Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Skype Questions

Search this Thread

Old 24 April 2009, 05:41 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Skype Questions

This summer our daughter is traipsing around S America and our son is on a coach touring the USA with a band for several weeks. Both will have mobiles but no real access to a landline.

Would Skype be the answer for cheap communication?

I read some stuff on Skype and I understand both parties have to register a Skype account although I think this is free.

Say I am the main party A. I plug a mike into my PC and off I go. But does other party, e.g. daughter in jungle, have to have a computer or can I just call direct to her mobile on the cheap. Could she call me?

What else should I be asking? What's the catch

TIA, David
Old 24 April 2009, 06:42 PM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

Skype to Skype is totally free, if you want to call a mobile or landline from a Skype phone then you need to buy credits. i'm sure you can actually get a Skype mobile now.

I'm surprised it hasn't caught on more.
Old 24 April 2009, 07:37 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Thanks but I thought call had to be made through a computer as Internet was used???? David
Old 24 April 2009, 07:53 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Skype uses packet switching (data) whilst voice uses normal switching (set 64kb slot).
Still its not as good as voice switched systems (as long as they are decent digital switches) and they will incure roaming fee's if they use data, but most networks wont use skype for a few reasons, 1. skype dont pay the networks anything, so its a free ride (not good if everyone used skype as it would bankrupt the networks and you wouldnt have any communications). 2. the quality varies drastically, it takes more bandwidth than a normal voice call, which means that it uses the battery up faster on the phone
3. You can talk to a skype mobile from your pc, BUT if you go skype from your pc to a normal mobile it will be billed.

Unfortunately there is no cheap way around it, good side though is that the coverage in some south american countries is pretty good

Tony
Old 24 April 2009, 08:45 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

I have a Skype-in number, it's £30 a year for a UK number that people can call that will call Skype on my Laptop wherever I am in the world. It comes with voicemail included in the price so I can pick up messages when my laptop is not turned on. Calls from my Laptop to landlines are very inexpensive and Skype to Skype calls are free.

It's an excellent service.
Old 26 April 2009, 10:47 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

OK guys - thanks although there does seem to be some contradictory information

So breaking this down to reality!

1) My daughter in South America will not have Internet access but she should be able to find an Internet cafe in major towns where she could log on and call me through Skype at a pre-agreed time. Do most Internet cafe PCs come with headphones and mike?

2) If I call her mobile at other times through Skype at UK end there is still a cost but this is much lower than a completely non-Skype call. Is this true and how much roughly is the saving? But I need to buy credits from Skype but can phone provider just add this to monthly bill?

3) My son will be on a fancy tour bus and I understand this has an Internet facility so this should be OK. Do you agree?

4) Do kids actually need their mobiles once they are registered with Skype (daughter is worried about phone being nicked in some SA dive)

5) I understand that if I get a call there is an alert on my screen. Can I get some device that will provide an audible signal as well? Can caller leave a message e.g. "where are you - will call again 10.00 pm your time"?

Thanks chaps, David
Old 26 April 2009, 11:22 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by David Lock

1) My daughter in South America will not have Internet access but she should be able to find an Internet cafe in major towns where she could log on and call me through Skype at a pre-agreed time. Do most Internet cafe PCs come with headphones and mike?
I would say yes, even the small towns here in Argentina have Cafe's with Skype, MSN and headphone/mikes.

2) If I call her mobile at other times through Skype at UK end there is still a cost but this is much lower than a completely non-Skype call. Is this true and how much roughly is the saving? But I need to buy credits from Skype but can phone provider just add this to monthly bill?
If you call her the cost is no different from calling when she is in the UK. Mobile to Mobile is often free on contract. Prices for Skype to mobile calls on on their website.

3) My son will be on a fancy tour bus and I understand this has an Internet facility so this should be OK. Do you agree?
Should be.

4) Do kids actually need their mobiles once they are registered with Skype (daughter is worried about phone being nicked in some SA dive)
Mobiles are cheap.

5) I understand that if I get a call there is an alert on my screen. Can I get some device that will provide an audible signal as well? Can caller leave a message e.g. "where are you - will call again 10.00 pm your time"?
It rings like a phone if your PC has speakers, if you want voicemail you can pay for it, price on Skype official website ? download Skype free now for free calls and internet calls
Old 26 April 2009, 12:09 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Appreciate that Jack - thanks a million

David
Old 27 April 2009, 12:06 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Well just to complete this thread, especially for those thinking about registering with Skype.

Well despite the gloom merchants I persevered and registered with Skype (completely free) and gave them a card number for £10 credit to cover any calls to non-Skype phones. You choose a sensible user name e.g. David Lock and then choose your own unique "Skype name" which people would hopefully recognise. Others can easily search the contact database to find your number. My PC already had decent sound connections so I bought a stand-on-desk mike (£9.50) which I prefer to headphones with mike as they make me feel like a telesales person

So I called my daughter in Cornwall on her non-Skype mobile as a test and all went well. I then called my son who is currently in Los Angeles and that worked as well and the sound quality was terrific. According to Skype's comprehensive call charges sheet the USA call cost me 1.2 pence per minute which strikes me a fecking bargain

So all in all very worth while and I would strongly recommend it. No doubt I will come across some problems and am just hoping it works well for calls to South America when my daughter travels there next month.

David