Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Gym advice

Search this Thread

Old 14 August 2009, 07:39 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Gym advice

Not for me, I'm quite happy with my routines .. for a friend of mine, a large bloke ..

Must be 20+ stone, anyway .. he needs to lose weight and do it without dying !

Got him to join the gym yesterday and have had him walking over the last few months .. lost a couple of stone just from walking ..

His diet isn't great but he doen't snack.. no choc, crisps etc ..

What would you suggest exercise (in the gym) wise to start him off ?
Old 14 August 2009, 07:52 AM
nazt
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

(first off im assuming he is of average health and age?) find something hes going to stick at primarily, no good doing the best excercise for fat burning if he hates it and wont keep it up. Walking is an excellent start, is there an option to walk at an incline? a variable programme can keep things ticking over , also cross trainer, and excercise bike just try to keep it interesting primaraly, as you said hes already losing weight, the body will get used to excercise after a time so keep it fresh, change the order of doing things, also it would be benificial to introduce some light weight movements before walking etc in order to reduce his glycogen (fat for fuel) levels prior to the cardio training. there is going to be a point though of no avoiding eventually where his diet will play a large part in his weight loss. glad to see hes started down the road though, keep encouragement high! :-)

Last edited by nazt; 14 August 2009 at 07:54 AM.
Old 14 August 2009, 08:04 AM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Honestly, without personally seeing him, checking his vitals etc, I would suggest a session with a personal trainer.

But if thats not an option I would agree with the above, gentle cardio, and see how he manages. From personal experience, incline walking is a killer lol
Old 14 August 2009, 08:24 AM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get him to speak with a personal trainer for advice.

Personally, I would suggest a slow start on the exercise bikes as it burns fat and is low impact on the joints.

And sort out the diet! Lots of green leaves
Old 14 August 2009, 10:08 AM
mr_D
Scooby Regular

stuff the diet. eating at the right times is important.

lots of proteins and less fats.

3-5 "SMALL" meals a day is better than 1 or 2 big ones. will keep his motabolism working all the time this way. no sweets or crisps, just plenty of water and fish, meats, pasta is best in the morning for the start of the day because of the carbs. crackers,

if he wants to snack then certain nuts and raisens will be ok.

start off by using a cycling machine and cross trainers. its not about how quick he can go its about how long he can go at a steady pace.. (not too slow and not too high).
after the first week start on the cycling machine or crosstrainer first for about 30-60mins. then do light weights. nothing taxing. hes not trying to be the hulk. but light weights will become heavy and this will make muscles stronger and burn calories.

keep doing this until you got an even balance. say an 1 hour a day 5 days a week in total.
Old 14 August 2009, 10:36 AM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd go for the eliptical cross trainers until he loses a few more pounds, minimal impact on the joints.
Diet is the key, get him to avoid all processed carbs and alcohol, and go for complex carbs.

And make sure he wipes down the machines down after he uses them we have some fatty who sweat smells like cheese and onion crisps at our gym. Does she wipe the machines down after? does she ****
Old 14 August 2009, 08:31 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

excellent .. thank you .. he didn't turned up lol .. but hes paid his membership so ...

I went.. had a swim after and am ****ed now..
Old 14 August 2009, 10:08 PM
thesyn
Scooby Regular

All the above sounds great but the fact that he didn't turn up speaks volumes.
If you truly want to help him you are going to have to turn cunning and manipulative in true middle management fashion.
Sounds as if he has no concept of pain and self denial to achieve a lasting goal.
Cross training and static bike an hour a day........never gonna happen.
You need to find or give him motivation ie does he want to be defined and ripped in order to pull women?, if he doesn't explain to him that this is truly more satisfying than food and lager.
I would suggest getting him an appointment with a fit female personal trainer then drag him there.
After that he'll be on the weights and the hulk in no time
+ one about wiping down machines
Old 15 August 2009, 09:36 AM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Maybe he needs a gym like mine. Its been opened in a building that used to be a MacDonalds, so just need to convince the unhealthy ones, that burgers pop out the machines at intervals and they will be sorted

im having a day off today as im officially foofed

lol @ the cheese and onion crisp sweat lol