Old 05 October 2009, 06:20 PM
yoza
BANNED

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where is the line ?

You can throw obscenities at gays.

You can make racist comments.

You can lable gypsies thieving scum.

You can call all scousers jobless thieves.

All un-opposed by admin.

Now then, somebody has just called a guy applieing of a post with the Police, a Pig.

It was deleted, within 5 mins, now I dont like with the term, but neither do I agree with any of the above, but they have been left there.

So whats the deal ?
Old 05 October 2009, 06:23 PM
Dan Gleebits
Scooby Regular

Location: in a place where there lots of rocks to chuck at feejits

about a fiver an eight'h isnt it?
Old 05 October 2009, 06:28 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thats the idea though Yoza, really dodgy stuff gets vaped by our vigilant mods and anything else we are able to comment on and hopefully change someones opinion.
Old 05 October 2009, 06:58 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Firstly, being pedantic, this should be in policy as it's a policy question

Secondly, I'll be a man and fess up to this one rather than hide and say "it could be because...". I reported the post using the button for that purpose. It was because I did not think it contributed anything positive to the thread. If I recall there was no smiley indicating it was a joke, so I didn't read it as such.

Due to the post being reported I would thus assume one of the mods deleted it as per my request.

As for why other threads/comments are allowed to stand, well, perhaps people are not using the report button to report said threads/comments asking for their deletion.
Old 05 October 2009, 06:59 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by yoza

that is technically true though
Old 05 October 2009, 07:00 PM
Janspeed
Scooby Regular

If those things were the only problems..............
Old 05 October 2009, 07:06 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by yoza
You can throw obscenities at gays.

You can lable gypsies thieving scum.

WELL, the first two are your God given right and the second two are just factual!
Old 05 October 2009, 07:07 PM
yoza
BANNED

Originally Posted by Markus
Firstly, being pedantic, this should be in policy as it's a policy question

Secondly, I'll be a man and fess up to this one rather than hide and say "it could be because...". I reported the post using the button for that purpose. It was because I did not think it contributed anything positive to the thread. If I recall there was no smiley indicating it was a joke, so I didn't read it as such.

Due to the post being reported I would thus assume one of the mods deleted it as per my request.

As for why other threads/comments are allowed to stand, well, perhaps people are not using the report button to report said threads/comments asking for their deletion.
So if someone calls a Police worker a Pig, you report it, fair enough, but dont you see that by reporting it and getting a deletion you whitewash the problem.

If someone is a racist, I would like to know he/she is a racist, so I can choose to either avoid him/her or try to educate him/her, that goes for homophobes, gypsie haters. scouse haters,cyclist haters and so it goes on...

I assume you have read and not reported all the other above posts, Pikies/Scousers/gays/racists/cyclists etc, so your OK with them ?
Old 05 October 2009, 07:15 PM
Timwinner
Scooby Regular

I asked the same question the other week in a different context. If there are rules they should be proper rules and not something that can be subjective.

What one mod thinks is ok another wont and that why there is no consistency on here at the moment.
Old 05 October 2009, 07:19 PM
zeuss
Scooby Regular

and the guy was a girl lol and i wondered that post had gone i got it in my email lol
Old 05 October 2009, 07:19 PM
yoza
BANNED

Originally Posted by Timwinner
I asked the same question the other week in a different context. If there are rules they should be proper rules and not something that can be subjective.

What one mod thinks is ok another wont and that why there is no consistency on here at the moment.
I think if its reported, the mods have to act on it, Markus reported it, so there you go.

Just look at the posts above, they could all be removed, no smilies, no winks, but I dont press buttons...
Old 05 October 2009, 07:22 PM
Lisawrx

I didn't delete the comment, but in fairness, each mod has different ways of dealing with comments on here. It was obviously agreed that the comment added nothing to the thread, in which a member was simply asking for some advice.

As for threads about other topics such as you have mentioned Yoza, I guess it does depend on if comments get reported, whether a mod happens to see it, and again what mod does, and their approach.

I know some members won't agree with my approach, but generally I'll be more tempted to leave certain comments/discussions. Not because what is said is always very nice, but I think it is better to allow a bit discussion, and maybe I live in hope that some people can open the eyes of ignorant people. Sometimes it is better to leave stuff so others can see the sort of people, some are on here. It depends on what is going on to a point, as some discussions are just that, and everyone has a different outlook on things, I wish people could manage to have a discussion without being outright unpleasant though.

I was personally a bit pissed off by some of the comments on the fat thread (although we all have ourselves to blame blah blah blah), but I didn't delete anything from there/the whole thread, so I'm certainly not biased about what bothers me.

Moderating can be difficult, as if you leave things and allow discussion to go ahead (which often leads to unsavoury comments usually by a minority) people complain you are leaving offensive stuff on the board, delete that same stuff, and you get cries of over zealous moderating and supressing of free speech.
Old 05 October 2009, 07:32 PM
yoza
BANNED

Originally Posted by Lisawrx
I didn't delete the comment, but in fairness, each mod has different ways of dealing with comments on here. It was obviously agreed that the comment added nothing to the thread, in which a member was simply asking for some advice.

As for threads about other topics such as you have mentioned Yoza, I guess it does depend on if comments get reported, whether a mod happens to see it, and again what mod does, and their approach.

I know some members won't agree with my approach, but generally I'll be more tempted to leave certain comments/discussions. Not because what is said is always very nice, but I think it is better to allow a bit discussion, and maybe I live in hope that some people can open the eyes of ignorant people. Sometimes it is better to leave stuff so others can see the sort of people, some are on here. It depends on what is going on to a point, as some discussions are just that, and everyone has a different outlook on things, I wish people could manage to have a discussion without being outright unpleasant though.

I was personally a bit pissed off by some of the comments on the fat thread (although we all have ourselves to blame blah blah blah), but I didn't delete anything from there/the whole thread, so I'm certainly not biased about what bothers me.

Moderating can be difficult, as if you leave things and allow discussion to go ahead (which often leads to unsavoury comments usually by a minority) people complain you are leaving offensive stuff on the board, delete that same stuff, and you get cries of over zealous moderating and supressing of free speech.
I agree, I would rather leave the statements.

" All fat people are paedophiles " is a good example, so we can then make a judgement on the person at his next post, and if the post persist, you know what type of person the poster is.
Old 05 October 2009, 07:34 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

you can throw obscenities at gays.

You can label gypsies thieving scum.

Isn't this a Monty Python song
Old 05 October 2009, 07:47 PM
my06 ppp silver
Scooby Regular

Gary Glitter is not fat, neither was Jacko ( not proven but come on!!)
Cherie Blair, Anne Robinson,Stevie G, Jamie Carragher, Paul McCartney etc. etc. (the list is endless) all have jobs. Granted, no one trusts a gypsy though. (or a copper)lol.
Old 05 October 2009, 08:04 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Correct, I have not read and reported all the other posts, it doesn't mean I do or don't agree with them, it means in those instances, for whatever reason I decided not to report said posts.

I'm going to be blunt here. I am wondering if you aren't just on a wind up about the "nice pikey" thing. You'll note I said Pikey and NOT Gypsy. As mentioned on that thread, I do see a difference between the two, and again, being blunt, I have never met a nice pikey, perhaps there are some, but the ones I've had the misfortune to encounter, well, I'd have no qualms in seeing them removed from the gene pool. Gypsy's, again as mentioned, I have met a couple and they were friendly and pleasant and again, as said, I do differentiate between them.

Back in the day, Pikey was a naughty word on here and threads would vanish if the word was mentioned. I always wondered why, perhaps the "smiff clan" was on SN and got all offended and requested the threads removal because it was insinuating the lovely tarmacers were all smelly dirty thieves. Or was it perhaps because someone, yourself I now wonder, who reported said threads, claiming they were unfair/racist/discriminatory and action would be taking if they were not removed, this was heeded and they were removed.

You seem to interchange Pikey/Gypsy quite freely, hence why I wonder if you're just trying to wind people up, trolling in other words. Quite why, well, I don't know. Not wishing to be rude, but are you or close family members actually Gypsy's, hence why you seem to get so offended by people assuming they are synonymous with pikeys, and thus tarring you with the same brush?
Old 05 October 2009, 08:35 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

surely the point is blacks, gays, asians, scousers, gypsies, muslims, arabs all have one thing in common --- they are what they are, they have no choice about it (muslims mute point), whether they like it or not -- but they all seem fair game on Snet

that is why the FAT thread was quite sureal because presumably (big bones and thyroid problems aside) it is a lifestyle choice -- but it seemed to generate quite a lot of "heat"
Old 05 October 2009, 08:41 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

i think Markus has got himself a wee nail and tapped it straight in.
Old 05 October 2009, 08:53 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

It was only a joke. Maybe if I'd put a on the end, my post would still be there.

The mods should know me by now. Nearly 7000 posts.
Old 05 October 2009, 08:56 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

smileys on posts are like subtitles for the hard of common sense
Old 05 October 2009, 09:04 PM
Lisawrx

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2
surely the point is blacks, gays, asians, scousers, gypsies, muslims, arabs all have one thing in common --- they are what they are, they have no choice about it (muslims mute point), whether they like it or not -- but they all seem fair game on Snet

that is why the FAT thread was quite sureal because presumably (big bones and thyroid problems aside) it is a lifestyle choice -- but it seemed to generate quite a lot of "heat"
If you actually read it properly, you will find if you take out insults/or general **** taking and banter, it really didn't generate that much actual 'heat' or discussion.

Other people that discussions sometimes revolve around, or get onto, yes are fair game to some (possibly the same people who will jump on anyone else that doesn't fit in their ideal world), but equally in those threads you will find not everyone thinks that way, and people myself at times included will also speak out at certain comments made.

Regardless of the fact you started that thread to 'make a point', it was childish knowing full well how some people would react (and obviously not caring about how other people may feel), and fault or not regarding your target group, you pretty much made yourself as bad as the people you are complaining about.
Old 05 October 2009, 09:14 PM
yoza
BANNED

Originally Posted by Markus
Correct, I have not read and reported all the other posts, it doesn't mean I do or don't agree with them, it means in those instances, for whatever reason I decided not to report said posts.

I'm going to be blunt here. I am wondering if you aren't just on a wind up about the "nice pikey" thing. You'll note I said Pikey and NOT Gypsy. As mentioned on that thread, I do see a difference between the two, and again, being blunt, I have never met a nice pikey, perhaps there are some, but the ones I've had the misfortune to encounter, well, I'd have no qualms in seeing them removed from the gene pool. Gypsy's, again as mentioned, I have met a couple and they were friendly and pleasant and again, as said, I do differentiate between them.

Back in the day, Pikey was a naughty word on here and threads would vanish if the word was mentioned. I always wondered why, perhaps the "smiff clan" was on SN and got all offended and requested the threads removal because it was insinuating the lovely tarmacers were all smelly dirty thieves. Or was it perhaps because someone, yourself I now wonder, who reported said threads, claiming they were unfair/racist/discriminatory and action would be taking if they were not removed, this was heeded and they were removed.

You seem to interchange Pikey/Gypsy quite freely, hence why I wonder if you're just trying to wind people up, trolling in other words. Quite why, well, I don't know. Not wishing to be rude, but are you or close family members actually Gypsy's, hence why you seem to get so offended by people assuming they are synonymous with pikeys, and thus tarring you with the same brush?
Like Ive said a number of times, Ive never reported a thread, not my style,

As for the rest of your post...LOL
Old 05 October 2009, 09:19 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Lisawrx

Regardless of the fact you started that thread to 'make a point', it was childish.
in the grand scheme of things i'll take childish
Old 05 October 2009, 11:02 PM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

I'm happy to admit I'm a cop.

Every PM I've ever received on the subject has always been positive and those that weren't saying they support the police were asking for help or advice - and plenty on how to join the police.

I've had people make "Pig" comments and noises in the street, but I simply ignore them.

But as for the racism etc, there really is no need for that as most people on here, at least, claim to be intelligent (though sometimes, it's sad to admit, I doubt it).

Last edited by ScoobyWon't; 05 October 2009 at 11:03 PM.
Old 06 October 2009, 08:47 AM
Trout
Scooby Regular

That is the sad bit as there are intelligent people on here making very bold statements that racism does not exist!

In the same way that the defenders of liberalism get branded as PC nancy boys - or whatever the insult du jour is.

I think that posts like the one vaped should stand to demonstrate the (pig) ignorance of the poster then it is there for us all to see.

Personally I am with Yoza - I believe there is a line that a number of this BBS cross with impunity and it is part of the diversity of life and it allows us to see true nature out in the open. There are posters on here whose reactionary, or indeed blatant racism deeply offends me; probably in equal measure to how my liberalism offends them.

So let them post, let us debate where the line is and leave it at that.
Old 06 October 2009, 09:15 AM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Trout
I think that posts like the one vaped should stand to demonstrate the (pig) ignorance of the poster then it is there for us all to see.
Turn it in Fish Face. I've stated it was a joke. Anyone reading it would have realised it was a joke. Only the few who choose to be offended (such as yourself) are using it as a tool to have a dig.

Grow up.
Old 06 October 2009, 09:46 AM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Just to clarify, I am not offended but I do think it is offensive. I personally have nothing to gain or lose by the use of derogatory language regarding the police.

The ignorance comes from the belief that the use of derogatory language is somehow less offensive if it is a joke. In my model of the world it is the use of such 'humour' that is the base for the most insidious forms of discrimination as humour seeks to make inclusive something that is intrinsically exclusive.

As for growing up - well at least by my measure - feeling the need to make 'pig' jokes is something most children grow out of at the end of puberty. Clearly not in all cases.
Old 06 October 2009, 10:26 AM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

i was quite hurt by the fat comments. happy and jolly on the outside but i cried on the inside. just wish i could stop eating.
Old 06 October 2009, 10:32 AM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

like yoza reporting posts is not my style. i just ignore the comments. i did get banned for a month from cable forum for calling Jacko a peadophillic ****. chamone. apart from that i wouldn't call my self racist. some of my best mates are micks, coons, *******, whops, deigos, spiks, kikes, paddys, scousers, gayers, lezzers, spooks, flids, spakkers etc etc ad infinitum
Old 06 October 2009, 10:42 AM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bigsinky
like yoza reporting posts is not my style. i just ignore the comments. i did get banned for a month from cable forum for calling Jacko a peadophillic ****. chamone. apart from that i wouldn't call my self racist. some of my best mates are micks, coons, *******, whops, deigos, spiks, kikes, paddys, scousers, gayers, lezzers, spooks, flids, spakkers etc etc ad infinitum
At least you aren't best mates with any PIG's

Quick Reply: Where is the line ?