Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Hi you lot, i have just come in for a quickie ....

Search this Thread

Old 06 December 2009, 12:33 PM
sarasquares
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hi you lot, i have just come in for a quickie ....

I have bought a ceramic sink for my kitchen and need to decide on what taps to get. Firstly i need the mono type (single hole). I have seen the shower hose type ones and dont know if they are any good. Has anyone here got something similar?

Screwfix.com
Are they would be a pain in the bum or a good idea? They push back inside the hole of the tap

Anyone?

I have to buy some today before 4pm

Last edited by sarasquares; 06 December 2009 at 12:35 PM.
Old 06 December 2009, 12:46 PM
Xx-IAN-xX
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Remember that mono hole is not always the way

Every holes a goal
Old 06 December 2009, 12:55 PM
Jamie
Super Muppet

sorry sara i cant help you
Old 06 December 2009, 12:58 PM
pandyman
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by sarasquares
I have bought a ceramic sink for my kitchen and need to decide on what taps to get. Firstly i need the mono type (single hole). I have seen the shower hose type ones and dont know if they are any good. Has anyone here got something similar?

Screwfix.com
Are they would be a pain in the bum or a good idea? They push back inside the hole of the tap

Anyone?

I have to buy some today before 4pm
Hi Sara

I have fitted a couple of these types of taps and in my experience they do not seat very well when you push them back in the tap also they have a long lenght of shower hose that has to fit under the sink ie, within the back of the unit, this can prove difficult and they can get tangled up or prevent you fully utilising the space.

IMHO nice looks, gimmicky use, totally impractical (unless you want to wash your hair in the sink!-YUK)
Hope this helps
Andy
Old 06 December 2009, 01:27 PM
sarasquares
Scooby Regular

Hmnn i was hoping everyone thought it was a good idea lol.

I have just bought a ceramic sink and the workman at my house cut the tap hole on the wrong side meaning my drainer is on the left. All the new base units are now in place and the plumbing is in to receive the sink with a right hand drainer. I am now going to have to have a front overflow and another hole has to be made for the new tap hole. I have managed to get a stainless steel hole cover to cover the wrong tap hole. Ideally i would like a ceramic disc to cover the hole but thats another story!

For those that have been following my week from hell on facebook you know what i am talking about. I am running out of cash so i need a cheap tap but i want a nice looking one. I have been living in my front room for a week as i am having a total kitchen refit, electrics as well. I feel like i am roughing it in a refugee camp. The workman are Polish and Romanian etc. I am too scared to leave them in my house in case they eat my dogs

[IMG][/IMG]

The silver disc is plactic and may look ok when the crome waste and taps go in. If anyone can source me a thin ceramic disc i will be more than happy........i will reward you well :

Last edited by sarasquares; 06 December 2009 at 01:35 PM.
Old 06 December 2009, 01:35 PM
pandyman
Scooby Regular

Hmnn i was hoping everyone thought it was a good idea lol.

I have just bought a ceramic sink and the workman at my house cut the tap hole on the wrong side meaning my drainer is on the left. All the new base units are now in place and the plumbing is in to receive the sink with a right hand drainer. I am now going to have to have a front overflow and another hole has to be made for the new tap hole. I have managed to get a stainless steel hole cover to cover the wrong tap hole. Ideally i would like a ceramic disc to cover the hole but thats another story!

For those that have been following my week from hell on facebook you know what i am talking about. I am running out of cash so i need a cheap tap but i want a nice looking one. I have been living in my front room for a week as i am having a total kitchen refit, electrics as well. I feel like i am roughing it in a refugee camp. The workman are Polish and Romanian etc. I am too scared to leave them in my house in case they eat my dogs
Sara
Maybe i'm missing something here but.... if workman has dropped B*****k and cut hole in wrong side then said workman has to pay to put it right! thats the way it works when you hire proper english workmen anyway and not foreign nationals.

If you took your scoob to a subaru garage and they damaged it then you would definately expect them to repair/replace said damage at THEIR cost!

Simples!

Andy
PS just spotted that your also having the electrics done??
Please tell me you are having this done by proper qualified electricians trained in this country and legally able to carry out this work and not the foreign workmen?

Last edited by pandyman; 06 December 2009 at 01:38 PM.
Old 06 December 2009, 01:39 PM
SVXNUT
Scooby Regular

B and Q have some nice mono's for under £50. Just had a mixer fitted due to corrosion on one of the inlet pipes on the kitchen sink. stop gap measure as the whole kitchen in 30yrs old and need ripping out when I can find the money!!!.
Old 06 December 2009, 01:39 PM
sarasquares
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pandyman
Sara
Maybe i'm missing something here but.... if workman has dropped B*****k and cut hole in wrong side then said workman has to pay to put it right! thats the way it works when you hire proper english workmen anyway and not foreign nationals.

If you took your scoob to a subaru garage and they damaged it then you would definately expect them to repair/replace said damage at THEIR cost!

Simples!

Andy
Nope. I live in a council house and a project is being done where they renew the kitchens. I didn't want the standard stainless steel crap cheap sink(hard water problem) or paper thin lino and sh1tty white wall tiles so i bought my own stuff. I have been told that if they foof up it is at my own risk/cost.

So you see i am at their mercy

I cannot afford a proper person to do it for me and its nearly xmas.

I have no idea why they decided to do this project this close to xmas
Old 06 December 2009, 01:41 PM
sarasquares
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pandyman
Sara

Simples!

Andy
PS just spotted that your also having the electrics done??
Please tell me you are having this done by proper qualified electricians trained in this country and legally able to carry out this work and not the foreign workmen?

Lol, the only English person on the job is the Electrician

I was not happy with the electric work either

Last edited by sarasquares; 06 December 2009 at 01:44 PM.
Old 06 December 2009, 02:54 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

typical
Old 06 December 2009, 02:56 PM
mikef04
Scooby Regular

if that is the state of the electrics imho that is done wrong!! if the piece of trunking is covered the kitchen fitters risking fixing your new units to it. is the electrician qualified or a part p as there is about a 3 year difference in the qualifications!
Old 06 December 2009, 03:07 PM
mikef04
Scooby Regular

in reference to that picture i would suggest your electrician refers the his regs preferably bs7671:2008 page 100. and read the bit under 522.6.6 or look in his on site guide as there is a diagram showing permitted zones for cable runs and he has met neither, along with many other factors. many find knowing this sad but its my job, and there are many bodge it and leg its out there.
Old 06 December 2009, 04:50 PM
sarasquares
Scooby Regular

It gets worse. All the cabling was meant to be chased into the walls but look what they have done to the top of my walls FFS!

Dum.....

And dumber lol

Anyway, i have just got back with my new taps from B&Q

The plumber is a mechanic in his own country and i have to trust him to put another tap hole in my ceramic sink without making any more mistakes

The project manager is coming out tomorrow, should i have a word with him about the electrics?
Old 06 December 2009, 04:58 PM
fastmike
Scooby Regular

You have more rights than a private house owner/holder.... A council has a duty of care , threaten them with legal action
Old 06 December 2009, 05:08 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by SVXNUT
B and Q have some nice mono's for under £50. Just had a mixer fitted due to corrosion on one of the inlet pipes on the kitchen sink. stop gap measure as the whole kitchen in 30yrs old and need ripping out when I can find the money!!!.
Yes and iv actually just fitted that actual tap in the kitchen ( £50 one ), plastic plumbing re-used

jobs a goodun - well it hasnt leaked yet

nb had to bend the hot supplied pipe a bit and shear them down a couple centimetres

Last edited by dpb; 06 December 2009 at 05:16 PM.
Old 06 December 2009, 05:13 PM
sarasquares
Scooby Regular

Your right fastmike

I have been in tears this week, its been so distressing watching them bodge everything but as they speak no English i have been fighting a losing battle. The project manager wont know what hit him tomorrow lol.

I have bought my own flooring, expensive underlay and a membrane as the have leveled the concrete floor. They are trying to tell me i dont need the membrane They also tried to tell me they were going to lay the floor then put the base units on top. I have so far managed to make them put the units in first. Its a laminate floor. Tomorrow i have to make sure they use the plastic on the sub floor. Its laziness that making them try and cut corners but its my home and has been for a long time.

Only one piece of work surface arrived instead of three. Its hard to imagine what else can go wrong..........

The wall tiles go up this week. I am going to have to lay the tiles out in a certain way so they can put them up in the right order.They have slight variations on the pattern, bet that is going to be fun

Last edited by sarasquares; 06 December 2009 at 05:15 PM.
Old 06 December 2009, 05:25 PM
mikef04
Scooby Regular

i would definately mention the electrics, but the project manager will probably not kno his **** from elbow.
Old 06 December 2009, 05:33 PM
sarasquares
Scooby Regular

I asked him to tell me how many square feet my kitchen was so i could work out how many packs of flooring to get, he said he didnt know how to do it lol
Old 06 December 2009, 05:36 PM
Clarebabes
Scooby Regular

I asked him to tell me how many square feet my kitchen was so i could work out how many packs of flooring to get, he said he didnt know how to do it lol
Jesus H Christ Sara, get the **** out of there, it's gonna blow for deffo! What a plank!
Old 06 December 2009, 05:38 PM
mikef04
Scooby Regular

did he give an answer in metre's cubed lol
Old 06 December 2009, 05:56 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

unfortunately most councils use surface trunking for re wires and new central heating installations these, due to cost and time restrictions.
Old 06 December 2009, 05:57 PM
MMT WRX
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Clarebabes
Jesus H Christ Sara, get the **** out of there, it's gonna blow for deffo! What a plank!
Old 06 December 2009, 06:10 PM
sarasquares
Scooby Regular

he doesnt even own a tape measure

Do you have a spare room for rent?
Old 06 December 2009, 06:22 PM
Mark Mac
Scooby Regular

Hi Sara,
I have a Building Co. that mainly works for Insurance and loss adjusters.
First and foremost the "Spark" is breaking regs. running his cable horizontal when it is hidden. It could be drilled into at a later date,
The Apollo group are pretty large and will not want to jeopardize their contract with your council.
Stop the work immediately if your unhappy, contact your council and go as high as possible. Then the CAB. Inform the inspector when or if he arrives about the damage to your sink and the incorrect concealed wiring. Tell him sternly how far your willing to go to complain about the nightmare your having....
If your old floor has had quarry tiles down this was a DPC years ago and will require a membrane down or if the floor is damp..
Good Luck Chuck...
Any advise needed, PM me....
Old 06 December 2009, 06:34 PM
Clarebabes
Scooby Regular

he doesnt even own a tape measure

Do you have a spare room for rent?
I have a spare room, but my cat would take exception to your dogs
Old 06 December 2009, 06:46 PM
sarasquares
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mark Mac
Hi Sara,
I have a Building Co. that mainly works for Insurance and loss adjusters.
First and foremost the "Spark" is breaking regs. running his cable horizontal when it is hidden. It could be drilled into at a later date,
The Apollo group are pretty large and will not want to jeopardize their contract with your council.
Stop the work immediately if your unhappy, contact your council and go as high as possible. Then the CAB. Inform the inspector when or if he arrives about the damage to your sink and the incorrect concealed wiring. Tell him sternly how far your willing to go to complain about the nightmare your having....
If your old floor has had quarry tiles down this was a DPC years ago and will require a membrane down or if the floor is damp..
Good Luck Chuck...
Any advise needed, PM me....
My house is about 70 years old, just after the war so everything is old and out of date.

The floor is concrete and they have just leveled it so its a sub floor, if thats the right terminology. I previously had ceramic tiles down with laminate on top. All this has been removed so i know that the damp can rise. I have bought my own heavy duty membrane and am going to make sure they use it.

I was worried about the wiring because as you say, it could be drilled into. Another electrician from down the road came in and couldn't understand why the wiring along the top of the wall was left in view when all the rest was channeled in. Whilst the walls were being cut out for the wiring he didn't even shut the kitchen door. You can imagine the mess! My daughter is partially sighted and it has made her eyes really sore. They told me this work would last one day but it went on for three days.

The painter turned up to paint my bathroom (brick dust still in the air) and didnt rub down any woodwork or wipe pipes, he just painted over the top in gloss. The bathroom is next to the kitchen.

I will have to see what they say tomorrow and take it from there. Thanks for the heads up

As for the sink, because i bought my own stuff i was told that they would not be responsible to any damage that could happen so the back to front tap hole is down to me.

I have had to be a supervisor during the refit and have made myself a bit unpopular but as i have tried to tell them, it is my home and has been for nearly 20 years. My ex b/f is a carpenter but i off loaded him on holiday in September so i am fighting this battle single handedly
Old 06 December 2009, 06:47 PM
sarasquares
Scooby Regular

I have a spare room, but my cat would take exception to your dogs
The dogs are not a problem as the will fit into a pencil case lol
Old 06 December 2009, 07:37 PM
Mark Mac
Scooby Regular

Sara,
When one of my lads drop bollock, I have to do the customer relations thing. Now trust me on this, give me a snarling pit bull of a man any day of the week over a furious, pissed off woman.

Write down your woes, date them and get them in order. An irate, organized woman is even worst.
Stick to your guns at all cost, play on your daughters problems, the mess, disorganization and the ***** up they made of your sink.
If it were me on site I would bend over backwards to passify you, including changing the sink...
Be aggressively assertive and remember the calls to their masters, your council...and of course you have sought legal advice. you will talk to niceic about the poor electrical work and building control.....
With a bit of luck he will **** himself and sort out your mess....
Old 06 December 2009, 08:50 PM
sarasquares
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mark Mac
Sara,
When one of my lads drop bollock, I have to do the customer relations thing. Now trust me on this, give me a snarling pit bull of a man any day of the week over a furious, pissed off woman.

Write down your woes, date them and get them in order. An irate, organized woman is even worst.
Stick to your guns at all cost, play on your daughters problems, the mess, disorganization and the ***** up they made of your sink.
If it were me on site I would bend over backwards to passify you, including changing the sink...
Be aggressively assertive and remember the calls to their masters, your council...and of course you have sought legal advice. you will talk to niceic about the poor electrical work and building control.....
With a bit of luck he will **** himself and sort out your mess....
I already have a dossier in place lol. This started when they put a dent in my year old fridge freezer. And talking about my fridge, when they moved it they didnt take out the half can of coke and beans. The freezer is completely full and the fridge section is full of bottles of drinks so it weighs a top. They took it over a 9" step into my outhouse, what *****.

I let them know that my daughter is reg, disabled but they took no notice of this fact.
When my house was full of brick dust etc i asked if they could put me up in a hotel for the night for the sake of my daughters eyes. She has limited sight and i was worried that she would be further affected...not interested. They left me with no electricity for nearly 2 days and no heating for one night. I asked every day for them to turn up when my daughter had gone to school as any obstacles for her are dangerous but at 7.30 am they are here. I am not letting them in tomorrow until i am ready. My bathroom is downstairs so the last thing i want is to be getting out of the bath when strange foreign men are in my house and my daughter is about.

This last week has been a week from hell but tomorrow i am going to turn the tables. I was very down and didnt have the mental energy to do much about it but over the weekend i have picked up so god help them!

And to cap it all off, they provided me with 3 cardboard boxes to pack up my entire kitchen into! The didnt even provide tape for the boxes! Its been like living in a junk yard in my front room and my daughter has been confined to the settee as it was too unsafe for her to move around the room....cant wait to get on the phone tomorrow
Old 06 December 2009, 10:24 PM
Mark Mac
Scooby Regular

Sara,
I know this may sound drastic but refuse to let them in and call for a supervisor or higher management of the company. You have the power now. Enjoy.....

Quick Reply: Hi you lot, i have just come in for a quickie ....