Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Has the internet devalued music?

Search this Thread

Old 30 August 2009, 10:35 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Has the internet devalued music?

This is a bit of an odd question but i think the internet really has devalued music for me as I can now go, "mmmh, i want some dance music" and within seconds anything and everything is at my fingertips and its boring as ****.

I miss hunting threw vinyl, tapes and CD's for songs I'd forgotten about as everything is so accessible these days.

I can remember a few years ago my favourite song was Paul Simon - Call Me Al and i had it on vinyl so i only ever listened to it occasionally (generally after a night out and crawling home to stick on me decks) and when i did it meant more to me than now as i have it on my MP3 player in the car etc.

Discuss.
Old 30 August 2009, 10:43 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I see where you're coming from. I've got Spotify on in the background whilst I'm w*rking and I can pretty much listen to anything I want, free. I used to love listening to radio shows by my fave DJ's (80's, Bob Harris, Nick Campbell etc) to pick up on new artists and tracks. Trawling through reviews in Q, NME etc, and raiding mates collections for new material. I suppose at nearly 40 the passion to endlessly quest for new stuff wains, and most new music today is either crap, or a pale duplicate of something I heard 20+ years ago, so I don't bother. I can't remember the last CD I bought
Old 30 August 2009, 10:50 PM
brickboy
Scooby Regular

Other way round for me. The Interweb's great for hearing / getting hold of obscure stuff that you just didn't have easy access to before, and Spotify is the icing on the cake.

I still get a big lift out of finding stuff, whether it's in a second-hand shop or on the web.

Recently got a d/l of all 48 Half Man Half Biscuit Peel Session tracks, my wife will tell you I was insufferable for days
Old 30 August 2009, 10:52 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Too true about new music being rubbish, I'm just after sticking my Sennheisers on and listening to Jimi Hendrix - All Along The Watchtower and I still get blown away by it. Modern Music 96-onwards has a very low shelf life.
Old 31 August 2009, 09:46 AM
Chip
Scooby Regular

And vinyl still sounds a lot better to me than any CD will ever do.

Chip
Old 31 August 2009, 10:17 AM
DYK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jamz3k
Too true about new music being rubbish, I'm just after sticking my Sennheisers on and listening to Jimi Hendrix - All Along The Watchtower and I still get blown away by it. Modern Music 96-onwards has a very low shelf life.

And the Wind cries Mary must agree Music is Pants now i blame programs like X Factor etc.Hate the way that songs from 20-30 yrs ago are being made into a Dance version...
Old 31 August 2009, 10:38 AM
fastmike
Scooby Regular

Speaking of music....... Simon Dee died over the weekend
Old 31 August 2009, 11:25 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Poor bloke had bone cancer

Its human nature to appreciate something better if you have to struggle a bit to get it as far as the music or anything goes really.

Les
Old 31 August 2009, 11:32 AM
Boro
Scooby Regular

I deleted Spotify when i read the record labels dont pay the artists for anything streamed from them.

As for music being devalued, i agree, its devalued in a number of ways.

Used to love loading up vinyl and putting the needle on the record.... when the drum beats go like this, lol.
Old 31 August 2009, 12:10 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Yes it was fun when I was a student rolling back to digs putting on Zeppelin's Communication Breakdown and waking the neighbours

But I could only afford a limited collection and if I had a party I would select a load of tracks and record them on cassette as any "LP" had tracks that weren't appealing. But now with things like Spotify I can play tracks that I liked - almost all pre-1980 - AND the quality is so much better than a scratched vinyl.

And now my wife has discovered the joy of searching out old favourites and I get summoned to hear an old Chuck Berry number or similar.

So, on balance, I would say the Internet is a great asset to music enjoyment. dl