 07 December 2009, 12:57 PM
sarasquares
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by CrisPDuk
I've always used our garage door.

Drive right up to it, stick dipped beam on, and reverse away slowly.

If the line created on the door by the light stays at the same height, or drops slightly, they're generally right enough to both pass an MOT and, more importantly, enable me to see where I'm gonig at night
There could be a problem if you have too much or too little air in the tyres though
Old 07 December 2009, 01:09 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

it does make me wonder if it is not the standard of the roads, as i see a lot more now than 10 years ago. If i an not going over a speed hump there days i an driving into a pot hole
Old 17 February 2010, 09:28 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by sarasquares
I uses the non standard lights in my car as they look nice etc but they dont last as long as the proper bulbs. I have had a headlight bulb out before and not noticed until someone told me.
a few weeks ago i thought one of mine was blown as the lights were quite frankly crap!............oddly enough after washing the car a few days later my lights somehow seemed bright again!

I have a phantom brake light at the mo on my car, the bulb works when it feels like working.
Old 17 February 2010, 09:44 PM
Setright
Scooby Regular

It is quite worrying that these complaints are a worldwide thing...driving without lights...driving with the wrong lights on....drving with dipped AND fog...ARGH!

I reckon part of the reason people drive with blown bulbs is that they have gotten rather difficult to replace in so-called "modern" cars.

In my aging Impreza, it's a doddle....but have any of you tried replacing bulbs on say...a Vauxhall? Audi? VW? Skoda?

They make it a service item, and charge for it!
Old 17 February 2010, 09:55 PM
RA Dunk
Scooby Regular

Its rife; seem people lack the ability or common sense to get them fixed.

That's **** all, my sister has been driving for four years and cant even blow up her tires!<< and this is no joke either!

TBH I think the very basics of motoring for exmple tire pressures/all oil fluid levels/changing wheels should be covered during your driving test
Old 18 February 2010, 01:03 AM
scoobyvirgin
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RA Dunk
That's **** all, my sister has been driving for four years and cant even blow up her tires!<< and this is no joke either!

TBH I think the very basics of motoring for exmple tire pressures/all oil fluid levels/changing wheels should be covered during your driving test
Totally agree, how you can be let loose on the road, without the basics of these things is beyond me.

Quick Reply: Is it just me or are there lots of cars with deffective lights out there?