Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Anybody use vinegar when doing the laundry ?

Search this Thread

Old 06 September 2009, 04:12 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anybody use vinegar when doing the laundry ?

Righty, every now and again, when removing the washing from the machine, i end up with a kind of feisty smell, usually on my work t-shirt collar for some reason, although it can be on other parts.

Upon removing the t-shirt, i started putting it straight on top of the storage heaters to dry it as fast as possible, although some times this still does not work, it drys nice and fast, but still smells like a tramps ****

I have always washed the clothing on a 30 degrees cycle, the machine will be around 3 years old now, and i suspect it needs a bit of a clean out

We started adding fabric conditioner around 6 months back although we are not sure that its causing the problem?

I have been reading online about how adding a cup of vinegar to the washing machine is supposed to work wonders, cleaning out the machine, i can see how this would work, i think i can vaguely remember something in the instructions about using "calgon" or something like that, but when it was bought, i dismissed it as marketing bollocks

Apparently reading online, washing machines need regular 60-90 degree "maintenance washes" to keep them in good condition as doing constant washing at 30 degrees is no good for them ?

The most confusing bit for me was that loads of people seam to be using vinegar in every single wash, as a substitute for fabric conditioner, and for the life of me, i can not work out how an acid product can "condition" some fabric ?
Old 06 September 2009, 05:03 PM
tarmac terror
Scooby Regular

Yep - my wife thinks I am bonkers, wash my clothes with vinegar in the fabric conditioner trap thing on the washing machine.

Commercial fabric conditioners in my opinion have so many chemicals in them, they leave a lot of residues behind in the clothes, and I think there is an unpleasant smell from them even after washing.

I have had my suspicions that some types of bacteria can build up in washing machines when used at low temperatures, my mum told me that a high temp wash with vinegar in the machine will sort out the bacteria and any limescale problems that may exist.

Dont worry mate, your clothes won't smell of vinegar at all.
Old 06 September 2009, 05:06 PM
Foofighter
Scooby Regular

what type and how much do you use? might give this a try
Old 06 September 2009, 05:09 PM
yoza
BANNED

Originally Posted by StickyMicky
Righty, every now and again, when removing the washing from the machine, i end up with a kind of feisty smell, usually on my work t-shirt collar for some reason, although it can be on other parts.

Upon removing the t-shirt, i started putting it straight on top of the storage heaters to dry it as fast as possible, although some times this still does not work, it drys nice and fast, but still smells like a tramps ****

I have always washed the clothing on a 30 degrees cycle, the machine will be around 3 years old now, and i suspect it needs a bit of a clean out

We started adding fabric conditioner around 6 months back although we are not sure that its causing the problem?

I have been reading online about how adding a cup of vinegar to the washing machine is supposed to work wonders, cleaning out the machine, i can see how this would work, i think i can vaguely remember something in the instructions about using "calgon" or something like that, but when it was bought, i dismissed it as marketing bollocks

Apparently reading online, washing machines need regular 60-90 degree "maintenance washes" to keep them in good condition as doing constant washing at 30 degrees is no good for them ?

The most confusing bit for me was that loads of people seam to be using vinegar in every single wash, as a substitute for fabric conditioner, and for the life of me, i can not work out how an acid product can "condition" some fabric ?

Well **** me....and you slag off my watch threads.
Old 06 September 2009, 05:21 PM
Torquemada
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

If I can remember right from school, the acetic acid would break down the calcium carbonate that's deposited from hard water and hence clean the machine out a bit like calgon does but I have no idea 'bout the smells side of things having never tried it. Might do now though Surely this is with a bit of white vinegar as well rather than the standard bottle of sarsons, lol.
Old 06 September 2009, 05:24 PM
wayner845
Scooby Regular

I keep my venegar for wierd things like putting on me chips.
Old 06 September 2009, 06:27 PM
Rapid17
Scooby Regular

Cider vinegar applied to athletes foot fungus will cure it. Also, it's much cheaper than the usual creams etc you buy from a Pharmacy.

Geoff.
Old 06 September 2009, 06:43 PM
ianc61
Scooby Regular

I read somewhere once that suggested putting the machine on a hot wash, with some white vinegar in the detegant pot, no clothes in. Apparently this helps clear out the build up powders liquids etc that don't get broken down with regular cool washes.
Old 06 September 2009, 06:46 PM
Foofighter
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ianc61
I read somewhere once that suggested putting the machine on a hot wash, with some white vinegar in the detegant pot, no clothes in. Apparently this helps clear out the build up powders liquids etc that don't get broken down with regular cool washes.

Is white wine vinegar the same as white vinegar? I aint got a clue when it comes to cooking etc
Old 06 September 2009, 07:03 PM
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Just white vinegar, I add a 'splosh'.
Old 06 September 2009, 07:25 PM
tarmac terror
Scooby Regular

Aye - just any white vinegar, the cheapest stuff you can get your hands on. About 50 - 100 ml per wash is the job. If you are worried about the smell remaining, put half a tea spoon of lemon oil in with the vinegar. Try it on some old sheets or something first if you are worried about the smell.
Old 06 September 2009, 08:21 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Two things that wreck washing machines

30 degree washes, and fabric conditioner,

They form a sludge which if left for too long will fubar the machine.

There are many ways of treating the problem.

the best is to get some descaler and detergent buster tablets from your local washing machine repair place.

There not that bad, £10 for 10 months supply ( 1 tab per month in a

90degree wash (no washing though))

Another way is to make a mild solution of bleach and send that through a

cycle, although you may need to do a couple of cycles to clear it, and it

can foam a bit at 90 degrees , if it does just push onto the rinse

cycle.

Dont fall for the **lgon tabs , all they do is soften the water, no descaling

or hitting the detergent.

Mart
Old 07 September 2009, 07:03 AM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

Righty, i investigated last night

And i discovered the problem!

The a while back, the missus spazzed out and put the soap powder in the wrong slot in the dispenser drawer, this then blocked the proper route for the fabric conditioner, it then turned into a black mouldy paste and the only way the fabric conditioner could enter the cycle was by travelling over the mouldy paste, and out via the dispensers over flow system

Upon stripping it all down and cleaning everything out, i then added a half a bottle of cheap malt vinegar and put the machine on a 90degree wash, i left and old t-shirt in the machine to see if the brown vinegar would stain or leave a smell.

It did

So i did another 90 degree cycle and used the white vinegar, and now everything is sweet as a nut

Feckin Wimminz don't even know how to use a bloody washing machine

I think from now on, we are going to use white vinegar instead of fabric conditioner as a little long term test to see how things go, to be honest, the t-shirt came out surprisingly "none stiff"

Last edited by StickyMicky; 07 September 2009 at 07:05 AM.
Old 07 September 2009, 07:06 AM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by yoza
Well **** me....and you slag off my watch threads.

When i start paying 3k plus for a bottle of vintage swiss made vinegar, you may have a point
Old 07 September 2009, 12:04 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Foofighter
Is white wine vinegar the same as white vinegar? I aint got a clue when it comes to cooking etc
Wine changes to vinegar when it oxidises.

Les
Old 07 September 2009, 12:12 PM
sarasquares
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you leave your washing in the machine when its wet your clothes stink like smelly feet. Will vinegar get rid of that smell?

I have cider vinegar for my chickens