Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Why doesn't the UK give out sentences like this?

Search this Thread

Old 04 December 2009, 06:26 PM
22BUK
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Why doesn't the UK give out sentences like this?

Jack Rhodes Gets 75 Years for Mugging 101-Year-Old Rose Morat

"NEW YORK (Dec. 3) -- A New York City man who mugged a 101-year-old woman on her way to church has been sentenced to 75 years in prison.

Queens resident Jack Rhodes was sentenced Wednesday after being convicted of mugging three women, including Rose Morat, who's now 103.

Authorities argued the 47-year-old Rhodes targeted two of the women because of their age, a violation of the state Hate Crimes Act. The law provides for harsher sentences.

A surveillance camera recorded the 2007 assault on Morat. It showed her using a walker to leave her apartment building when she was set upon.
Morat suffered a fractured cheekbone and bruises. Her attacker got away with $33."
Old 04 December 2009, 06:32 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why would we? we love our Crims! Infact we love them so much that over here in Northern Ireland we give them jobs that allow them to dictate how the country is run even down to the local policing issues.

God Bless The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland!
Old 04 December 2009, 06:44 PM
Quasi Modo
Scooby Regular

Because the people who make the laws might have to face them one day.
Personally, i think corporal/capital punishment is better. Gets rid of one problem and deters new ones.
Old 04 December 2009, 08:41 PM
The Dogs B******s
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Quasi Modo
Because the people who make the laws might have to face them one day.
Personally, i think corporal/capital punishment is better. Gets rid of one problem and deters new ones.
Totally agree

And to answer the original question,,,,,,,,,because this country is full of soft c*nts and do-gooders
Old 04 December 2009, 08:52 PM
Mifo
Scooby Regular

You wouldnt get that sentence here if you killed the people!

There is a scumbag in my town who burgled 12 houses recently and guess what his sentence was? 2 years suspended!!! Its just a joke here.

The do - gooders think by being nice to criminals and throwing benefits at them that they will turn into good law abiding people!
Old 04 December 2009, 09:16 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

I aways remember something that happened to 3 teenagers when I was living in america, they shifted a stop sign at a junction. It must of been for a pissed up laugh??? welll would you believe it there was a car pille up after the sign had been shifted and 3 people died! The three teenagers all got 15 years. Now you can't tell me that because they moved a sign it was thier fault 3 people died?! ne sign can't save lives??? America hands tough sentences out all the time, does it stop crime??? Does it stop drugs?? America hands out the death sentence and does that stop crime??? This country is mad on how it hands out a small sentence to people whom desperately need 100years behind bars but do we need the madness of america???
Old 04 December 2009, 09:24 PM
Quasi Modo
Scooby Regular

we've already got it mate, that's why the country's like it is.
Old 04 December 2009, 09:32 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

BBC News - Sex abuse church elder McConaghy 'too fat for jail'

Our justice system is AWESOME!
Old 04 December 2009, 09:37 PM
Clarebabes
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stevebt
I aways remember something that happened to 3 teenagers when I was living in america, they shifted a stop sign at a junction. It must of been for a pissed up laugh??? welll would you believe it there was a car pille up after the sign had been shifted and 3 people died! The three teenagers all got 15 years. Now you can't tell me that because they moved a sign it was thier fault 3 people died?! ne sign can't save lives??? America hands tough sentences out all the time, does it stop crime??? Does it stop drugs?? America hands out the death sentence and does that stop crime??? This country is mad on how it hands out a small sentence to people whom desperately need 100years behind bars but do we need the madness of america???
Yes, I agree, the American way is NOT the route to go down. It costs millions to keep crims in jail in this country, (probably less in the US cos they probably don't treat them so well.)

We have become soft in this country, but the hard line of America is not perfect. They have a high murder rate, so the death penalty is certainly no deterrent is it?
Old 05 December 2009, 02:43 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I think that he deserves a large sentence for what he did, shameful behaviour, and I also think that he should get a flogging on top of the prison sentence. Its the sort of thing that violent criminals should expect.

Well I have to say that the thought of a death sentence would go a very long way to deterring me from committing a murder. Luckily I don't think along such violent lines!

Mind you, who is to say the the murder rate would not go up if they abandoned the death penalty in the USA.

Les
Old 05 December 2009, 02:51 PM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

I don't think it matters what length of sentence is handed out in the UK - give 'em 75 years and they'll still be released after 7.5 weeks.
Old 05 December 2009, 04:23 PM
FlightMan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stevebt
So they shifted a STOP sign, and presumably someone ran the junction and got side swiped?

Now if the sign hadn't been moved, there is a possibility that the car would have stopped, not got hit, and three people wouldn't have died?

So yes, I think 15 years for 3 death, as a possible consequence of moving a STOP sign is a valid punishment.
Old 05 December 2009, 04:31 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ScoobyWon't
I don't think it matters what length of sentence is handed out in the UK - give 'em 75 years and they'll still be released after 7.5 weeks.
Yes thats right, means nothing to the crims now. What good will that sort of thing do?

Les