Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Taking stuff back to the shop

Search this Thread

Old 18 October 2009, 11:22 PM
LeeMac
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Taking stuff back to the shop

Needed more tiles for the bathroom and seen a box of tiles in homebase on offer due to not being a full pack £4 instead of £9 so got em

a few days later I opened em to find every tile was broken so while out and about bought another box from a different store, opened em and most of which were broke so decided to take em both back

swapped the full pack no problem but not the £4 pack
the woman said that it had on the price they were damaged, it actually had incomplete/damaged

I said they were £4 cos its an incomplete box
she said no, its because they are damaged!!!

Who the **** buys damaged tiles?
She said people do

I left them there anyway, and she wasnt happy about that, saying i'm not sure I can deal with them!!

In their training, is there a bit that says 'be awkward at every possible opportunity'
Old 19 October 2009, 12:32 AM
Lisawrx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not completely sure on this, but I would have thought selling a box of broken tiles would contravene retail law. I mean anything a shop sells has to still be fit for purpose (and safe I believe), broken tiles aren't. Might be different if they were just scratched or had small chips, but not totally broken.

It may only have been a small amount of money, but on principle, if you are not satisfied to put it down to experience, then complain to someone higher up.

As I say, I'm not sure, but as per my basic retail law tests at work, The Sale of Goods Act says that goods must be fit for purpose, which these weren't. Even if it is allowed to sell broken tiles, it should have that stated on the damaged sticker (if not then the product is also not 'as described'). If it wasn't clear then if you still had a reciept, you should have still been entitled to a refund , I would have thought. Out of curiosity, did it have a sticker on that said what the damage was for you to point out her to? If so, what did it say?
Old 19 October 2009, 12:49 AM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

People will often buy broken tiles to use in a mosaic. If the description said "incomplete/damaged" then either condition, or even both should have been expected and should prompt you to inspect them before purchase to assess their suitability for your specific application. I would always inspect any product sold in opened packaging, especially when clearly labelled as not perfect.