Skype Question/s

Search this Thread

Old 05 November 2009, 10:10 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Skype Question/s

I've set up Skype but I'm not very good at it

1) Now if someone wants to phone me using their Skype set-up how do I know when they are calling me? I have PC sound on and I want to be alerted when a caller is trying to connect.

2) I have stored a few numbers but I find that quite often Skype seems to dial the wrong number out. Does this happen to you?

3) Do you get silly messages from people who seem to be able to add their number to my directory?

Thanks, dl
Old 05 November 2009, 10:21 AM
Agent_Smith
BANNED

YouTube - How To Install and Use Skype Free Internet Phone
Old 05 November 2009, 10:38 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Many thanks for that BUT.........

It doesn't answer any of the questions I asked and the presentation itself is about the most irritating I have ever heard.

Sorry!

David
Old 05 November 2009, 10:40 AM
Agent_Smith
BANNED

OK, what about

YouTube - How to use Skype

This Brothers very good
Old 05 November 2009, 10:54 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Agent_Smith
OK, what about

YouTube - How to use Skype

This Brothers very good
You will be taking me of your Christmas card list

I KNOW how to set it up but it's answers to my questions that I need. Surely there are hundreds of SN peeps that use it??

David
Old 05 November 2009, 11:21 AM
Freelance Badger
Scooby Regular

Never had my Mac dialing the wrong number. I don't have lots of unknown people trying to contact me - check your settings so that only people in your contact list can contact you.
Old 05 November 2009, 11:29 AM
Sosbanite
Scooby Regular

I have to hold my hand up as a Skype fanboy!

1) You get a "ring" tone over your audio - it may come through your headset depending on your audio config and a pop up on screen telling you who is calling and giving options to accept or reject.

2) I presume that you are referring to Skype out? I.e. calling landlines from Skype. I don't get this but when you are entering the number to store it there will be a country code option and flag alongside the number which IIRC defaults to the USA - 001. You need to enter the full number c/w dial code and also select the UK country option to store the number correctly if you are not already doing this. Otherwise it all goes Pete Tong!!!

3) Yep, Skype spam with **** links etc is becoming as pervasive as e-mail spam. Look at your privacy settings in tools/options but IIRC this is not totally effective and you have to keep adding to blocked senders.

HTH!
Old 05 November 2009, 12:07 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Sosbanite
I have to hold my hand up as a Skype fanboy!

1) You get a "ring" tone over your audio - it may come through your headset depending on your audio config and a pop up on screen telling you who is calling and giving options to accept or reject.

2) I presume that you are referring to Skype out? I.e. calling landlines from Skype. I don't get this but when you are entering the number to store it there will be a country code option and flag alongside the number which IIRC defaults to the USA - 001. You need to enter the full number c/w dial code and also select the UK country option to store the number correctly if you are not already doing this. Otherwise it all goes Pete Tong!!!

3) Yep, Skype spam with **** links etc is becoming as pervasive as e-mail spam. Look at your privacy settings in tools/options but IIRC this is not totally effective and you have to keep adding to blocked senders.

HTH!
Thanks - yes that does help. I got my PC whizz-kid mate to call me on Skype but I didn't get any sort of sound when he called which is my main gripe. I think I may have ticked a wrong box in Tools so I'll revisit that. I am wondering if I can use my other house phone to call and test?

When my boy was in Los Angeles I used an international code but he is now in Dublin and I don't seem to need a code so that seems a mystery still.

The dodgy mails are just a nuisance but since my kids use the PC as well I don't know whether it's a legitimate address/number they have added or some 55-year old Russian mother of 10 who wants to be "friends"

Onwards and upwards

David
Old 05 November 2009, 12:19 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by David Lock
Thanks - yes that does help. I got my PC whizz-kid mate to call me on Skype but I didn't get any sort of sound when he called which is my main gripe. I think I may have ticked a wrong box in Tools so I'll revisit that. I am wondering if I can use my other house phone to call and test?

When my boy was in Los Angeles I used an international code but he is now in Dublin and I don't seem to need a code so that seems a mystery still.

The dodgy mails are just a nuisance but since my kids use the PC as well I don't know whether it's a legitimate address/number they have added or some 55-year old Russian mother of 10 who wants to be "friends"

Onwards and upwards

David
David,

In the Skype options there are settings for sounds on various alerts and for some reason some Skype installations have the incoming call sound turned off by default. Check that and tick it if it isn't already.

As for unwanted conversations set your profile to private and you should be OK. I get no unwanted callers etc.
Old 05 November 2009, 02:59 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Many thanks for that

I think I am nearly there. I have changed some settings - I just need to think of a way of testing it!!

David
Old 05 November 2009, 03:02 PM
Agent_Smith
BANNED

Here you go

YouTube - Skype test call Sparta Remix
Old 05 November 2009, 03:35 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Agent_Smith