Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Selling Goods over the Net

Search this Thread

Old 13 March 2002, 09:45 PM
nigel s
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I am seeking advice from anybody who has experience of selling parts over the net. I have just sold some car parts via a BBS, after negotiating on price via email, I requested the buyer send a Bankers draft and in return i'll post the goods back to him the same day. The buyer would prefer for me to Email him my Back account number & sort code, who will then have the money paid direct into my account on the same morning that he has arranged a courier to collect the goods. My question is this a safe method?, should I insist on a cheque. For all the people who buy & sell parts on this site how do you go about trusting some one you have never met.
Old 13 March 2002, 10:13 PM
mega_stream
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

I've sold and bought quite a few things on here. I've always sent a cheque and not expected the seller to ship the goods until the cheque had cleared...likewise when I've sold goods, I wait to receive the cheque normally pop it in my bank then send the goods the same/next day.

I would like to think regular users of this bbs can be trusted, although I have to say I'd be cautious dealing with someone thats only just started posting or from another bbs that I'd not been a member of.

I think the main thing is regular contact with the seller/buyer at all times to keep updated on the progress.

Not sure I'd want to email my bank account details to anyone..
Old 13 March 2002, 10:17 PM
Luke
BANNED

How knows??? Can you not arrange to meet the person??? If you dont feel comfortable with the situation wait for another buyer.

If his name is S**** *i*** Dont even think about it...
Old 13 March 2002, 10:23 PM
Silent Monkey
Scooby Regular

There has to be an element of trust somewhere. If they send you a cheque and you send the goods after the cheque has cleared they have to trust you to send the goods, if you send the goods before cheque cleared you have to trust it won't bounce.

There's obviously no problem giving them your account details but how would you know the money has been paid in? Depending on type of account and how they pay it in it could be several days before it appears in your account.

Some things you can do:

Make sure you have an address and try and verify it.
Make sure you have a phone number - not mobile - check it.
Be prepared to provide the same details to them.
Don't rely on an "anonymous" email address - hotmail etc (no offence to hotmail users).
Do a search on Google groups for their name or email address, if they frequent the usenet groups you'll see if there are good or bad reports.

Old 14 March 2002, 08:36 AM
alistair
Scooby Senior

There should be no problem providing a sort code and account number - they are written on your cheques anyway so not exactly a secret.

I'd rather pay someone this way as I can do it over the phone any time. My cheque book is always at home, then I've got to post it etc. which adds delays - what's the point when I can do a transfer over the phone.

It usually takes 3-4 days unless you are sending to the same bank, but you can put a reference on the payment which is a line of text so it should be pretty easy to identify.

There is always an element of trust - usually on the side of the buyer although I have bought things where the payment has crossed with the goods.

The advantage of posting a cheque is that you know the physical address that it has gone into, so I guess that making an electronic payment is even more trusting because all you have is the bank details.

At the end of the day most transactions are trust based and you will hear occasional stories where the trust was broken and like any breach of trust it affects those on the recieving end very badly and it will take a long time before they trust again......
Old 14 March 2002, 08:45 AM
nigel s
Scooby Regular

Thanks for your comments, you say electronic transfer usally takes 3-4 days, is that always the case?. We are arranging the transfer of funds and collection of the goods for the same morning.
Old 14 March 2002, 09:03 AM
tweenierob
Scooby Regular

if you bank with any of the high street banks, the buyer can pay the money into your account over the counter and it will clear straight away if cash is paid in of course.....
if you give him your name and acct number the buyer can go into the same type of bank and pay the cash in, you can then ring the bank with your details and check that the money has been paid in...
thats how i normally do it..
rob
Old 14 March 2002, 10:28 AM
MARK MORRIS
Scooby Regular

i sold a set of wheels to someone from scotland on here, he rang me on the saturday night, said he wanted them, got my bank details off me sunday, the money was transferred monday evening and i sent them tuesday morning after ringing the bank twice to check the money was still in there
no probs
mark
Old 14 March 2002, 10:48 AM
www.mscva.com
Scooby Regular

I use paypal for secure fast payment. there is no better service .
if there is i havent found it!
and ive had no problems with them.
1st class service www.paypal.com
Old 14 March 2002, 11:02 AM
ptholt
Scooby Regular

only problem with paypal is the charges, which if you sell something like a set of AP's the transfer cost could be prohibitive and i would pass that on to purchaser.

Also i wouldnt be too quick to dismiss web based email accounts.

As an adsl user my isp wants me to pay extra for mail services, why should i pay that when i currently gove them £200 a month for adsl anyway when i can use yahoo email for nowt and collect it at any web pc?

I did used to have a virgin.net account but they just decided to close it because i havent used there dial up in 3 months (cant with adsl) rather daft seeing as i have used there dial up since i last had a modem about 5 years ago!
Old 14 March 2002, 01:14 PM
nigel s
Scooby Regular

Thanks, i'll get the buyer to pay the money in direct, and then check its there before allowing collection. I use internet banking which should show the funds as soon as he pays it in.
Nigel
Old 14 March 2002, 04:28 PM
Mr.Manchester
Scooby Regular

Nigel, if hes sending a courier to collect the goods then why cant he send the cash with the courier?
I used to work for city link, and this happened all the time.
Ask him to give the cash to the courier.

Andy.
Old 14 March 2002, 05:46 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Use either Paypal or nochex - I'd recommend paypal for a buyer as you've got more comeback with a credit card. Nochex seems better for a seller
Old 14 March 2002, 08:14 PM
Shark
Scooby Regular

My 2p - Don't trust anyone

Unless you know them, or know someone that does.

David