Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

fixed penalty notice

Search this Thread

Old 26 August 2009, 06:36 PM
C17RPA
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fixed penalty notice

got a £60 fixed penalty fine the other day for wrong format number plates..........on the ticket it says....vehicle number (which you were driving/using when the offence indicated was committed) he forgot to fill out (forgot!!!) is it worth having a day in court to get away with it or not?? police and paper-work lucky its not a murder case!!.........p.s he took a pic of front and back number plates and said i'm on video
Old 26 August 2009, 06:42 PM
SunnySideUp
Scooby Regular

A good lawyer would get you off ...... but will cost a LOT more than £60!

Get your NumberPlate sorted legally and there will not be an issue again.
Old 26 August 2009, 06:45 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Depends if you earn more than £60 a day or not

At least you aren't bleating about how stupid and unfair it all is. Why not just sort your plates out and then this sort of thing won't happen
Old 26 August 2009, 06:47 PM
moff1888
Scooby Regular

I got a £30 fine and 2 weeks to change mine, they were illegal I knew that and funnily enough he did too.
Old 26 August 2009, 07:17 PM
C17RPA
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by f1_fan
Depends if you earn more than £60 a day or not

At least you aren't bleating about how stupid and unfair it all is. Why not just sort your plates out and then this sort of thing won't happen
guys i'm deffo in the wrong....hads same plates on others cars for over 6 years (so had a good run with them) its just the left blank number plate space on the ticket,just seems funny the thing he pulled me for he forgot to put in......as you guys say its only £60 i think i could live with that
Old 26 August 2009, 07:23 PM
RJM25R
Scooby Regular

hmmm, i think you may be better to just pay. Copied from Law Answers: free legal advice and answers to any law question — law answers

" was stopped on my motorcycle and given a £30 on the spot fine as my number plate was not 'road legal'. On getting home I discovered that the officer had written the wrong registration on the ticket! Is this still enforcable or should I now just ignore it?"

Driving around with a non-road-legal number plate is the equivalent to carrying around a big sign saying "book me" and you will be repeatedly stopped (and may be repeatedly fined) until you change it.

On the particular question, if the officer has any record of the correct plate or who you are (such as name and address details) then they will bring forward the penalty and treat it as a minor clerical error. This means the case will go to trial and you risk a greater fine and court costs.
Old 26 August 2009, 08:22 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

this has come up time and time again -- i.e. small errors in the paper work

the courts have the power and discretion to change them “on the fly” so to speak

so it would have them changed, then convict you, based on the changed evidence – lets say the copper has written down the wrong registration.

according to “Mr Loophole” the celebrity motoring lawyer the tack it so get convicted on the evidence as presented – then appeal, the appeal process cannot change anything that was used to convict you , so if it was wrong the verdict will be overturned and you will be acquitted.

that will be £500 please

Last edited by hodgy0_2; 26 August 2009 at 08:23 PM.
Old 26 August 2009, 10:12 PM
ritchie21
Scooby Regular

Actually that's not true. An appeal hearing in the Crown Court is de novo - completely new hearing. It is irrelevant what was presented in the magistrates court to secure the conviction - it's a completely fresh hearing and new evidence can be adduced if the prosecutor sees fit and it has been disclosed to the defence in good time.

I've prosecuted and defended many an appeal in the Crown Court which is conducted and presented in an entirely different manner to that in the lower court.

As far as the OP goes, just pay up! If you take it to trial, the bobby will make a formal statement exhibiting the photographs and the video and will explain his 'error' re the ticket. You WILL lose and will then be liable to a bigger penalty and you'll be hammered for costs.
Old 26 August 2009, 10:21 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I bow to your experience on this Ritchie

I was repeating what “Mr Loophole” told a caller to radio program who had a similiar problem with incorrect details being recorded

obviously dangerous to get legal advice from the internet