Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Global Warming in my pants.......

Search this Thread

Old 07 September 2009, 09:25 PM
Janspeed
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Global Warming in my pants.......

......not really, serious for those who care:

http://www.spaceweather.com/swpod200...8vllnds93091q2

SpaceWeather.com -- News and information about meteor showers, solar flares, auroras, and near-Earth asteroids
Old 08 September 2009, 12:18 AM
finalzero
Scooby Regular

I've got a couple of b@llox in my pants...
Old 08 September 2009, 12:24 AM
Janspeed
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by finalzero
I've got a couple of b@llox in my pants...
Bat lox??

What are those, Bat Dreadlocks??
Old 08 September 2009, 11:35 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Interesting to see the effects of solar irradiance confirmed. We have had very few sunspots for a long time now so consequently the magnetic energy radiation from the sun has been very low. They say the next solar maximum should be in 2012 and we are getting pretty close to that in respect to the solar sunspot cycle which is every 11 years from max to min. We should be seeing a high number of sunspots now.

There was a dearth of sunspots in the 1600's to the 1700's for 70 years and that is when we went through a mini ice age. That is when the rivers were freezing over heavily enough to have fairs on the ice in this country. This period was called the "Maunder Minimum". Interesting to look it up!

There were 12 sunspots a few days ago, and they were the first reported for several weeks. Very unusual.

Les
Old 10 September 2009, 10:44 AM
Janspeed
Scooby Regular

In fact the Thames froze during the mini-ice age.............
Old 10 September 2009, 11:41 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
Interesting to see the effects of solar irradiance confirmed. We have had very few sunspots for a long time now so consequently the magnetic energy radiation from the sun has been very low. They say the next solar maximum should be in 2012 and we are getting pretty close to that in respect to the solar sunspot cycle which is every 11 years from max to min. We should be seeing a high number of sunspots now.

There was a dearth of sunspots in the 1600's to the 1700's for 70 years and that is when we went through a mini ice age. That is when the rivers were freezing over heavily enough to have fairs on the ice in this country. This period was called the "Maunder Minimum". Interesting to look it up!

There were 12 sunspots a few days ago, and they were the first reported for several weeks. Very unusual.

Les
So les what does this mean in terms of Global Warming?

As I understand it, the effect of solar activity has supressed temps in recent years, in other words solar activity goes along way towards explaning and confiming man made global warming theory as temps historically would have been significantly lower when the same lack of activity occured in the past.
Old 11 September 2009, 12:57 PM
Janspeed
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Martin2005

As I understand it, the effect of solar activity has supressed temps in recent years, in other words solar activity goes along way towards explaning and confiming man made global warming theory as temps historically would have been significantly lower when the same lack of activity occured in the past.
The sun has a big effect on the weather.............
Old 11 September 2009, 03:03 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

It seems that the energy which arrives here from the sun which is generated by the sunpots, which are an area of intense magnetic activity on the surface of the sun, does have a positive effect on the Earth's climate. The scientists seem to agree that the sunspot activity does create a warming effect and during that time when there were very few sunspots for some 70 years during the "Maunder Minimum", the earth became much colder and there was a mini "Ice Age".

It could well be then, that if we are entering another sunspot minimum now, the earth could become very much colder and they will be advising us to buy bigger cars!

Les
Old 11 September 2009, 06:04 PM
Janspeed
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
It seems that the energy which arrives here from the sun which is generated by the sunpots, which are an area of intense magnetic activity on the surface of the sun, does have a positive effect on the Earth's climate. The scientists seem to agree that the sunspot activity does create a warming effect and during that time when there were very few sunspots for some 70 years during the "Maunder Minimum", the earth became much colder and there was a mini "Ice Age".

It could well be then, that if we are entering another sunspot minimum now, the earth could become very much colder and they will be advising us to buy bigger cars!

Les
When it ends, they will be all ECO again and taxing the crap out of everyone!
Old 12 September 2009, 07:09 PM
DocJock
Scooby Regular

The emperors' new clothes that is MMGWT is falling apart.

All of the propoganda from the Government and other self-interested parties relies on Climate Modelling programs. They are utterly useless but we are still battered with predictions spewed out by these junk projects.

Example:

Radiative forcing is supposed to be the great bogeyman of MMCC, as temperatures rise a feedback loop reduces the amount of outgoing longwave radiation (heat) causing further temperature increases (greenhouse effect).

We are therefore being browbeaten to reduce our 'carbon' output to prevent this.

Trouble is, the data does not stack up against the models' forecasts. The graphic below shows the forecasts from eleven most commonly used climate models, and one which is the data from actual measurements. Can you guess which one is the actual data?

The vertical axis is outgoing LW radiation flux, horizontal is sea surface temperatures (SST)

It would be hilarious in it's ridiculousness if the eleven back-to-front (ie plain WRONG) sets of figures were not the ones being used by the IPCC to support their bonkers advice to Governments all round the world. Think about this next time a politician is on tv telling us all how the clever people at the IPCC say we have to dramatically change our lifestyles to save the planet....

Have a read of the original paper http://scienceandpublicpolicy.org/im...dback_erbe.pdf
Old 12 September 2009, 07:19 PM
Janspeed
Scooby Regular

Great link!

Wonder if they would ever have the guts to show this around when they argue for all that nonsense!
Old 12 September 2009, 07:31 PM
Torquemada
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Oh, as environmental champion for my department at work, I'm gonna have a field day with the Greenies at work next week.

Yeah, choosing a Subaru drivin' petrol head as an environmental champion seems weird but I like to bring a little balance to meetings as the tree huggers can get a bit over excited, and now they're stuck with me

Good bits of info, cheers
Old 12 September 2009, 08:22 PM
DocJock
Scooby Regular

Oh, btw, the second graph on this link in the OP http://www.spaceweather.com/swpod200...8vllnds93091q2 is typical of the misinformation spouted by the IPCC and their cohorts.

It shows 'solar irradiance'as basically constant over 50 years therefore temp increases must be down to 'anthropogenic influences'. What they don't tell you is that irradiance is only one of the effects that the sun has on our climate system. Svensmark explains why this is wrong in this extract Svensmark: “global warming stopped and a cooling is beginning” – “enjoy global warming while it lasts” Watts Up With That?
Old 13 September 2009, 12:47 AM
Janspeed
Scooby Regular

So what is going on then?
Old 13 September 2009, 04:10 AM
finalzero
Scooby Regular

It's all about the taxes:

Good News, There's a Climate Bill -- Bad News, It Stinks | Environment | AlterNet

If you look at the real facts and compare them to past data it's obvious we are simply going through a normal process and in fact have been cooling for a while (which is obvious).

The problem is the alarmists trying to stir people up into a frenzy to push through yet more taxes on the poor and stupid.
Old 13 September 2009, 08:13 AM
LC Geezer
Scooby Regular

I reckon it all means that Ming the merciless is on his way.
Old 13 September 2009, 08:35 AM
Myles
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by LC Geezer
"Klitus, I'm bored......."
Old 13 September 2009, 09:07 PM
Janspeed
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by LC Geezer
Do we live on Arboria?
Old 13 September 2009, 09:55 PM
finalzero
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Janspeed
Do we live on Arboria?
Yes and Ming really is on his way, hopefully will boot out Flash Gordon and run this country properly
Old 13 September 2009, 09:57 PM
Myles
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by finalzero
Yes and Ming really is on his way, hopefully will boot out Flash Gordon and run this country properly
An inspired comment. I think of him as Mong the Feckless personally......
Old 14 September 2009, 08:23 AM
scunnered
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

All this climate change nonsense is purely about making money. Its a conspiricy on a global scale which came about due to the Kyoto protocol. I've yet to hear any of the pro-climate change people acknowledge the existence of the Milankovich cycles and its effect on our planet.
Just how increased taxation can have an effect on climate change is beyond belief.
Old 14 September 2009, 09:50 AM
warrenm2
Scooby Regular

Its just a media campaign in the lead up to the Copenhagen conference in December...
Old 14 September 2009, 12:23 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scunnered
All this climate change nonsense is purely about making money. Its a conspiricy on a global scale which came about due to the Kyoto protocol. I've yet to hear any of the pro-climate change people acknowledge the existence of the Milankovich cycles and its effect on our planet.
Just how increased taxation can have an effect on climate change is beyond belief.
Interesting...I've yet to hear anybody put a sensible explanation of how such a 'global conspiracy' could ever of been planned and implemented!!

Maybe you can?
Old 14 September 2009, 12:29 PM
Klaatu
Scooby Regular

Interesting...I've yet to hear anybody put a sensible explanation of how such a 'global conspiracy' could ever of been planned and implemented!!

Maybe you can?
Just check out physics 101; Explain how CO2 absorbs, and the re-radiates, energy. List the frequency bandwidths CO2 does this, then study where that "energy" will natrually direct itself. Then examine how many CO2 molecules are in, an assumed evenly mixed column of air, and how many OTHER molecules a photon of "energy" has to pass BEFORE it strikes CO2.

Last edited by Klaatu; 14 September 2009 at 12:31 PM.
Old 14 September 2009, 12:54 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Klaatu
Just check out physics 101; Explain how CO2 absorbs, and the re-radiates, energy. List the frequency bandwidths CO2 does this, then study where that "energy" will natrually direct itself. Then examine how many CO2 molecules are in, an assumed evenly mixed column of air, and how many OTHER molecules a photon of "energy" has to pass BEFORE it strikes CO2.
Thats an explanation of how the science COULD be wrong, not how a global conspiracy was orchestrated
Old 14 September 2009, 12:55 PM
finalzero
Scooby Regular

Yeah what he said
Old 14 September 2009, 01:00 PM
Klaatu
Scooby Regular

Thats an explanation of how the science COULD be wrong, not how a global conspiracy was orchestrated
No! It's physics, it's real, it's correct, it's NOT Al Gore and IPCC (Thanks Thatcher). When you understand that, the real physics of CO2, IR, absorbtion and re-radiation, you will realise AGW via the burning of fossil fuels, ie, CO2 and only that released by humans and human activity, you will realise AGW, as per IPCC and almost all Govn'ts to date, is a hoax.

Polar bears are not dieing. Arctic/Antarctic ice is not receding.

Last edited by Klaatu; 14 September 2009 at 01:02 PM.
Old 14 September 2009, 01:03 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

No! It's physics, it's real, it's correct, it's NOT Al Gore and IPCC (Thanks Thatcher). When you understand that, the real physics of CO2, IR, absorbtion and re-radiation, you will realise AGW via the burning of fossil fuels, ie, CO2 and only that released by human and human activity, you will realise AGW, as per IPCC and almost all Govn'ts to date, is a hoax.

Polar bears are not dieing. Arctic/Antarctic ice is not receding.
Yes this is another brilliant answer to the wrong question
Old 14 September 2009, 01:09 PM
Klaatu
Scooby Regular

Yes this is another brilliant answer to the wrong question
Do you get all your "science" from the Gaurdian? It seems so...

Again, go study the absorbtion bands for CO2, then come back to me for a debate.
Old 14 September 2009, 01:14 PM
Janspeed
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scunnered
It means we will be printing more money and cheques, meaning that more trees will be cut down causing more "greenhouse" gases..............

Quick Reply: Global Warming in my pants.......