Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Paying your gas/electric bills...

Search this Thread

Old 29 November 2009, 12:12 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paying your gas/electric bills...

I'm currently with Southern Electric for my gas/electric and they have been pretty good (say the best out of a bad bunch). I'm currently on pre-payment meters as when I was unemployed I needed to know how much I was paying for everything (even though its more expensive overall ).

So I'm now in employment with a regular income (not a lot but I figure out my incomings/outgoings every month to the penny). Basically I'm torn between putting some ££ aside every week for either a quarterly bill or a set monthly direct debit.

Whats peoples opinions on saving money this way? I currently use about £15 gas a week and £10-15 electricity a week. Thermostat is set to 20degrees but the house is still usually cold (need insulation in roof and cavity wall insualtion bad ).

So would you go d/d or quarterly? 3 bedroomed mid terraced by the way
Old 29 November 2009, 12:28 PM
njkmrs
Scooby Regular

Well firstly I would say get the "Hell " off them pre-payment type metres .!!!!

You will be paying a lot more for your gas/electric on them .Much higher tariff cost per unit .
I understand why you where on them ,but it really is last resort for someone who really cant budget .Not really for someone who has little money .(no offence meant )

I pay Direct Debit each month and if I get in front by anything more than £100 or so I get them to put it back in my account .

In summer we get in front and in winter it catches back up ,but its better than getting a monster bill 2 or 3 times a year and shatting yourself !!!!

Get it changed ASAP .!!!!!
Old 29 November 2009, 12:43 PM
zs_phil
Scooby Regular

you can get cavity and loft insulation free if you get tax credits or any benefits i believe
i pay dd then i know i am not going to get any bills through the post
Old 29 November 2009, 01:01 PM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

Agree you need to get off that meter set up. We have (oh Christ I can't remember what it's called ) cheaper rate at night. ie, between 12 and 7am really cheap electricity. Put the washer on then etc, then head off to bed. Saves loads
We are with Scottish Power and are more than happy with them. Pay DD and never worry when the bill comes in.

Living out in the sticks, we have no gas and are contemplating changing our heating system over to electricity from oil. The oil is costing an arm and a leg and does not look like getting cheaper, infact the opposite

This might help you
Government Grants. Apply here for loft insulation grants, cavity wall insulation grants and central heating grants
Old 29 November 2009, 01:29 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the info guys - seems meters are hated with a vengeance on here

I'll be on the phone to Southern Electric this week to see about changing over. Hopefully they won't charge me for the pelasure or I'll look at alternative suppliers

I did (whilst unemployed) ring the local council up with regards to cavity wall insulation. They sent out the relevant forms and I sent them back filled in full. Nothing ever came of it and I had one or two other things on my mind (e.g. slaving off bankrupcy) at the time so forgot.

I'll look into the link Lee, cheers
Old 29 November 2009, 01:30 PM
Jamescsti
Scooby Regular

I pay direct debit for both with N-Power, seems to be cheapest for me on comparison websites, i'm always in credit, somewhat suprisingly they have reduced my monthly bill for beeing with them over 12 months, save about £5 per month
Old 29 November 2009, 01:32 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Personally I try and steer clear of DD’s as much as possible

For electricity and BT I do pay a “penalty” or more accurately forfeit the “pay by DD discount” but I make sure I only pay right at the last minute (and I mean right at the last minute) —every time, on the basis that I would rather have the money in my bank account and under my control for as long as possible

But that’s just me

(obviously get of pre-payment asap)

Last edited by hodgy0_2; 29 November 2009 at 01:36 PM.
Old 29 November 2009, 01:37 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Infact I've just filled the form out now and should hopefully get a call about a grant. Only thing being is if I had to pay a large % towards it as I don't have savings. I'll wait and see if these guys actually call me as I qualify through working tax credit and maybe IIDB
Old 29 November 2009, 02:09 PM
michaelro
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chocolate_o_brian
Whats peoples opinions on saving money this way? I currently use about £15 gas a week and £10-15 electricity a week.
That's quite a lot for a 2 person household considering you're probably not in the house during the day.

We are with Scottish Power online fixed rate till March 2011, which we fixed before the prices rises last year.

£55 a month covers both Gas & Electric and my wife's in most days with 2 kids so plenty of washing, hot water etc

I enter our meter readings on-line every couple of months and can see how much I'm using and how it compares over christmas / summer etc - Quite handy.
Old 29 November 2009, 02:25 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by michaelro
That's quite a lot for a 2 person household considering you're probably not in the house during the day.

We are with Scottish Power online fixed rate till March 2011, which we fixed before the prices rises last year.

£55 a month covers both Gas & Electric and my wife's in most days with 2 kids so plenty of washing, hot water etc

I enter our meter readings on-line every couple of months and can see how much I'm using and how it compares over christmas / summer etc - Quite handy.

I know its quite a lot isn't it That and the house still isn't very warm. The boiler I've got isn't a combi type but it's that old and was fixed last year. Think my radiators have a lot to answer for but I don't have the ££ to replace them. That mixed with the higher costs of payment meters and a probable lack of insulation certainly aren't helping my situation. It's all money I haven't and won't have for about 9 months at least until I earn more on my apprenticeship, so I make the best of what I can currently - hence the original question
Old 29 November 2009, 02:32 PM
Dedrater
Scooby Regular

Funny enough I read this yesterday..

Big energy firms accused of overcharging pre-pay meter customers | Money | guardian.co.uk

In September, Ofgem imposed a limit of £88 a year on the differential following an investigation into whether pre-pay customers were being penalised
So in theory, one should only be paying an additional £88 a year for using prepay meters, not sure how you would prove this?

Try..

energyhelpline.com - Switch and save on gas and electricity bills - impartial and free!
Old 29 November 2009, 02:34 PM
Dedrater
Scooby Regular

Funny enough I read this yesterday..

Big energy firms accused of overcharging pre-pay meter customers | Money | guardian.co.uk

In September, Ofgem imposed a limit of £88 a year on the differential following an investigation into whether pre-pay customers were being penalised
So in theory, one should only be paying an additional £88 a year for using prepay meters, not sure how you would prove this?

Try..

energyhelpline.com - Switch and save on gas and electricity bills - impartial and free!
Old 29 November 2009, 02:56 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

So good you posted it twice

To be fair I'm happy with Southern Electric as I get a very cheap phone line with them too. I just wanna save money on either a D/D or quarterly bill now I'm in a better financial state to say well I can put so much away every week and wait for the bill D/D to come out.

Every little helps so they say, and this is one of the things I'm looking to save ££ on.
Old 29 November 2009, 05:20 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2
but I make sure I only pay right at the last minute (and I mean right at the last minute) —every time, on the basis that I would rather have the money in my bank account and under my control for as long as possible
Which of course only benefits you the very first time you do it. After that you pay the same time as everyone else.

Chip