Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

DVLA Advice please...

Search this Thread

Old 08 March 2002, 07:03 PM
polarbearit
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb

2 weeks ago I placed a deposit on a lovely R33 GTR, which had a private plate. I didn't want to spend £2k on the plate so the owner agreed to transfer the plate off the car over the counter so the sale could be completed quickly. The DVLA in luton refused to transfer the plate over the counter and said it would take up to five days for all the documentation to be returned.

In the meantime I've sold my car and the new owner wants it ASAP. Today the documents finally arrived, but the new reg plate and V5 were not issued as the DVLA need to arrange an inspection on the car. This has been scheduled for 14th March (after which time they'll reissue the V5 which takes 3 weeks :mad. Now when I put a deposit on the car there were no others available... Now there are a couple. I can't really wait 1 month to get the car so I'm not sure what to do?

Has anyone else had to have their car inspected by the DVLA? Any suggestions or should I just look at some other cars?

DVLA advised me not to buy the car/hand over money until the V5 is returned or I won't be insured [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img] [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

Thanks,

Jon

Old 08 March 2002, 08:46 PM
polarbearit
Scooby Regular

Question

Anyone else had to have a car inspected for this reason???
Old 08 March 2002, 08:52 PM
carl
Scooby Regular

When changing plates over, your local VRO always has to inspect. They just check that the donating car has a valid tax disc, and re-issue one with the new plate on. Having inspected it, they should be able to tell you the number plate over the phone within a couple of days (that's what happened when I had my new import registered). Then you can get the plates made up and tell the insurance company.

Phone your insurers -- in my 'new EU import' case they were able to insure on the VIN until the registration was sorted out.

HTH
Old 08 March 2002, 08:58 PM
polarbearit
Scooby Regular

Red face

The problem is more confusing than that, they've already had the MOT/Tax etc and are requesting an inspection at a garage (KT Autos I think) in luton (the same town as the sellers local VRO), the seller has also been told not to try and contact the garage prior... All seems a little strange to me and particularly frustrating as I sold my car when the DVLA advised that new plate details would be available within a week (over a week ago). Just annoying as I'll have to retax and insure my existing car at the end of this month [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]. Which is bound to leave me further out of pocket...
Old 08 March 2002, 09:03 PM
Spudgun GTR
Scooby Regular

Wink

when or IF i sell my baby, she'll already come with the ultimate gtr plate
da punani lurve it!
Old 08 March 2002, 09:10 PM
polarbearit
Scooby Regular

Cool

LOL, I didn't fancy BI GTR that was/is on the car... Hence the bloody wait.

Spud your new plate is DA Bollox - big up da essex massive
Old 08 March 2002, 09:17 PM
carl
Scooby Regular

Originally posted by polarbearit:
The problem is more confusing than that, they've already had the MOT/Tax etc and are requesting an inspection at a garage (KT Autos I think) in luton

I've got no idea then
Old 09 March 2002, 10:40 AM
polarbearit
Scooby Regular

Question

Anyone else???
Old 09 March 2002, 11:04 AM
lpitt
Scooby Regular

If you get hold of the V750 documentation (cherished plate retention/transfer) it says on the back that the DVLA have the right to request an inspection of the donor/donating vehicle for the plate. Apparently they do this at random.

When I put a personal plate on my MY98 recently they asked to see it, and then agreed to come outside and view it in the carpark there and then.

Since then I've sold that car, sold the personal plate, purchased another one which I put on my Type R Civic yesterday. Whole process took 5 minutes, walked into the DVLA and walked out with a new tax disc. Have literally just fitted the plates.

My guess is that you were just the random selection, although if this is an import then the 'random' element could be a little less due to the issue of stolen imports at the moment.

Laurence
Old 09 March 2002, 11:38 AM
polarbearit
Scooby Regular

Its a real pain, the car is an import but I've done a full check on the identity which is came back correct, isn't on the interpol register as stolen etc...

Really not sure what to do now, and to make it worse I've been unable to get hold of the seller since finding this out. Getting me [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img] now!
Old 09 March 2002, 07:07 PM
Spudgun GTR
Scooby Regular

Talking

LMAO @ jon....BI GTR ha ha ha ha! jon, or should that be joan chill mate, it'll come good soon enough. its frustrating i know.if ya wanna natter GTR's, just send an email mate, u have my address

boyakasha!
Old 09 March 2002, 07:59 PM
Jayemm
Scooby Regular

I agree, I think you were a random check. When I took my private plate off my last car I sent the reg doc away and when I received the new tax disc and the new reg No. the paperwork with it states that I should not sell the car until I got all the new paperwork through and that they may request to inspect the car which they did not.

The bloke selling the car should have changed the reg before putting it up for sale.
Old 09 March 2002, 08:18 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

I was told by my local VRO they can ask to inspect the vehicle but its very rare.
Old 09 March 2002, 08:20 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

Jayemm is spot on and exactly the advise I give in this thread as it save so much time and hassle :

http://www.scoobynet.co.uk/bbs/threa...threadid=78244
Old 09 March 2002, 09:43 PM
Spudgun GTR
Scooby Regular

Cool

still LMFAO!!!! why would ANYONE want to put a plate like that on a car, especially a GTR? and then expect YOU to pay 2k for it!!!???
i dont blame you at all for not wanting that plate..i would never have let you live it down
get one like mine mate....theres one VERY similar on the dvla right now!!!! and MUCH less than 2k
Old 09 March 2002, 09:44 PM
polarbearit
Scooby Regular

I have spoken to the seller now, and am a little more chilled now. Present owner is going to ring the DVLA and say he needs to sell the car immediately... I'm also going to look at a 450bhp+ Supra and a 550bhp Skyline tomorrow hopefully. So may have a backup plan now

The owner did offer the car with or without a plate in the advert, I guess thats why he didn't transfer it off the car first... I didn't want to pay the extra for the plate (£2k ) as I don't really like it.