Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

help applying to the police

Search this Thread

Old 05 October 2009, 01:51 PM
zeuss
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help applying to the police

Im applying for a job within Manchester Police for the position of Enquiry Counter Officer upon getting the application form this morning two questions that they are asking I have no idea what to put. Its in two parts Behavioral competencies, and I have to provide evidence of the following :

1) effective communication / negotiating and influencing skills

2) respect for race and diversity

any advice (serious only please) as to what kind of things they would be looking for in each of these categories

cheers
Old 05 October 2009, 02:07 PM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1) effective communication / negotiating and influencing skills:

- When have youy spoken with people and won them round to your way of thinking?
- What acheivements have you made, with others were helping you even when they didn't want to?
- When have you got people talking together, even when they didn't want to?

- When should you be respectful for race and diversity and when shouldn't you?
- How do you tell the difference between someone being genuinely hurt and by them playing the race card?
- What situations have you been involved with where you needed to change your approach because there was a racial element?
- How would you have handled them differently?

And if that fails, imagine you are DCI Gene Hunt and complete the form accordingly
Old 05 October 2009, 02:11 PM
zeuss
Scooby Regular

thank you very much for that - appreciated
Old 05 October 2009, 02:28 PM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

criteria based interviews dontcha luv em
Old 05 October 2009, 02:29 PM
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

I'd apply for a different job if I were you
Old 05 October 2009, 02:29 PM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SJ_Skyline

- When should you be respectful for race and diversity and when shouldn't you?
- How do you tell the difference between someone being genuinely hurt and by them playing the race card?
- What situations have you been involved with where you needed to change your approach because there was a racial element?
- How would you have handled them differently?

And if that fails, imagine you are DCI Gene Hunt and complete the form accordingly
- You should always be respectful to all you come across.

- Racially motivated crime - 'Hate Crimes' - are actually decided by either the victim, the reporting officer or by anybody else who thinks there may be an element of hate involved. Hate crimes can be motivated by race, religion, sexuality or disability.

- As mentioned above, Race and Diversity is not solely about racial matters. A good example would be how would you approach the scenario where a deaf person would like to report a missing child. The barriers here would obviously be the fact that that person would be panicking about the child's safety, the language barriers - they may be able to lip read, but can you use sign language?
Old 05 October 2009, 02:37 PM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by ScoobyWon't
- Racially motivated crime - 'Hate Crimes' - are actually decided by either the victim, the reporting officer or by anybody else who thinks there may be an element of hate involved. Hate crimes can be motivated by race, religion, sexuality or disability.
But a bit of ginger or fatty bashing is ok
Old 05 October 2009, 02:44 PM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SJ_Skyline
But a bit of ginger or fatty bashing is ok
Depends if you count being ginger or a fatty as a disability...

Last edited by ScoobyWon't; 05 October 2009 at 07:17 PM.
Old 05 October 2009, 04:33 PM
Felix.
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Bare in mind effective communication can also mean relaying information to officers, custody staff etc in an appropriate manner.

ie - there is a solicitor for Mr Smith present at the front desk.
not - the solicitor for that tw*t you locked up is at the front desk
Old 05 October 2009, 06:45 PM
zeuss
Scooby Regular

---Quote (Originally by stilover)---
PIG
---End Quote---

Not quite, just a piglet, if he is lucky.

he is a "SHE" lol
Old 05 October 2009, 06:54 PM
yoza
BANNED

I beg your pardon, I thought she was he, why dont you drive a mini to avoid confusion.
Old 05 October 2009, 06:56 PM
zeuss
Scooby Regular

coz i can handle all my horses and prefer a real car
Old 05 October 2009, 08:12 PM
s70rjw
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by zeuss
Im applying for a job within Manchester Police for the position of Enquiry Counter Officer upon getting the application form this morning two questions that they are asking I have no idea what to put. Its in two parts Behavioral competencies, and I have to provide evidence of the following :

any advice (serious only please) as to what kind of things they would be looking for in each of these categories

cheers
Pm sent
Old 05 October 2009, 08:14 PM
zeuss
Scooby Regular

cheers but not got one !!
Old 05 October 2009, 08:25 PM
s70rjw
Scooby Senior

cheers but not got one !!
oh yes you do....
Old 05 October 2009, 08:27 PM
zeuss
Scooby Regular

haha yes thanks
Old 05 October 2009, 08:47 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Some touchy ******* on here.

I was only joking saying "PIG". No need to delete my post.
Old 05 October 2009, 08:47 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

I wanted to apply for a job in the PSNI recently, not as an actually police officer but more as a office person. Sounded great until i read the end of the job application. Apparently as i'm not Catholic or a Foreigner my CV would go directly into the bin.
Old 05 October 2009, 08:48 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Say you are a gay tranvestite muslim transexual

Last edited by kingofturds; 05 October 2009 at 08:49 PM.
Old 05 October 2009, 08:54 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by kingofturds
Say you are a gay tranvestite muslim transexual
too ugly to pass as gay, not gay enough to pass as a tranvestite and my skins too pasty to pass as a muslim. My luck has copped out.
Old 05 October 2009, 08:55 PM
djwrx
Scooby Regular

hiya...i applied for the police in april.ive worked in the public sector for years now and with members of the public.attended diversity courses etc through work and still failed the compentcy test.thought i had given all the correct response and had been policticaly correct etc.im 38 years old,served in the forces too and was talking too a 21 year old bobby who applied at 18 and got in.now considering these questions are based on real life experiences i found it hard too belive he could have witnesed all these in that short span out in the real world.my advice is ask a bobby for some advice on wording etc,there are also pre access courses run at colleges give you bit of help in understanding etc.when you done a draft copy get someone too read over.the feedback i had back off them after failing was almost word for word identical too what my sister had and her friend when they failed.perhaps im cynical lol...good luck anyway.im going try again in jan now im bit more savvy on what they want too hear lol
Old 05 October 2009, 08:59 PM
zeuss
Scooby Regular

good luck to you djwrx then i am currenly unemployed but work 1 day a week voluntary for a community centre and luckily for me they are running courses for the staff FOC and Im due to start this wed doing a Good relationships course so hope this helps a little for me
Old 05 October 2009, 09:04 PM
djwrx
Scooby Regular

well hope you have some good luck...me personaly being 38 think it against me when they can have who they want from lot younger batch...i went too brum for forms in april, and over 2 nights there were 1200 people attending lol...going try 1 last time tho
Old 05 October 2009, 09:07 PM
zeuss
Scooby Regular

im also 38 but not actually applying for the force just as police staff position
Old 05 October 2009, 09:10 PM
djwrx
Scooby Regular

ahh see....well you fill form in make sure nothing is outside the box.all capitals and easy too read.when you fill the compentcy boxes in i found the easiet way was toopair up the lines with a sheet of lined a4 and wrote in that first.for the reason i knew it would all fit and not go over etc before i finished.think your allowed ten grammatical mistakes too over the pages you have too write so take your time and write rough draft copy first is my advice
Old 05 October 2009, 09:57 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

I worked in the IT branch at GMP for ten years, the PC-ness is stifling sometimes, "positive" discrimination is rife, its like a pendulum has swung from the Gene Hunt type years right to the other end where you have to have to be from a minority to get a look in, that was three years ago so it may have improved, where I work now we have various people from minorities and they all get treated with respect and we dont have Lesbian and Gay Groups, Black and Asian Groups and all that, we just all get on with it, it was amazing how much time could be spent organising and promoting minority stuff, now I dont have any axe to grind with any section of soceity and I hope nobody has to suffer abuse but this is taxpayers money being spunked on organising all these events in work time.

My advice would be to read up on Gender Disphoria, Islam, Judaism, Homosexuality, Black culture and the issues these groups face, make up some incident where you had to make a difficult call on an issue in this area, make it clear if you heard a colleague making a racist comment that you would drop them in it as it is unaceptable as they LOVE this, potentially in GMP if you hear something and dont report ityou are as culpable as the person who said it, havign been on the end of this when a pillock in my area said Hitler Had the right idea re gays, I asked him if I had heard him say what I though I heard giving him the option to change it, he re-iterated it loudly so I had to report it, wasnt going to lose my job for the ****, especially as he said it when others heard, more to it that that, he was getting sacked for beign useless anyway and other issues but be prepared for those kind of questions.

Fill in the application for correctly, neatly and check your spelling, amazing the number we got that looked like they had come from five year olds.
Old 06 October 2009, 09:34 AM
billythekid
Scooby Regular

They dont want you to explain that effective communication "is" or what respect for race "means".

They want examples of when you have applied the above.

So with no 1, have you ever found yourself in a difficult situation where you had to communicate with someone - maybe an irate customer for example? All members of the public are seen as "customers", certainly as a civvy. So as an example..

"whilst working as the supervisor at XYZ shop, I encountered a customer who was attempting to return a defective DVD player. She was becoming very irate and threw her purse on the counter, the sales person who was dealing with the return was having problems with the point of sales system to issue the refund, the customer spoke little English so could not answer or understand some of the questions.

I could see the situation was going to escalate further so I decided to go over and introduce myself. I told the customer my name and that I was the store supervisor, and said I was very sorry there had been a problem. I reassured the customer that we would resolve this matter as quickly as we could so she could continue with her shopping. I asked the customer where she was from, she told me Poland. I knew one of our stock room supervisors was also Polish. I called the stock room on the internal phone system and asked him to come to the counter right away. I told the customer what was happening and she immediately started to calm down.

When he arrived I explained the situation to him, and he then explained to the customer that we needed certain information to process the return and issue the refund. The Polish member of staff translated our requests and in a very short time the refund had been completed. Before the customer left I made sure she understood what had just happened and she told me through the translator that she understood and was satisfied with the refund.

Although I could not speak Polish myself, I identified that the situation was not getting any better due to a lack of communication and understanding. This was resolved by getting the translation done promptly and effectively. This resulted in customer satisfaction and it also diffused a potentially disruptive situation."

Or sumfink like that....

Dont forget, if you get through the papersift then you will have to go through the interview too - where they will probably ask you similar questions...

That said, I would not expect you to be grilled as much as the interview panel for the regs - which is a whole different process.

Which sation is this for BTW?

HTH
Old 06 October 2009, 11:24 AM
zeuss
Scooby Regular

thanks for some of the helpful and positive comments guys

oh and billythekid its for ashton under lyne station - greater manchester
Old 06 October 2009, 04:19 PM
grovesy
Scooby Regular

Be sure to tell them you were bullied at school and you have a limited number of close friends. You should fit right in
Old 06 October 2009, 04:25 PM
chelsea77
Scooby Regular

Equal opportunities ?

Quick Reply: help applying to the police