Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Gatso no white lines

Search this Thread

Old 09 March 2002, 12:22 PM
nigelm
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb

My wife got flashed at by a Gatso but as the road had been resurfaced there were no lines on road. If there was film in the camera can she get off as there is no confirmation?
Old 09 March 2002, 12:29 PM
tonybooth
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Nigel

Firstly determine that the camera is 'live' by borrowing a friends radar detector. If it is not you have nothing to worry about. If it is live a letter to Plod on receipt of the NIP/Summons should suffice.

I would take a picture of the 'scene' showing the lack of lines if the camera is live before the paint them again.

Cheers

TONY
Old 09 March 2002, 12:51 PM
howardb
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Rumour has it there are Gatso's being trialled with the measuring lines removed from the road, to prevent people from slamming on when they see the markings. They can still colaborate the radar firing using other means.
Old 09 March 2002, 03:13 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Cool

In the situation that I recently saw with a Gatso & no lines, one of the cars around hauled anchors sharply after the flashes went off
Old 09 March 2002, 05:34 PM
scrappydoo
Scooby Regular

Believe it or not i managed once to shave a few mph off in between flashes which was about half a second, i noticed the first line and slammed the anchors on. Didnt get fined. hehe!!!!!
Old 10 March 2002, 12:21 AM
Mick
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Angry

It must contribute to road hazards, having people anchor up on sight of a GATSO (just in case ).

Also flashes from cameras have given me quite astart on occasion! - I wonder if there are statistics on the number of road accidents caused by GATSOs

Mick
Old 10 March 2002, 12:25 AM
scrappydoo
Scooby Regular

Just down from where i live there is a gatso. Ive been living here for 1 year and in that time ive seen 4 accidents involing cars-cars, bikes-cars due to sharp breaking and thats not counting the ones i havent seen.

Old 10 March 2002, 12:56 AM
Katana
Scooby Regular

Thets nothing, you no the bugs that gets squashed on your windscreen at high speed? Rumours has it that they (the government) actually measure the kinetic energy on impact when the bug hits your windscreen and the data is then transmited to a police receiver. Your speed is then calculated from the kinetic energy turned to heat from a simple 3rd graders physics formulae. The conservation of mementum version of Gatso does not exist yet however.

Be very afraid...
Old 10 March 2002, 06:14 AM
Luke
BANNED

Wink

Katana's on the dope again!!
Old 10 March 2002, 07:18 AM
nigelm
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the advice guys.
Old 10 March 2002, 08:55 AM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wink

Scrappydoo,

Apparently if you change your speed by more than 3mph..within the whitelined are the camera assumes and error and aborts the picture apparently.. was an article in Motorcycle News about is a few months back. So you did good to remove more than 3mph!!!

JGM
Old 10 March 2002, 10:22 AM
divecon
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

My other half was a serving Met copper so I got all the gen on cameras and I have a few friends serving as traffic.

Basically, the new cameras are digital so no the "no film, no convictions" concept goes out of the window, they have huge HDs and loads of storage. Some of the new cameras do not need lines and a previous poster is correct about the removal of lines due to accidents.

The activation of the camera is tested each week and has to be within a specified range otherwise the camera is deactivated until it can be repaired, however the strobe unit is still kept active.

Remember, if you get flashed once that is not an activation, usually this is triggered as the driver accelerates at the end of the 'ladder', it's triggered as the driver leaves the area. If it flashes twice then that is a conviction

There are quite a few sites that show how all the new cameras work and where they all are. In fact some Police Forces distribute this information openly.

If anyone wants these sites then let me know and I'll dig them out for you.

Neil
Sussex
Old 10 March 2002, 04:43 PM
scrappydoo
Scooby Regular

JGM,
Well i didnt know that. Thanks for the info mate.. These dam cameras are getting more and more bloody advanced.

regards
scrappy
Old 10 March 2002, 05:52 PM
Katana
Scooby Regular

You calling JFK a liar??! Okay he did lie about the lunar landing decades ago and his assassination, but the other day, he told me in the pub about this. Elvis refuses to believe a word he says but then again, since when is the King ever wrong..
Old 10 March 2002, 07:38 PM
jjones
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the forward facing ones usually triggered by sensors in the road. look at the road in front of the device and you will see 2 parrallel lines about 12 inches apart. Therefore the reference lines are not required.

good luck

Old 10 March 2002, 08:15 PM
tweenierob
Scooby Regular

just recieved my letter courtesy of the scum, i was flashed by a mobile unit that was set up behind a f****n thames water van, there were no road markings at all, even the photo of my car shows that there are no markings, the camera did flash twice but i think that was just because they were so impressed by my car that they wanted a picture for themselves!!! maybe the camera uses a lazer system, 60 in a 40-A road-no houses-no people-no threat to anyone, but an easy way to make some more money out of the motorist!!
bah gatso.....
Old 10 March 2002, 09:12 PM
Yorkie
Scooby Regular

Tweenierob

That is bad luck m8, much sympathy. I thought the Government (if you can call them that) were supposed to have enforced local police authorities to make cameras more visible, ie. no hiding them behind vans, bushes, signs, trees etc. Looks like a case of the lip service again. Its really shocking whats happening, let all the thieving scum walk free from sentence but break the speed limit a little and MY GOD, off to the dungeons for you that is a complete and utter sin, you should be hung drawn and quartered thrown in a cell for life. WHAT UTTER B*****KS the UK justice system has become

RANT OVER
Yorkie
Old 03 October 2002, 09:28 PM
howardb
Scooby Regular

<deleted>

[Edited by howardb - 3/10/2002 9:30:54 PM]