Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Carpet Cleaners

Search this Thread

Old 25 September 2009, 12:49 AM
Stevesbluewrx
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carpet Cleaners

I've used a few over the years but when it comes down to getting one I am not sure what to get within my budget?

I've used the Karcher ones that HSS do for hire and found these to be very good. However, these are well out of my reach in terms of price range.

I only wish to use it for my living room and hall way to be honest. And if they have the wands for seats etc then a result.

I have a 2 year old who is always spilling stuff over the carpets and my neice is round 4 or 5 days a week (another 2 year old).
My daughter who is 3 months seems to choose the carpet in the living room to throw up in.

I need to get a cleaner ASAP as my place is starting to look a mess.

Budget of £100-£200 .

Any suggestions?

Cheers
Steve
Old 25 September 2009, 09:43 AM
Wish
Scooby Regular

Ive got this one .... Brilliant little machine. And very well made.
Mine is about 3 yrs old and no problems at all

Numatic GVE370-2GREEN George Bagged Cylinder 3 in 1 Vacuum Cleaner: Amazon.co.uk: Kitchen & Home
Old 25 September 2009, 10:36 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Got a Bissell Powerwash, Vax 3-in-one and a karcher Puzzi at work.

Whilst the karcher is better at spot cleaning and has a much bigger fresh and waste water tanks, the bissell is no worse in performance, but a hell of alot cheaper. The vax has the best suction of the lot, so dries the carpet better. But the cleaning heads are pants.

For value the bissel get my vote, just a shame the tanks aren't very big: need two to three empty/refils for an average room, where a karcher will do the lot in one go.

Although they all do my back in, and both very slow when doing a proper job.

(Not telling people to suck eggs here but, trick to using them is to move v-e-r-y slowly when sucking up the detergent out the carpet - about one inch per second , the temptation is to treat them like normal vacuum cleaners and move back and forth over and over too quickly).

Oh, and shop about for detergents, the likes of Bissell's and Vax's own brand detergent are extremely expensive. Cheaper alternatives online and off the shelf for about £5 a gallon.
Old 25 September 2009, 04:26 PM
tanyatriangles
Scooby Regular

Another vote for the Bissel: borrowed one from friends to do our carpets.

A word of warning though: if your carpet isn't young/VERY good quality, cleaning like this will age them faster, and cause them to thin/stretch/move
Old 26 September 2009, 01:52 AM
Stevesbluewrx
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the input folks.

I ended up getting a VAX V-123 in the end for £152.00 brand new.

I'm going to use it tomorrow once the misses goes out with the kiddies. Fingers crossed I've spent my money well.

Would love a Bissell but for the added tools etc I was looking at £250+ and I haven't got the funds this month sadly.

Still if I am not happy surely I can return it and swap?

Steve
Old 26 September 2009, 09:55 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Owch I didn't realise the prices for Bissells could be so high! Where were you looking? Ours was £100 from Makro: Its even cheaper online: Bissell Shop Direct :: Products :: Deep Cleaners :: PowerWash Deluxe

Last edited by ALi-B; 26 September 2009 at 10:00 AM.
Old 26 September 2009, 10:11 AM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

We use Numatic George`s at work to clean the car interiors, and i just bring one back with me when i need to sort something out at home
Old 26 September 2009, 10:43 AM
Stevesbluewrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ALi-B
Owch I didn't realise the prices for Bissells could be so high! Where were you looking? Ours was £100 from Makro: Its even cheaper online: Bissell Shop Direct :: Products :: Deep Cleaners :: PowerWash Deluxe

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Thanks for that Ali . I was going on market websites etc and came across a few.
Still waiting for the misses to go out so I can geek it (how sad am I looking forward to washing the carpets )

Bissell seem to have such good feedback etc.

The thing I found was you kind of get lost looking for these sort of things as the info is almost like for like bar some odd spec changes etc. I think part of the reason we got the V-123 was the misses wanted a purple one. I made the comment of not unlike you to be over welmed by the purple shine.

I think £152 is a pretty good price?

Steve
Old 26 September 2009, 11:03 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

I know what you mean; After having a quick at all the variants of Bissells I can see why.

The only difference I can tell from mine and the top models is it has a heater, different brush and comes with some shampoo (oh and its a different colour). One thing it doesn't mention is if it has a bigger water tank - I guess not, pity, as thats what it really does need (and worth paying the extra for IMO ).

I haven't a clue if the vax V-123 is better or not. Vax in general are pretty good though; our 3-in-1 has took some abuse over the years (I use it for dust extraction when cutting/sanding wood). And if I'm right, alot of their stuff has a 6yr warranty, so thats a bonus if it has it.

Last edited by ALi-B; 26 September 2009 at 11:04 AM.
Old 28 September 2009, 06:59 PM
Stevesbluewrx
Scooby Regular

Hey Ali,

Yeah the prices all of a sudden take a huge leap.

I used my VAX V-123 this weekend. Overall pretty happy. The heaters on them really do dry the carpet and I found the way it picks up the water etc very good.
I seems to have done very well in picking up dirt under the surface even though the carpet was only done a couple of months ago.
However I found the brush heads not very good and the top layer marks on the carpet not being agitated enough meaning you had to re do that area a few times.

Also found the water storage tank was not big enough. Had to fill the dispenser tank a couple of times for just one room.

Looking forward to using it on the Focus and my STi seats (not sure if I will on my STi seats or not) as the small brushes on the wands look handy.

I wouldn't say it wasn't worth the money. But a part of me would have though that it would have aggitated the surface marks a little better?

Steve