Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Where to stop in Chester

Search this Thread

Old 16 August 2009, 11:02 PM
+Doc+
Scooby Senior

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Where to stop in Chester

As title, and what are the best attractions?
Old 17 August 2009, 01:46 PM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you like seafood: Moules a go go

If you don't: Duttons, Chester

Old 17 August 2009, 02:39 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Best Attraction - Oulton Park
Old 17 August 2009, 02:44 PM
+Doc+
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Puff The Magic Wagon!
Best Attraction - Oulton Park
Im not taking the P1 so that's a no no...unless there is some racing going off
Old 17 August 2009, 09:38 PM
dnc
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd pass straight through if I were you! What kind of things are you looking for - quiet/busy pub, commercial/proper nightclub, restaurant, crumpet etc?

Been here for the last 15 years, place is dying IMHO. Very generic. Lots of arseholes.

Was a fairly recent thread about night out in Chester 2-3 months ago.

Let us know what your'e after and will try to be more helpful , you can still
have a good night.

In terms of hotels, the Grosvenor is central and expensive/exclusive, Queens Hotel and a number of other hotels and B and Bs close to the train station. The Mill hotel is quite good, modernish, close to centre and reasonably priced, prob your best bet if the Grosvenor is OTT.

dnc
Old 17 August 2009, 09:40 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

You may consider pseudo-aristocratic sales rep resort Crown Plaza with hardly any parking of its own, but you stick your car in a common car park for £7.50p a day/night.

Its going cheap at the moment. 95 squids for a night, apparently. I am not suggesting Holiday Inn Express, B&Bs etc., for they are a bit below the nose for Scoobynet online standards

Attraction wise, Chester Zoo is the best thing to see in/around Chester. As a replacement to that, you may quite like to enter a club or two at night time in Chester.

Visit www.chetertourist.com or Visit Chester | Quality Accommodation | Attractions | Events | Eating & Drinking for online research.
Old 18 August 2009, 12:23 AM
+Doc+
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by dnc
I'd pass straight through if I were you! What kind of things are you looking for - quiet/busy pub, commercial/proper nightclub, restaurant, crumpet etc?

Been here for the last 15 years, place is dying IMHO. Very generic. Lots of arseholes.

Was a fairly recent thread about night out in Chester 2-3 months ago.

Let us know what your'e after and will try to be more helpful , you can still
have a good night.

In terms of hotels, the Grosvenor is central and expensive/exclusive, Queens Hotel and a number of other hotels and B and Bs close to the train station. The Mill hotel is quite good, modernish, close to centre and reasonably priced, prob your best bet if the Grosvenor is OTT.

dnc
Hmm that's put a downer on it a bit.
It looked a loverly place when we quickly visited after the McRae gathering.

Looking for a few quiet days away without the nipper, good food, good beer, 2 days of activities required, not too expensive...
I checked the Queens out, looks ok, ditch the breccie and head to Witherspoons i expect.
Was looking to have a day at the zoo and maybe some time at the humongous shopping centre.
Old 18 August 2009, 07:01 PM
dnc
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by +Doc+
Hmm that's put a downer on it a bit.
It looked a loverly place when we quickly visited after the McRae gathering.

Looking for a few quiet days away without the nipper, good food, good beer, 2 days of activities required, not too expensive...
I checked the Queens out, looks ok, ditch the breccie and head to Witherspoons i expect.
Was looking to have a day at the zoo and maybe some time at the humongous shopping centre.
Guess it's just familiarity and that bringing out the negative comments. Chester is a nice place to visit, just not the best for a night out IMHO, especially if clubbing is your thing.

Grosvenor park is nice and good for a picnic. Shopping is pretty good. The zoo is top notch. There are a couple of museums and a Roman experience tour thingy. You are closeish to Snowdonia, good fun in the P1.

You have the River Dee, nice in good weather, hire a rowing boat, go on a river cruise. Couple of pubs on the river, the boathouse and ANother (used to be old orleans, can't remember new name)...........ANother is much nicer.

There are some good bars, particularly on Watergate street. Other decent areas are Bridge st/Lower Bridge st and St Werburghs st by the cathedral. Most traditional pubs have been upmarketified, shame as it's nice to spend some time in these aswell as the smarter places. Some pretty decent restaurants too.

If you decide to go for it, I can provide some more info on locations etc as a starter if wanted, but the place is pretty compact and you will soon find most places by your own accord. You have to go to 'Watergates' on Watergrate st, in an old crypt and has a roof terrace (for smokers but good in Summer anyway).

Another hotel worth considering is the one by the race course, again easy walking distance of centre.

HTH

dnc
Old 18 August 2009, 07:32 PM
douglasb
Scooby Regular

I'll preface this by saying that it's 10 years since I stayed there, but Hotel Romano is right in the centre, not expensive, has (had?) secure free parking, and the Italian restaurant on the premises was also pretty reasonable.

dnc may be able to give an up-to-date opinion.
Old 19 August 2009, 12:46 PM
ShyTot
Scooby Regular

We visited last weekend. We stayed in the Mill Hotel (as mentioned above). I very much doubt that we could have done any better in terms of price, positioning etc. Ask for a canal facing room, and not a road facing one though (hugely noisy!)

Something else that has already bee said above is how the place seemed to change from a really nice visitor attraction place to a hell hole at about 7pm (albeit Saturday night).

Next time I go will be for a day visit only...
Old 19 August 2009, 02:06 PM
alpha charlie
Scooby Regular

Work always try and get us in the "Mill" defo cant grumble about location and after the real ales I dont find the rooms that noisy.
AC
Old 19 August 2009, 02:27 PM
j4ckos mate
Scooby Regular

De Vere Carden Park Hotel, Golf Resort & Spa - Hotels in Chester (Nr) - Superbreak
Old 19 August 2009, 03:55 PM
+Doc+
Scooby Senior

Thanks for all the info.
Managed to get a good deal at the Queen Hotel for Bank Holiday monday.
Zoo and shopping here I come, Im from Nottingham so it cant be much worse than that at night!
Old 19 August 2009, 09:16 PM
dnc
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by +Doc+
Thanks for all the info.
Managed to get a good deal at the Queen Hotel for Bank Holiday monday.
Zoo and shopping here I come, Im from Nottingham so it cant be much worse than that at night!
Nice one Doc, let us know how you get on, see what you think of the place. Have a goodun.

dnc