Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

A strange sunday afternoon. Colourscape!

Search this Thread

Old 13 September 2009, 11:48 PM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A strange sunday afternoon. Colourscape!

Up until friday, I didnt know what I was doing this weekend. Then I read the free paper on the way home and quickly changed my plans. Colourscape was in town.

I saw this years ago and thought it looked pretty cool, a huge network of interconnected coloured cells, with ambient music radiating through the walls and marketed as an experience based on colour and your perception of it, specifically "Colour is energy. Colourscape is about opening up your senses, stimulating creativity and extending your awareness of colour." But I quickly forgot about it when life inevitably took over and only remembered when I saw it was touching down in Clapham common this sunday to be precise.
Its actually been around for about 20 or so years and I am always a fan of doing something different every once in a while so after the grand prix, I set off. Once I got there, I queued for about 20 minutes,was invited to take off my shoes and then was offered a variety of colours of capes to wear. Those of you that know me will understand my choice of colour.

You'll also notice the entrance behind me, and it deserves a shot of its own. Mainly because it looks like a GIANT VAGINA

Once I climbed through the GIANT VAGINA, I was inside.

I had seen aerial views of the network, but I couldnt remember for the life of me which was was best.

I decided on left and before I knew it I was inside.

It was amazing, the sensory overload is difficult to describe, but the sheer intensity of colour envelopes you when you walk into each cell. It ranges from bright white to pitch black and everything else inbetween. The best part was looking through a long series of tunnels of different colours.

But it was the individual cells which were the real eyeeopener, particularly the red. It was so bright and so intense I actually lost my balance at one point, just look at the intensity for the reason why.

As well as the sight, the sound was another thing of note. Watch 2001, a space odyssey and get to the part where they find the monolith. The eerie operatic music which was remarkably similiar to that in that scene was resonating through the walls all the time I was there. It wasnt scary, just odd. But what followed next was odder.

After a little walking, I got to the central chamber. Huge, white and with fluted columns in the centre and within those was a real surprise.

I thought the music was recorded, but I was wrong. These singers were wired with radio mics and were singing live in the centre of the venue and broadcasting around the chambers.

and this was presumably where it was going to.

Eventually, I moved on and got more of the same.

Including probably my favourite photo of the lot of them.

But all good things have to come to an end and eventually I found the exit.

Walking away, I found myself with a perculiar feeling of calmness. Despite being brief, it was a surprisingly profound experience, with the sensory deprivation of the blandess of your surroundings contrasting with the intensity of the colours and the strangeness of the music. Unusual and maybe a little odd i grant you, but it is definitely reccommended if you fancy taking yourself out of your comfort zone. Via a GIANT VAGINA
astraboy.
Old 13 September 2009, 11:50 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You really should do less drugs mate
Old 13 September 2009, 11:58 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks mad